KC visit in October '05

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

KC visit in October '05

Post by Roanoker »

If pictures are missing, see them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/115393943@ ... 386317146/.

Here are a few photos I snapped while visiting family in KC last October.

From the front seat of a speeding vehicle.

First shot of Union Station.

Street scene, fussed up in Photoshop to fit on 4:3 computer screen.

Crayola shop sign in Crown Center.

Somebody likes wine.

Statue at Classic Cup entrance. (Should have rotated the little guy a bit.)

Regimented dispensers on the Plaza.

One of many beautiful Plaza towers.

Last edited by Roanoker on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: KC visit in October '05

Post by ComandanteCero »

cool! thanks for sharing.  That downtown shot is one i rarely see, since i'm usually coming in from south (along I-35), west, or north.  I also liked the dispenser shot, hehe.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

ComandanteCero wrote: cool! thanks for sharing.  That downtown shot is one i rarely see, since i'm usually coming in from south (along I-35), west, or north.  I also liked the dispenser shot, hehe.
Thanks!
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

thank you!  where were you visiting from?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

^oh, nevermind.  I just saw your profile.^
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Roanoker,

If your avatar is a picture of you, you look like a lot like someone I knew in NKC back in the '70s. Name was Peggy.  Might that be you?  Please forgive me if I'm making some terrible mistake.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

missingkc wrote: Roanoker,

If your avatar is a picture of you, you look like a lot like someone I knew in NKC back in the '70s. Name was Peggy.  Might that be you?  Please forgive me if I'm making some terrible mistake.
missingKC~

No problem. But I'm not Peggy. I did live north of the river and even worked in NKC many years ago. I took that picture of myself about a year ago while on vacation.

I miss KC, too!  :(
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Roanoker wrote: Here are a few photos I snapped while visiting family in KC last October.
And here are a few more.

Downtown is the vanishing point.

Looking north on Grand from the glass-enclosed pedestrian walkway.

Union Station through glass.

Nice buildings.

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Here are a few more pics from the same trip to KC.

See how the new reflects the old.

Inside Union Station. I remember when this giant room was filled with lots and lots of people, listening for the announcement that their trains were ready for boarding. I can still hear the zillion echos and see the subdued lights, as if they were in a Rembrandt painting. I was four years old, and I could ride a train to St. Louis with my mother for free. I remember the big Pontiac sign on Signboard Hill, all lit up with computerized lights. But there were no computers then, so it must have been something else. But that's a different story. Here's the way it looked a few months ago, only hinting at its former glory. Sigh.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

i'm glad the rent-a-cops didn't give you guff about photographing union station. they've been known to in the past...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Tosspot wrote: i'm glad the rent-a-cops didn't give you guff about photographing union station. they've been known to in the past...
And *I'm* glad I didn't know that! Since I was also taking many pictures of my two grown sons, husband, daughter-in-law, and three-year-old grandson, I suppose I didn't fit any of the suspect profiles.

However, if the picture poses any kind of security risk for Kansas City folks, please let me know, and I'll remove it.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Roanoker wrote: However, if the picture poses any kind of security risk for Kansas City folks, please let me know, and I'll remove it.
I'm sure there are no security risks. Just people on power trips.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Nice pictures!

Just chiming in about Union Station.... I was there about a month ago and took some pictures, the rent-a-cops seen me and didn't say a word about it so who knows. Maybe one particular individual takes it upon himself to be the photography police  :lol:
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

KCLover wrote: Nice pictures!

Just chiming in about Union Station.... I was there about a month ago and took some pictures, the rent-a-cops seen me and didn't say a word about it so who knows. Maybe one particular individual takes it upon himself to be the photography police  :lol:
Thanks!

Another thing about the security issue. if taking pictures is not allowed, then let visitors know via signs well before entry.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

KCLover wrote: Nice pictures!

Or maybe some individuals stand out as shady-looking characters.  :wink:
A fool and your money are soon united.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

And I can say that because I suspect that I've been thought of as one on occasion. 8-[
A fool and your money are soon united.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Here are a few more pictures from the October trip. All four focus on Union Station.

The real picture is the right half. I copied and flipped it so it would fit in a 4:3 frame.

I presume these are basement windows.

A bit further away.

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I'm still going through labor pains, trying to upload selected pictures from the October trip. Here are five more.

This is the glass-enclosed pedestrian walkway from the outside.

I'll bet this "deodorant stick" building is finished by now.

I worked at Traders Bank when it was new (in 1962), and it was "Traders National Bank," a great place to work.

This is the Kansas City Star newspaper building, isn't it? A friend in Albuquerque saw the picture and was fascinated by its inverted pyramid shape.

My same friend commented on this picture. "that incredible dog seems to be instinctively expressing a rather quiet, classy, dignified, self-assured, slightly superior -  upper management kind of expression"

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Here are more pictures from the same October trip.

From a cottage shop near Lee's Summit.

Farm road near Lee's Summit.

Son's pug, helping himself to a treat.

Lake near Lee's Summit.

Same lake.

Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

Here are a few more pics from the October trip. These were taken at the Atkins-Nelson (or is it Nelson-Atkins?) Museum of Art.

This one bears an explanation. These fresh flowers were sitting on our table when we ate lunch in the gallery. I used Photoshop to cut out everything but the flowers and the vase they were sitting in.