Gangs and gang-related crime in Kansas City

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Gangs and gang-related crime in Kansas City

Post by KCLover »

What do you guys know about the mafia then and still active mafia in KC? You know Civella and the like?
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

like i said, punk kids!
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

schugg wrote: like i said, punk kids!
I bet you say that to all of the 12 year olds that stick a 9 mm in your face and take your SUV, your wallet and quite possibly your life, just for the sake of initiation.  :shock: :shock:

We're not talkin the "idiot-kid" street gangs like the "Fremont Street Hustlers" or the "9th Street Dogs"that fought in dimly lit streets of the city's east and northeast side back in the 70's and 80's.  We're talkin highly sophisticated "machines" with heirarchies that go all the way to L.A., Chicago or New York.

Stickin your head in the sand doesn't make the problem go away.

Sportster
...best know your colors
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

Sportster wrote: I bet you say that to all of the 12 year olds that stick a 9 mm in your face and take your SUV, your wallet and quite possibly your life, just for the sake of initiation.  :shock: :shock:

We're not talkin the "idiot-kid" street gangs like the "Fremont Street Hustlers" or the "9th Street Dogs"that fought in dimly lit streets of the city's east and northeast side back in the 70's and 80's.  We're talkin highly sophisticated "machines" with heirarchies that go all the way to L.A., Chicago or New York.

Stickin your head in the sand doesn't make the problem go away.

Sportster
...best know your colors
listen, i know my colors. and you act like you are scared of these punk kids, and that is what these punk kids do, is take advantage of the weak!  no, not me. i grew up around gangs and even associated with them, thank god my life went another direction. these kids are are easily influenced with no self esteem=punk kids......................the gang squad is doing a good job here in Kansas city, so please don't be scared no more.  OK?
                                                                                  oh, for your info i dont drive a SUV and and if some punk kid puts a 9mm in my face, i'll just give him the keys to my car and if i catch him slippin when he takes the keys i'll snatch that pistol and blow a chunk out of his head. after no charges are filed i will tell his mom how stupid she is for raising such a stupid kid.
Last edited by schugg on Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

Someone told me to stray away from negro kids wearing baggy pants, they're always packing a "gat". Oh, and people with dark skin and a thick accent. They could be terrorists! I also heard that if you drive in the wrong neighborhood with the wrong color car, you can get shot. Let's not forget that people be straight killin' in the 'hood for a pair of Nikes.

Yet, I am undeterred. I carry a watergun and hold it sideways gangster-grip.

~m.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

for every "gang member" that would actually put a gun in someone's face (let alone shoot the gun), there are 10 wannabe, no-self-esteem latchkey wanksta kids that gravitate towards the gang lifestyle out of (a) a need to associate and (b) lack of (or perceived lack of) options.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Moniker wrote:
Yet, I am undeterred. I carry a watergun and hold it sideways gangster-grip.

~m.
you gotta hold it sideways, dog.  that's the only way to come correct.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Moniker »

chrizow wrote: for every "gang member" that would actually put a gun in someone's face (let alone shoot the gun), there are 10 wannabe, no-self-esteem latchkey wanksta kids that gravitate towards the gang lifestyle out of (a) a need to associate and (b) lack of (or perceived lack of) options.
Every wigger worth his salt can get his hands on a .22 for around 30 bucks.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Moniker wrote: Yes, but every "wankster" likely could be packin', too with such easy access to firearms. Every wigger worth his salt can get his hands on a .22 for around 30 bucks.
i knew probably 12 kids in high school that packed a gat.  i don't think they ever shot it, nor did they have the guts to.  they carried it like an accessory, like middle school kids in 1997 carried pagers.

that said, guns in the hands of anyone is pretty scary, let alone moron teenagers with nothing to lose.  charlton heston should live at 27th and Montgall for a while.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

You're right Criz. Making Guns illegal will stop gang members from using them. Look at the wonders the law did for the drug trade&
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shinatoo wrote: You're right Criz. Making Guns illegal will stop gang members from using them. Look at the wonders the law did for the drug trade&
that isn't what i was saying.  i just want him to gain some perpsective.

besides, i think drugs should be legalized.
Paintfumes
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Paintfumes »

Look at other countries that dont allow guns.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

chrizow wrote: i knew probably 12 kids in high school that packed a gat.  i don't think they ever shot it, nor did they have the guts to.  they carried it like an accessory, like middle school kids in 1997 carried pagers.

that said, guns in the hands of anyone is pretty scary, let alone moron teenagers with nothing to lose.  charlton heston should live at 27th and Montgall for a while.
charlton heston has alzheimers now. i think he should no longer be allowed to play with guns.
shinatoo wrote: You're right Criz. Making Guns illegal will stop gang members from using them. Look at the wonders the law did for the drug trade&
i lived in a major city where guns were illegal. ( dc ) yeah, sure helped out there.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i'm in no way an expert, but i thought this article was worth posting since KC does have a problem with street gangs and has a tough time admitting it publicly.

Report: Gang suppression doesn't work
Mass arrests, stiff prison sentences often served with other gang members and other strategies that focus on law enforcement rather than intervention actually strengthen gang ties and further marginalize angry young men, according to the Justice Policy Institute, a Washington, D.C., think tank that advocates alternatives to incarceration.
hat tip to freakonomics.com.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Sportster wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:38 pm Well, here in Northeast, we've got our share of this shit. One drive down St. John and you get a quick lesson as to the who's who in our hood. Miller's Cleaners, roughly St. John & Jackson is covered with just about every brand of gang grafitti runnin in our hood. A quick rundown:

ESL - East Side Locos. Hispanic gang with possible national affiliations. (Crips) Very prolific with grafitti. Its freakin everywhere and in pretty much all sizes on all kinds of material.

NES - North East Sdie. This is an evolution of the old 9th street dogs from back in the late 80's and early 90's. Most of them (the Brown family) went to jail over time and they've recently re-organized (if you can call it that) They're the "equal opportunity" gang, taking whites, blacks, street morons, you name it. Not a lot of motivation, as evidenced by their stark LACK of grafitti, much less grafitti prowess. They do like to steel cars however as do most of the gang types around here.

SUR-13 - Again, Mexicans, mostly from WY Co, but they have a strong presence in Northeast and the Upper East Side. Grafitti is usually accompanied by three dots arranged in a triangle with the words chispa or chipa or some such shit.

MK - Mexicon Kings. No, I didn't mispell it, thats the way its used. New gang in town, just got started marking their territory, which is why St. John looks like it does. Not much known on these morons, but I've heard this is some kind of Nat affiliated group. Unsure as to who.

I'm sure there's more, but these are the major players for right now.

Sportster
...grafitti block? check. steel wool? check. .40 cal glock? check.
Over the past 15 years, how has this changed?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It has probably gotten worse, KC is a good secondary hub for gangs to operate out of. I really think the increase in Chicago gang violence has an impact on other spokes in the network, Indianapolis, KC, Milwaukee, St Louis are seeing much more violence and think the problem is cause of the Chicago gang Hub.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:26 pm It has probably gotten worse, KC is a good secondary hub for gangs to operate out of. I really think the increase in Chicago gang violence has an impact on other spokes in the network, Indianapolis, KC, Milwaukee, St Louis are seeing much more violence and think the problem is cause of the Chicago gang Hub.
That is interesting to hear.

I had the thought the NE area was cleaning up.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

NE might be cleaning up but I really think other areas are getting worse, Blue Ridge Corridor for example seems to be a lot worse than it was 15 years ago
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:57 pm NE might be cleaning up but I really think other areas are getting worse, Blue Ridge Corridor for example seems to be a lot worse than it was 15 years ago
An interesting shift in poverty and crime to inner-ring suburbs is occurring. Raytown seems worse now than 15 years ago (to someone who visits maybe once a month).

Downtown OP was getting pretty run down until the current development wave started ~5 years back. The housing stock is getting
West Mission is showing its age too. This trend shows up in free & reduced lunch rates. Shawnee Mission and Gardner are not that far from 40%. 40%+ is considered high poverty areas.