beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: beer.

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Regardless of weather the product actually changes, it's going to make the already irritating "This year's [seasonal] isn't as [adjective] as last year" conversations un-bear-able.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Saw some guys standing outside the new Kansas City Bier Co. in Waldo yesterday and stopped by to say hello. They were a little mum, didn't seem too excited to visit, but they did say they hope to start brewing in about 10 days.

https://www.facebook.com/KCBierCo
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

PumpkinStalker wrote:Saw some guys standing outside the new Kansas City Bier Co. in Waldo yesterday and stopped by to say hello. They were a little mum, didn't seem too excited to visit, but they did say they hope to start brewing in about 10 days.

Go here now. It's a great addition.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kucer wrote:
PumpkinStalker wrote:Saw some guys standing outside the new Kansas City Bier Co. in Waldo yesterday and stopped by to say hello. They were a little mum, didn't seem too excited to visit, but they did say they hope to start brewing in about 10 days.

Go here now. It's a great addition.
I wasn't overwhelmed. I appreciate what they are trying to do, but I don't have much of a reason to return.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I thought the beer was great for German Beer but the location is kind of bad, atmosphere kind of sucks and the interior felt really cheap. If this beer was available at other bars I would probably just get it at those bars and never return to this location. If they want staying power they should probably offer food, instead of the standard sausage and pretzel fare.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I thought the beer was great for German Beer but the location is kind of bad, atmosphere kind of sucks and the interior felt really cheap. If this beer was available at other bars I would probably just get it at those bars and never return to this location. If they want staying power they should probably offer food, instead of the standard sausage and pretzel fare.
I have equated the atmosphere to that of a Sherwin Williams.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've been twice now, went 30 minutes after they opened and it was packed to the gills, standing room only. I had the Hopfen doof - German take on an IPA. It was really good, I was a big fan.

My second visit I got a seat at the bar and ordered the flight and a sausage/meat tray. I was underwhelmed by the food as well as the atmosphere. I really enjoyed the Helles and the Hopfen Doof though, I'll go back for those.

As a side rant, this decor style needs to go away FAST - bare concrete floors, exposed beam ceilings, and bare ass walls. Basically, the unfinished-we-hurried-to-open-look. I dislike Bier Station decor for this reason as well. Something is just missing.

Unreleated, but the next is please everyone stop using Edison style bulbs. The market is flooded with your bare bulb fixtures. Cool at first, but I'm over it.

I hate being critical on a place that just opened especially when they're in my 'hood. But I'm really hoping they'll figure something out and at least add some character out back. Not sure how much land they own, but the deck needs to be much larger with a beam trellis overhead with vines.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Looking forward to trying KC Bier Co., but I have to reiterate my lament for the really generic business names in KC lately. Recent/forthcoming bars and restos:

Westport Saloon
Westport Ale House
(In addition to longer-running businesses like Westport Cafe and Westport Coffeehouse within 2 blocks)
KC Bier Co. (which also sounds a lot like Bier Station)
Kansas Town

Compared to these I am happy to see quirky stuff like Oddly Correct, Thou Mayest, Peanches, etc. - more distinctive.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:Looking forward to trying KC Bier Co., but I have to reiterate my lament for the really generic business names in KC lately. Recent/forthcoming bars and restos:

Westport Saloon
Westport Ale House
(In addition to longer-running businesses like Westport Cafe and Westport Coffeehouse within 2 blocks)
Kansas Town

Compared to these I am happy to see quirky stuff like Oddly Correct, Thou Mayest, Peanches, etc. - more distinctive.
Where do you stand on creative names like Downtown Pizza Company?? #-o
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

smh wrote:
chrizow wrote:Looking forward to trying KC Bier Co., but I have to reiterate my lament for the really generic business names in KC lately. Recent/forthcoming bars and restos:

Westport Saloon
Westport Ale House
Kansas Town

Where do you stand on creative names like Downtown Pizza Company?? #-o
i was not aware of this place. jesus.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:
smh wrote: Where do you stand on creative names like Downtown Pizza Company?? #-o
i was not aware of this place. jesus.
I believe it is operated by the people who owned Torre's in Westport. The pizza is barely okay. But the name, ugh.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I found the beer at KCBC(I kinda refuse to call it by its full lame name) to be absolutely outstanding. Normally German beer has a tinny metallic taste, but not here. The flavor is big, and the beers are fresh and delicious.

I hope they scale back the food offerings, as I find that a kitchen in a brewery just complicates an otherwise good thing. You make beer. So serve beer to your over-21 clientele. People with children can go elsewhere, or get a sitter. A brewery makes beer and is a form of a bar, and is hence no place for families.

Keep making fantastic beer, and I'll drive out to Waldo. People should be able to just bring in their own food.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

bahua wrote:People with children can go elsewhere, or get a sitter. A brewery makes beer and is a form of a bar, and is hence no place for families.
I think he wants to attract families because this is what the Beer Gardens in Germany offer, at least thats what i thought he was quoted saying. I think plans for this beer garden which breaks ground in April includes a playground area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

PumpkinStalker wrote: As a side rant, this decor style needs to go away FAST - bare concrete floors, exposed beam ceilings, and bare ass walls. Basically, the unfinished-we-hurried-to-open-look. I dislike Bier Station decor for this reason as well. Something is just missing.

Unreleated, but the next is please everyone stop using Edison style bulbs. The market is flooded with your bare bulb fixtures. Cool at first, but I'm over it.
I think one of the best decorated restaurants in KC is Haus, i love that interior and the woodwork, if they could serve beer like this and maybe a little better food at haus i would be a much bigger fan.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
I think he wants to attract families because this is what the Beer Gardens in Germany offer, at least thats what i thought he was quoted saying. I think plans for this beer garden which breaks ground in April includes a playground area.
Like a Texas "icehouse"-style bar. Excellent idea.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

What I really want to see, and KCBC comes very close, is a bar where everybody sings. It's not implausible in that space. In the hour or so that we spent, we got really comfortable with our neighbors at the long tables. Adding singing to it would be absolutely brilliant.

Also, rename the place. Kansas City Bier Company is a terrible name. Just awful. They have a seasonal now called Hopdoof. They should call the place that, and get someone playing an organ and leading songs.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

bahua wrote:What I really want to see, and KCBC comes very close, is a bar where everybody sings. It's not implausible in that space. In the hour or so that we spent, we got really comfortable with our neighbors at the long tables. Adding singing to it would be absolutely brilliant.

Also, rename the place. Kansas City Bier Company is a terrible name. Just awful. They have a seasonal now called Hopdoof. They should call the place that, and get someone playing an organ and leading songs.
That would be awesome. I do like the big table, sit with strangers style for this type of place and I would love an organ playing. Maybe part of what bothers me is the fact that the ceiling is so tall.
brewcrew1000 wrote:
PumpkinStalker wrote: As a side rant, this decor style needs to go away FAST - bare concrete floors, exposed beam ceilings, and bare ass walls. Basically, the unfinished-we-hurried-to-open-look. I dislike Bier Station decor for this reason as well. Something is just missing.

I think one of the best decorated restaurants in KC is Haus, i love that interior and the woodwork, if they could serve beer like this and maybe a little better food at haus i would be a much bigger fan.
I agree. I like the wood walls in Haus a lot. The painted hoola hoops I can do with out however. Something needs to warm up the KCBC bar area. When I'm raucously swinging a big mug of German beer and being, I need a warm friendly atmosphere. Not a sterile tasting environment.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Checked out Cinder Block Brewery last night and loved it. Great space on 18th Ave with garage doors to open in the warm months, a nice wood and subway tiled bar, couple big tvs, and a variety of aging barrels along one wall. This place marries the old industrial look of the warehouses in the area with micro-brew chic quite well. Unlike KC Bier Co., I dig the name and logo.

Most importantly, I thought the beers were good. In particular I liked the IPA, a delicious, smooth take on the style that packs a 7.2% ABV punch. The oatmeal stout was quite good as well. I also tried both the English and French style apple ciders, but found them to be far too sweet for my liking (cool they are on offer tho, and made with local apples).

There is a small selection of bar snacks available for $1 (snack mix, pretzels, nuts, pickled eggs), and you can bring your own food in if you so desire.

As a bonus, Cinder Block also serves as a nice launching point for an evening of NKC-style debauchery, with River Aces, Denim and Diamonds, Neon Wild, Paul & Jacks and other awesomely northland spots within easy walking distance (nearly next door in most cases).

So happy to see the quality and effort that has gone into this place, and in this location. I'd love to see a few more of the old warehouses up and down swift converted to similarly "productive" uses.

Need to try out Big Rip next, although they seem like a much smaller scale operation.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I'm glad Big Rip is there, but it's a part time diversion of its owners. They have day jobs to occupy them, so the operation is much smaller. It's a nice place to hang out though, and on occasion they'll turn out a beer that's really delicious.