ONGOING: Fix this House!

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: ONGOING: Fix this House!

Post by FangKC »

The Victor Beutner House at 1800 E. 39th (39th and Forest). It's in the Mannheim Park neighborhood.  This is a Louis Curtiss-designed house, completed in 1911, that is in terrible distress and needs a savior.

There is no fifth destination.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sportster wrote: Looks like Sauerschloss in KCK.

Sportster
...if memory serves correctly
There is also a remarkably identical mansion in east Lawrence, perhaps a little better preserved - Perhaps it is a very early version of the modern "McMansion".    :D
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

AllThingsKC wrote: Well, I didn't go inside.  I got as close as I could to the back door without actually going inside, and took the photo.

Nice house!  Where is it located?
That's good!

Here's a STRANGE one....it's out in BFE Lee's Summit near rural parts of Ward Road.  It's like a lighthouse, but it's in a field.  My friends parents almost bought the land to bulldoze and put a house on.  I'm glad they didn't, it should be rennovated as a rural oddity.

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

The Sauer Castle is suppose to be renovated soon. I have been inside of it and it is prety awesome....those crappy fences they put up didn't stop me and my friends.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Whatever happened to the plans a few years back to make it the centerpiece of a large housing development similar to Longview?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Interesting thread guys. I appreciate it.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

moderne wrote: Whatever happened to the plans a few years back to make it the centerpiece of a large housing development similar to Longview?
Oh!  I almost forgot about that.  I used to live near it.  I think the last time I was there, they were working on that development.
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The land to the right of Sauer Castle has a house on it, in it lives the caretaker (Mark if my memory is accurate).  He's a personal friend of Carl Lopp, owner and trustee of Sauer Castle.  He came out one day this summer while I was snapping pictures (wobbled out is more like it, he was WASTED drunk) and chatted with me.  Through globs of flying saliva and rubbery lips, I made out that he appreciated me coming during the day and not at night, that he never gets any sleep because the guard dogs are always barking and he has to chase away tresspassers.  He claims to live on the property for free, his only job to scare away people.  He also told me that the Lopp/Sauer family descendants were coming to KC (Carl lives in NY last time I did internet sleuthing - others unknown) this past summer to have a picnic on the grounds and discuss what to do with it.  I don't know if this happend because he didn't know when it would occur.  Anyone close by see anything?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

By the way, there is a female spirit there, believed to be the ghost of Henrietta Hadley-Lyman, first owner of the house when it was built in 1901. She was the sister of former MO Governor Herbert Hadley.
What?!  How were you able to determine this "ghost" had female reproductive parts?
I think the "female spirit" actually resided in your head.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

PumpkinStalker wrote: That's good!

Here's a STRANGE one....it's out in BFE Lee's Summit near rural parts of Ward Road.  It's like a lighthouse, but it's in a field.  My friends parents almost bought the land to bulldoze and put a house on.  I'm glad they didn't, it should be rennovated as a rural oddity.

Given the cupola on this one, I'm saying its part of Longview, working quarters of some sort.

Sportster
...maybe check the inventory on that one
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Wasn't there a horse-racing track at Longview?
There is no fifth destination.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

FangKC wrote: Wasn't there a horse-racing track at Longview?
There was a large horse barn that is now turned into an elementary school.

The building I pictured above is no where near the Longview compound.  I'm sure the structure has a useful purpose, but I highly doubt it had anything to do with Longview.  It's not in the same geographic area nor is it at all close to the materials used for Longview.  Most of the buildings were stucco with red tile roofs.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Critical_Mass wrote: What?!  How were you able to determine this "ghost" had female reproductive parts?
Because she was bitching at him?
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Critical_Mass wrote: What?!  How were you able to determine this "ghost" had female reproductive parts?
No she wasn't bitching at me - although I DID marry a high school debate coach.
Do the math! LOL!

Say what you will, but she appeared at the foot of the bed one night, dressed in a shirtwaist. (look it up)
There were other instances as well - footsteps coming up the stairs, cold drafts where and when there shouldn't have been, things moved, things left "out".

Sportster
...we saw what we saw
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Sportster wrote: No she wasn't bitching at me - although I DID marry a high school debate coach.
Do the math! LOL!

Say what you will, but she appeared at the foot of the bed one night, dressed in a shirtwaist. (look it up)
There were other instances as well - footsteps coming up the stairs, cold drafts where and when there shouldn't have been, things moved, things left "out".

Sportster
...we saw what we saw
Oh No! First Dennis Kucinich and Shirley McLaine and now Sportster!
Last edited by bbqboy on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Sportster wrote: No she wasn't bitching at me - although I DID marry a high school debate coach.
Do the math! LOL!

Sportster
...we saw what we saw
cool!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Sportster wrote: Say what you will, but she appeared at the foot of the bed one night, dressed in a shirtwaist. (look it up)
:shock:
KC is the way to be!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

http://www.csun.edu/~ghy7463/mw2.html
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

bbqboy wrote: Oh No! First Dennis Kucinich and Shirley McLaine and now Sportster!
:D :D

Sportster
...heartily guffawing!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

if i saw a ghost in my house i would move instantly.