beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: beer.

Post by Joe Smith »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Has anyone tried the new "Dark Truth" Stout from Boulevard?
It's alright. Not great IMO. You can do much better for what you pay. I'd rather drink Pommeau de Normandie for the same price

My current dark fav is Schlafly's Coffee Stout on tap.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

shinatoo wrote: Can I get Yeungling in KC?
No dammit, and that is one fine lager.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

You can get Yeungling in Kentucky, I believe. Regardless, it's a beer that I nostalgize over, and look forward to getting on the east coast. we are entering a dangerous age where local beers are "unlocaling" in shocking fashion.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I'll have to pick some up.  I've felt that their Dry Stout was one of the only unremarkable beers Blvd has done (Zon).  But with the level of quality they've been cranking out lately, I'm excited to try this one!
hmm, I really love BLVD Dry Stout, but only ever really get it on tap...it smooth and milkshake creamy with a nice light finish.  I've had it in bottles and it is not nearly as good.  I can't wait to try the Dark Truth Somestack, however, and the BLVD Pilsner 12 packs can't come out fast enough.

also tried BLVD's Imperial Pilsner, and thought it was fantastic.  Rich, special and yet very drinkable.  

You can get Yeungling in Kentucky, I believe. Regardless, it's a beer that I nostalgize over, and look forward to getting on the east coast. we are entering a dangerous age where local beers are "unlocaling" in shocking fashion.

re: "unlocaling", are you referencing Schlafly's recent decision to brew in Wisconsin, and O'Fallon's similar choice before them?  Or the increasing scale of large distribution networks (something I know nothing about, btw)?

one "local" beer that I want badly right around this time of year is the Abita Strawberry Seasonal, which despite my general dislike of watery fruit lagers tastes perfect on a thick New Orleans afternoon.  I miss it and it is unavailable in KC everywhere I've checked :(
Last edited by rxlexi on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
are we spinning free?
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

warwickland wrote: You can get Yeungling in Kentucky, I believe. Regardless, it's a beer that I nostalgize over, and look forward to getting on the east coast. we are entering a dangerous age where local beers are "unlocaling" in shocking fashion.
I love that beer. I found a microbrewery (Blue Cat) with a brewer who claimed to work for Yeungling and crafts the "recipe" in the Quad Cities IA/IL.
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

rxlexi wrote: hmm, I really love BLVD Dry Stout, but only ever really get it on tap...it smooth and milkshake creamy with a nice light finish.  I've had it in bottles and it is not nearly as good.  I can't wait to try the Dark Truth Somestack, however, and the BLVD Pilsner 12 packs can't come out fast enough.

also tried BLVD's Imperial Pilsner, and thought it was fantastic.  Rich, special and yet very drinkable. 
[/You can get Yeungling in Kentucky, I believe. Regardless, it's a beer that I nostalgize over, and look forward to getting on the east coast. we are entering a dangerous age where local beers are "unlocaling" in shocking fashion.quote]

re: "unlocaling", are you referencing Schlafly's recent decision to brew in Wisconsin, and O'Fallon's similar choice before them?  Or the increasing scale of large distribution networks (something I know nothing about, btw)?

one "local" beer that I want badly right around this time of year is the Abita Strawberry Seasonal, which despite my general dislike of watery fruit lagers tastes perfect on a thick New Orleans afternoon.  I miss it and it is unavailable in KC everywhere I've checked :(

I'm not sure if I've had the Dry Stout on tap, it's been a while, I should probably give it another shot.  I really like their new Imperial Pilsner, it's delicious but crazy expensive.  I'm not familiar with the Yeungling.  Where is it from and what's the style?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

warwickland wrote: You can get Yeungling in Kentucky, I believe. Regardless, it's a beer that I nostalgize over, and look forward to getting on the east coast. we are entering a dangerous age where local beers are "unlocaling" in shocking fashion.
Tell me more about this beer.

The dangerous age we have entered is far better than the age when you drank either Budweiser or Miller and Coors was considered a highly sought after local niche beer (meaning it could be found only in a few places).  Michelob was the only premium beer unless you wanted to drink imported beer out of bottles. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Highlander wrote: Tell me more about this beer.

Michelob was the only premium beer unless you wanted to drink imported beer out of bottles. 
And depending on where you were, union workers would confront you about the anti-american act of drinking Heineken.  Not kidding.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Tell me more about this beer.
Oldest continuously operating brewery in America - out of PA. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Oldest continuously operating brewery in America - out of PA. 
Thanks. I am surprised I've not tried it.
loftguy wrote: And depending on where you were, union workers would confront you about the anti-american act of drinking Heineken.  Not kidding.
My father used to own a restaurant/bar in NE KC back in the days when the NE part of the city was still an industrial powerhouse for the region (the rest/bar closed about 45 years ago).  He had the widest array of beers in KC at the time with various imports even on tap.  It went over like a lead balloon.  After the costly experiment, he went back to the regular American beers and sold Lowenbrau in bottles to the curious. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Thanks. I am surprised I've not tried it.
Up until a few years ago you had to be right in or around PA to come upon it.  Now that they have bought a big beer factory down in FL and it is pretty well ubiquitous all up and down the atlantic coast and south east.  Still a relatively tasty beer but they have really diluted all of the historic charm and "specialness".  I don't know if they are even doing any brewing at the like 300+ year old brewery building anymore. 
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Yum, Yuengling.  Seriously, I get so excited when I'm travelling and see this on the list.
And Spotted Cow from WI.  Tasty....
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Aw, Spotted Cow comes from the New Glarus Brewing Co., which makes some really fantastic specialty brews, and isn't too far from the college where I cut my beer-drinking teeth back in the day. The owner also does his "unplugged" edition, a handcrafted, crazy beer a few times a year as a very limited edition run.  Fun stuff. My biggest beer connoisseur buddy from the college days now lives within chugging distance of their brewery, and he always grabs some extra of the handcrafted stuff for me.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Yeungling is NOT available in kentucky. Red dot in Frankfort said you have to go to ohio or tennessee. Obama gave a case to the PM of Canada
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Jess wrote: Aw, Spotted Cow comes from the New Glarus Brewing Co., which makes some really fantastic specialty brews, and isn't too far from the college where I cut my beer-drinking teeth back in the day. The owner also does his "unplugged" edition, a handcrafted, crazy beer a few times a year as a very limited edition run.  Fun stuff. My biggest beer connoisseur buddy from the college days now lives within chugging distance of their brewery, and he always grabs some extra of the handcrafted stuff for me.
Thank you for the tip!  Next time I'm in Madison I am going to have to try to find some of this to check out.  :)
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Weston Brewery Leprechaun Ale.
Not too bad but more like a Pilsner though. Smooth, wheaty taste. Finish was almost like a Pilsner. Was surprised as to how light colored it was when I poured it in a glass.
Packaging was probably the best thing about it, unfortunately. Wouldn't turn it down if offered as a gift again.  8)

Sportster
...i'll take boulevard irish any day
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Sportster wrote: Weston Brewery Leprechaun Ale.
Not too bad but more like a Pilsner though. Smooth, wheaty taste. Finish was almost like a Pilsner. Was surprised as to how light colored it was when I poured it in a glass.
Packaging was probably the best thing about it, unfortunately. Wouldn't turn it down if offered as a gift again.  8)

Sportster
...i'll take boulevard irish any day
I had Weston Brew last night too, in fact I put back my Boulevard just for the change.  I had the Festival Brew which was dark and very smooth.  I enjoyed it very much compared to the Cream Ale I had had before which was flat and watery.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

My from PA beer guy says the closest you can get Yeungling is Alabama. I would think it be just as easy to get it from PA though.

Also...because I'm fortunate enough to get free copies of the Wall Street Journal, I read a little article in it this week that says...

BY DAVID KESMODEL

CHICAGO—Brewing giant MillerCoors LLC plans to test-market a new beer called Batch 19, which is based on a pre-Prohibition recipe, as part of several initiatives aimed at rejuvenating sales in the sluggish U.S. market.

MillerCoors will start selling the new brew next month in draft in bars and restaurants in Chicago, Milwaukee, San Francisco and Washington, said Peter Swinburn, chief executive of Molson Coors Brewing Co., which co-owns MillerCoors.

Mr. Swinburn said in an interview that Batch 19—named for the year, 1919, before Prohibition began—is designed to attract consumers looking for "a true, authentic, original beer." He said Keith Villa, ...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... _US_News_5
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

What I don't get about all this "pre-prohibition lager" business is that by 1919 virtually all the major breweries were already using corn and rice (either as a cost-cutting measure, or to impart more "drinkability" depending on who you ask) and making beer very much like what we know today as macro-lagers. Prohibition didn't have anything to do with it. American Budweiser as it exists is not really any different than it was 100 years ago, and if you want an all-malt boring lager, you could always grab a sixer of Michelob.

I suspect that what they really mean, rather than "pre-prohibition" is, "European-style"--more hop character. In which case, I'd be interested to try it, but am nevertheless somewhat annoyed at the idea that prohibition caused American beer to suck. It didn't. Major American beers sucked long before prohibition, it's just that the breweries making large quantities of crappy beer were the ones able to survive.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin