The Mixx

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

The Mixx

Post by tat2kc »

Not sure if its been mentioned, but in the same building as Chipolte, by the Plaza Library, is a great new restaurant called The Mixx. Excellent made to order salads, sandwhiches, and pastas. Very reasonable and open till 9pm. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: The Mixx

Post by Paintfumes »

Wow, thanks.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

We just went there for lunch on Friday.  The food and selection were excellent.

Website is www.mixxingitup.com
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

I live right down the street from the MIXX and I'd never been there until today. I was there on a "business" luncheon with some atmospheric scientists from my department and a visiting representative from the National Center for Atmospheric Research (just thought I'd mention that, I felt so important dining with such key figures in the field amid the slew of "corporate douchebags").

What did I think? Well, the food was delicious, I must admit that. The setting however, although it does provided a very metropolitan feel to that part of the city, was less pleasant. It reminds me of a cafeteria, which was one of the reasons I was so reluctant to go in the first place. When I dine out I expect to be served and have someone else clear the table for me. That's the whole point of eating out, right? I also expect to be able to hear what the person across the table from me is saying. It was incredibly noisy. I have mixed feelings about the place (no pun intended), but just to be fair, I'm sure I'll give it another try, eventually. But not during peak business hours.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

From the outside the Mixx looks just like a school or company cafeteria.  Makes me eat my meal in like 3 minutes :P :P
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

beccanator wrote: I

What did I think? Well, the food was delicious, I must admit that. The setting however, although it does provided a very metropolitan feel to that part of the city, was less pleasant. It reminds me of a cafeteria, which was one of the reasons I was so reluctant to go in the first place.
I think the atmosphere is part of the point. It is like a modern, Euro-cafeteria.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: I think the atmosphere is part of the point. It is like a modern, Euro-cafeteria.
they're latching onto a trend... fast-casual. places like chipotle, potbelly, panera, cosi, noodles&co. are all jumping on the same bandwagon. the reason? people want food fast, but are tired of "unhealthy" (read: fried) options.

i don't think mixx was ever considered a destination restaurant.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Had lunch here today for the first time. I've never been to the Library before, but that's a neat little area. The Mixx itself is cool, but tiny. It needs to be about double its size. The line area where you order is cramped and confusing - so much that they have a person there to explain to you the process. It need not be that complicated.

It reminds me a lot of Cosi. Even some of the sandwiches and salads were the same as Cosi's. The sandwiches - Cousin Tony, an italian sandwich, and Thanksgiving Delight, a turkey with cranberry sauce were very good and the side salad was excellent. The place was absolutely packed, and like I said, its just way too small for the business they seem to be getting.

Its a little on the pricey side for lunch. Still far less than you'd pay at a sit down place, but more than you'd pay at say Planet Sub. But the quality is better.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

I had take out last night.  Always good and the macaroons are the best on the planet!!  Yeah, they do need to figure out the line process. I usually see Jo Marie Scaglia directing traffic on Friday or Sat. nights.  I was roomies with her brother Phil at KU for awhile.  I believe he's a silent partner.  Great family.  Happy it's doing well, because it's a great easy option on the way home from work.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Had lunch here today for the first time. I've never been to the Library before, but that's a neat little area. The Mixx itself is cool, but tiny. It needs to be about double its size. The line area where you order is cramped and confusing - so much that they have a person there to explain to you the process. It need not be that complicated.

It reminds me a lot of Cosi. Even some of the sandwiches and salads were the same as Cosi's. The sandwiches - Cousin Tony, an italian sandwich, and Thanksgiving Delight, a turkey with cranberry sauce were very good and the side salad was excellent. The place was absolutely packed, and like I said, its just way too small for the business they seem to be getting.

Its a little on the pricey side for lunch. Still far less than you'd pay at a sit down place, but more than you'd pay at say Planet Sub. But the quality is better.
Sounds like they're pretty successful...the reviews in the papers have probably helped.

Hopefully they'll open new locations in the urban core if they continue their success.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Whats the life expectancy of a place like this anymore?

After the initial Buzz wears off.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Steve52 wrote: Whats the life expectancy of a place like this anymore?

I think it'll be just fine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Steve52 wrote: Whats the life expectancy of a place like this anymore?

It's not really initial buzz if it's actually good and fills a definite niche. I do agree that there is a definite life expectancy for most restaurants, but going with the fast casual concept for gourmet-minded taste probably ensures a long and prosperous life.

I don't think the KC restaurant scene is nearly as fickle as say Chicago or maybe even MPLS. It's hard to believe that if you run a good kitchen, have good staff and a good location that you'd go out of business in this town.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

I have heard from the owner Jo Marie that she is looking to expand into the neighboring space because business is so good.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

paisstat wrote: I have heard from the owner Jo Marie that she is looking to expand into the neighboring space because business is so good.
please remember to tell this woman (she's always there, it seems) that you've driven from X part of the metro to visit her establishment. i tell her every time i'm there that she needs to open up a downtown location ASAP.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

This place is the bomb. Not just for the food, but the service. I'm sure they're doing quite well, but it is a business that truly deserves one's dollar.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

There is a Mixx clone opening in downtown L called (ingredient). Too bad we can't get the real thing. Any venture capitalists out there?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I work across the street from the Mixx, and although the food is good usually, it's overpriced. But there are just enough yuppies with more money than sense to keep paying $11 for a frickin sandwich.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Tosspot wrote: I work across the street from the Mixx, and although the food is good usually, it's overpriced. But there are just enough yuppies with more money than sense to keep paying $11 for a frickin sandwich.
Yeah...I think the price is right for the demo. Basically, they are charging table service prices for table service foods that you order at a counter.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'm fine with that, if the food is worth it. I would rather pay a bit more for excellent food in a casual setting than paying premium prices for mediocre food in an uppity joint.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin