ONGOING: Fix this House!

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: ONGOING: Fix this House!

Post by PumpkinStalker »

FangKC wrote: Tip off one of the local reporters.
That's a damn fine idea.  If it wasn't for the bloodsucking management of Union Station and diverting ALL funds there and not a penny to Corinthian...

So why don't they get rid of the place?  Donate it to the R.A. Long Historical Society, who wants to start fixing it up.  Instead, they have historically priceless carriages and other Long memorabillia that sits in rotting buildings behind the mansion, hidden from public view.  They need to return the mansion to a museum about the Longs and their legacy on KC instead of about fur trappers and indians.  And get rid of the radioactive rotting bison.  Hmf! ](*,)
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Couple of things........

Sportster, aren't the Greenlawns condominiums?  If so, assembledge for renovation could be difficult.

PS, sorry to see the state of the 3rd floor.  It wasn't a Smithsonian, but that used to be a pretty respectable presentation of Indian Artifacts, a gun collection, some cool shrunken heads and Inca mummies, plus an igloo mock-up that only kids could squeeze through the entry.

Anyone know if the big fundraising drive to rehab Corinthian Hall got under way?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Indian artifacts collection was donated by D.B. Dyer, who supposedly assembled (at the time of donation) the largest collection of Indian artifacts in the USA.  Dyer had been a federal Indian agent at one time.  His collection was donated to the Kansas City Public Library, and it ended up at the Kansas City Museum.  The collection is reportedly headed for display at Union Station.
There is no fifth destination.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

loftguy wrote: PS, sorry to see the state of the 3rd floor.  It wasn't a Smithsonian, but that used to be a pretty respectable presentation of Indian Artifacts, a gun collection, some cool shrunken heads and Inca mummies, plus an igloo mock-up that only kids could squeeze through the entry.
I'll bet it was pretty neat when it was done, and in working order back in the 50s.  But right now, it sits and decays from water damage.  Rotting window sills on the third floor let in water.  Glass cases in the rooms have broken glass strewn about.  And well, you see my pictures.  I would REALLY be interested in seeing the collection Dyer donated way back when.  Hopefully everything is preserved.

The first floor formal living room of Corinthian is a joke.  It has a sign saying that the period furniture has been removed while rennovations and construction are taking place.  WHAT?!  What rennovations and construction?!  That sign was there when I was a kid taking field trips to this sorry place.  The only thing worth seeing is the drugstore in the basement.  You can get something to drink if you can find someone that works it.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

loftguy wrote: Couple of things........

Sportster, aren't the Greenlawns condominiums?  If so, assembledge for renovation could be difficult.

PS, sorry to see the state of the 3rd floor.  It wasn't a Smithsonian, but that used to be a pretty respectable presentation of Indian Artifacts, a gun collection, some cool shrunken heads and Inca mummies, plus an igloo mock-up that only kids could squeeze through the entry.

Anyone know if the big fundraising drive to rehab Corinthian Hall got under way?
Regarding Greenlawn - Some are and some aren't condos- depending on the building. Some old guy named Bill was renting some of the units in the complex, but since the one burned a few months ago, its been vacant. It'd be a perfect pilot project for that corner. Some well placed stone walls on the frontage and some updating and pedestrian lighting and landscaping woiuld do wonders. Yoiu could basically do five units per building with a "penthouse" unit or do three "flats" by combining the units on each floor. 301 Bellefontaine is a perfect example of how the concept could be accomplished.

As for Corinthian Hall, there are a number of groups involved in the effort to bring back the Beaux Arts mansion on Gladstone. FOKCM is probably the most powerful one at this point - they've easily got 6-figs in the bank and they'll be starting some projects here after the windows and doors are restored. They do have plans to restore the grounds once the stables are de-converted back to display Loula Long's carraiges and stuff.

The Robert A. Long Historical Society is another. Basically they were formed because they couldn't get along w/ USKC and FOKCM. They've got a documentary (if you can call it that) premiering this Sunday somewhere off site, at the same time as my historic postcard lecture at KCM. It'll be aired on KCPT this Thanksgiving night at 7:00 pm. I only lampoon it because they try and tell the entire R.A. Long story in 30 minutes. We'll just let that sink in for a minute.

Then there's the often meddlesome KCMMAB (Kansas City Museum Mayor's Advisory Board)
Not exactly sure of what it is they really do - if there was ever a smoke & mirrors committee - this is it.  Supposedly, they're supposed to kiss or kill anything that USKC or KCMO does with or to the building in terms of restoration and exhibits (?) They don't have any money, not sure how their members are appointed, (think "Turk" in the night) or what they do other than micro-manage KCM and USKC.
This is the bunch USKC is at odds with virtually all the time and the mutual fingerpointing that ensues is tragically comical. 

If you go to CH, all you have to do to see the meddling is stand in front of the place and look at the signs that ID the place as KCM.
The one that KCMMAB had placed over the front door, atop the Corinthian capital'd columns that says "Kansas City Museum of History & Science, (the "old" name for the Museum) written in an ever so lovely, non-historic Century Gothic Font.
Its garrish. Its not historically accurate (historical accuracy be damned with this bunch) and I railed about it in an editorial stating it needed to come down. Even the President of KCMMAB finally admitted it wasn't "exactly what we were looking for". It was done specifically to send a message to USKC (Andi Udris) as to who had the power and who didn't.

Now, in response, out at the southeast corner, hanging on the fence is a "new" sign, placed by USKC (Andi Udris) that says "Kansas City Museum at Corinthian Hall". (part of Andi's "spoke" museum concept where US is the hub, and there are satellite museums throughout the city, Like CH, Shoal Creek, etc., all affiliated w/US, like spokes in a wheel) While its nnot historicall accurate either, its a little more tasteful in terms of size and scope.

Can you say pissin match? Hatfields & McCoys? Montagues & Capulets?
They're still blaming the other one for the recent loss of accreditation.

So, in true Northeast style - there's so many cooks in this kitchen, it'll be a small miracle if any of the major projects on the drawing board get completed at CH. And tragically, the entity that will suffer will be Kansas City's museum going public and true to my predictions over the years, CH will end up being mothballed as an "unattractive albatross" in an unsafe neighborhood (per USKC) and it'll be auctioned off to the highest bidder.

Sportster
...prove me wrong andi
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Sportster, interesting post.  A lot of people probably didn't realize that there are different entities all trying to have their way.  What is your role in this, seems like you have a vested interest of some sort...fill me in.

My take, and hopefully a lot of peoples take is quite simple...
Why can't we all just get along?!

First things first, STABILIZE THE ROTTING BUILDING.  Can you give some details about fixing windows and doors...when will this happen?  Cost estimate?  Who is contracted to do the work?

Second, I am very cautious about what I say regarding the Long "documentary" because I have a very close person to me on the board of R.A. Long Historical Society.  I hear some details, bits and pieces.  The documentary is only 30 minutes long, and I agree with you, I am skeptical of how we can tell this story in 30 minutes.  I was completely shocked when my source told me this months ago.  The film will be screened...which I'm going to attend, this coming Sunday at a fairly fitting place with a nice new theater.  Any guesses?  I will have to wait and see it Sunday before I say any ill statemements about the film. 

Couple side notes about RALHS.  They recently were donated a full bred male Hackney horse, a very strong, rambunctious, high stepping breed.  His name is Louie, and the breed is kind of a dying thing.  These were the horses Loula typically drove at races and showings.  They have successfully bred this horse with another full Hackney which is now pregnant.  A goal is to be able to take the horse to the American Royal and show it during an intermission of some sorts between judging.  It's not a category anymore, but the vp of the RALHS hopes to get Kemper/American Royal to eventually have one for Hackneys.  Lofty goal, but have to start somewhere.

I'm just pleased to know that SOMEONE has some money and is going to put a few pennies into the beautiful building.

PumpkinStalker...
With CH, every penny helps

:lol:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Thanks, Sportster.  I promise that when I become supreme potentate (think Pendergast) I will straighten out the mess at Corinthian.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Schugg and I drove around the city for a little bit today trying to find more houses.  We found this one at 1221 Olive in KCMO.  We're not sure what year it was built, but a neighbor told us it's the same kind of house used in Cheaper By the Dozen.  Here you go:

1. Front (house faces West):

3. Northside:

4. Southside:

6. Back:

More to come later...
KC is the way to be!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

I think this house has great potential. It's huge and right now as it sits, it prolly has about five apartments. I was suprised on how great in shape the exterior is.  fang, do you know the type of architecture this is?

my pics:

more to come.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Here's another house near 14th & Brooklyn (just North of I-70):

KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

And lastly for today, here's one near 7th & Oakland in Kansas City, KS:

KC is the way to be!
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

they have some work to do with this house.   
can't quite make out the style of this.

not sure if this one can be saved. :?
Last edited by schugg on Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

AllThingsKC wrote: And lastly for today, here's one near 7th & Oakland in Kansas City, KS:

my guess is italianate (sp?)  this house should not have asbestos siding or really just look the way it does right now.

here's mine:

PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The red brick one....WOW....now THAT is what I call disrepair. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

First of all, much praise for seeking out new examples for the "Fix This House" thread.  Good work.   =D>

I'm not an architectural historian, but I'll wager some guesses.

The house at 1221 Olive doesn't appear to be a pure style.

It's from the Victorian era, and I'd guess it would be deemed Eclectic (borrowing from several styles). It has Dutch Colonial-style embellishments in the shape of the upper peaks. I would guess it was built between 1887-1899.  It is a splendid old house, and could become a trophy house.

The house at 14th and Brooklyn appears to be a Victorian in the Richardson Romanesque-style with some Italianate elements. I would guess it was built between 1887-1890.  It's in terrible shape, but could be salvaged.

The house at 7th and Oakland is an Victorian Italianate-style.  It has a small mansard-style roof on the right window bay structure.  It looks like it might have had a mansard-roof structure on the tower at one time that has been removed. If that was the case, the house would also be in the French Second Empire-style. That enclosed structure over the front porch appears to have been an open porch at one time. I'm guessing it was built between 1886-1889.

I'd love to see what's under the siding.

I'd be interested to see what the architects think.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AllThingsKC wrote: Schugg and I drove around the city for a little bit today trying to find more houses.  We found this one at 1221 Olive in KCMO.  We're not sure what year it was built, but a neighbor told us it's the same kind of house used in Cheaper By the Dozen.  Here you go:

1. Front (house faces West):
This house in on Garfield actually.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

FangKC wrote: This house in on Garfield actually.
#-o  Oops, sorry.  I couldn't remember.  I think we looked at a house on Olive, too.
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

About the white Italianate Victorain:

On the tower, the arched windows look like something else is hiding underneath the wood.  In other words, like Fang said, it appears to be clad in something definitely not original.  What's underheath those arches that make the windows look arched but actually aren't?  Wonder if we looked up the tax records from when the city photographed all the buildings in KC if we'd see something different or if the cladding was added before that....

And for that matter, were private residences included in the photographs the city took or was it only commercial businesses?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't remember the year, but at one  point the city or county photographed every structure in the city limits.  It might have been a WPA "make work" program during the Depression years, I can't remember the details.

About those arched windows, that technique was used a lot in Victorian structures, the fake arch made of wood instead of stone or brick casements.   You can see a similar treatment in the Union Local Hall Building on the NW corner of 10th and Central in Downtown KCMO.   That building was built before 1900.  It was cheaper to fake the arched window frame than to make one.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

FangKC wrote: I can't remember the year, but at one  point the city or county photographed every structure in the city limits.  It might have been a WPA "make work" program during the Depression years, I can't remember the details.

About those arched windows, that technique was used a lot in Victorian structures, the fake arch made of wood instead of stone or brick casements.  You can see a similar treatment in the Union Local Hall Building on the NW corner of 10th and Central in Downtown KCMO.  That building was built before 1900.  It was cheaper to fake the arched window frame than to make one.
I could have sworn I said that!
PumpkinStalker wrote: Wonder if we looked up the tax records from when the city photographed all the buildings in KC if we'd see something different or if the cladding was added before that....

And for that matter, were private residences included in the photographs the city took or was it only commercial businesses?
Yup, I did!  :lol: