The Mango Room

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Mango Room

Post by staubio »

As reported here...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 164427.htm

Going into Town Pavillion and says they will be open for dinner. I assume this means it doesn't face the street and people will have to trek into a foodcourt at night. No wonder this spot doesn't take off.

Externalize the food courts!
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

The Mango Room

Post by KCDowntown »

I think that this is on the street level. I believe it will be going into the southwest corner of the Town Pavilion block, which puts it on the same street as Cupini's.

KCDowntown
scooterj
Ambassador

The Mango Room

Post by scooterj »

Ah, that makes sense. It's really nice to see so many options opening up.

(Now to cross my fingers that my company doesn't move to god-forsaken Kansas when our lease is up. It was mentioned today as a possibility. :evil: ](*,) :puke: .)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

The Mango Room

Post by Tosspot »

KCDowntown is right as to it's location...just noticed this place myself today on break. It appears it will have a street entrance. As for suburban-shopping-mall style food courts downtown, I say "STOP THE MADNESS!"

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
scooterj
Ambassador

The Mango Room

Post by scooterj »

One or two food courts is okay, there's a need for places you can run in and out and get a quick lunch. But what we have now is plenty.
m.toast
Strip mall
Strip mall

The Mango Room

Post by m.toast »

Mango??

Waldo representin'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

The Mango Room

Post by KCPowercat »

Isn't this the location where mezzunla used to be....that might not be the name. They have a location in JoCo on Quivera.

Edit: Duh, maybe I should read the article first.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: The Mango Room

Post by KCDowntown »

The Mango Room will open on May 2nd at 11:00AM.

KCDowntown
ozone84
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ozone84 »

You can't have the Mango!  :lol:
"If you plan cities for cars and traffic, you get cars and traffic. If you plan for people and places, you get people and places." - Fred Kent : Project For Public Spaces
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The owner had a presentation at the DNA meeting tonight.  Sounds like a good selection of food from southern to Jamacian.

Open Mon-Sat until 10pm...trying to serve downtown residents....so go try this place out, we complain about nothing being open late, well we are getting more and more places so be sure to try it out.

Happy hours from 5-7.  Red Stripe $2.50, Wine $3, PBR drafts like 99 cents I thought she said.

I can't wait to try it out.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: The owner had a presentation at the DNA meeting tonight.  Sounds like a good selection of food from southern to Jamacian.

Open Mon-Sat until 10pm...trying to serve downtown residents....so go try this place out, we complain about nothing being open late, well we are getting more and more places so be sure to try it out.

Happy hours from 5-7.  Red Stripe $2.50, Wine $3, PBR drafts like 99 cents I thought she said.

I can't wait to try it out.
I don't really consider 10 PM late for a restaurant. I think B&N is open later than that. You can't gear a business towards when you want to work, but when your customers want you open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

10pm isn't "late" for a restaurant no doubt.  I was speaking in the context of downtown residents who complain about places closing at 5pm......the owner said she would stay open even longer if it made sense.

sitdown restaurants never are an issue, it's the cheaper places like a Cupini's we need to stay open later...but can't just expect businesses to stay open if nobody is going to use them.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I tried this the other evening... it was very good.  For appetizers, I suggest either the ribs or the flatbread (with beef).  If you go for the ribs, definitely make use of the sauce they put on the side.  It's different from the BBQ sauce cooked onto the ribs and is really good.    The staff are all very friendly. 

I was there about 7:00 on a Wednesday night.  There were only about 4 other people in there at that time, but I asked them how business was going and they said considering that they hadn't started advertising yet, quite well.  They said they've been getting a lot of lunchtime and happy hour business and that Friday nights have been great.
Prudhomme
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Prudhomme »

Went in on Saturday afternoon/evening with about 15 people.  Lot of fun and incredibly hospitable.  The flatbread is fantastic and our waiter had cold frosty pints just the right time.  It is non-smoking which left more people standing outside the bar than in at some points.  At first I couldn't believe that they bothered opening on a Saturday but it had quite a full bar area early in the evening and several diners trickling in. 

Wonderful new addition to downtown. 
BurningMustard
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by BurningMustard »

Checked it out last night for happy hour.

Was all set for a happy hour martini.  Was told that Gin Martinis were not included in the happy hour special.  Thought that was odd, how do you have a martini special but don't include a basic martini.  I guess I could have just ordered one and paid a couple extra bucks.  Instead, I got a PBR and was happy.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

My girl and I visited last night. Here's our quick review!

We were immediately impressed with the interior decor. "Seems like a great cocktail lounge area." said Mrs. Max. Attendance was a bit sparse 6:30 on a Thursday evening. Ordered the flatbread as an appetizer. Bits of jerk carribbean beef and chicken on flatbread were an absolute delight. The sweet corn and vine ripe tomatoes were a great contrast with the goat cheese and the beef and chicken topped it off. And the portions were ample.

You got two sides with almost every entree, and there are a wide variety of sides. I got the fried catfish with grits and fried green beans. The catfish was pretty pedestrian, but still good. The grits had congealed a bit, and were quite solid, but the taste was still pretty good. And the green beans were excellent. Plump juicy green beans fried for a great taste.

Mrs. Max got the jerk carribbean oxtails with sweet corn and the green beans. I had heard a lot of great reviews on the oxtails. They were tasty, very soft and tender - but almost too tender. They were almost mushy in your mouth because they were so soft and there is so much fat on them. Still tasty, just not as good as we were expecting.

Probably the best was the corn. Very sweet, fresh, and a perfect blend of spices on top.

We then ordered the mango cobbler, absolutely a must have. Hot, sticky, sweet, contrasted with cold vanilla ice cream. It was excellent.

Overall, our dining experience was quite enjoyable. The service was great, the place started to fill up a bit as we dined, and we really enjoyed the atmosphere of being downtown (and no, as Johnson Countians, we weren't terrified of black people!) The appetizer and desert were fantastic, while the main course was good, not great, but we want to try other things on the menu, particularly the jumbalaya!

I had read some people thought the location was crazy, but when the H&R Block building is finished, the Mango Room is going to be prime location. You can see the building from the booth we were sitting in.

Stupid question from us Johnson Countians - parking is free on the street after a certain hour? Yes or no? What about the parking lots?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote:
Stupid question from us Johnson Countians - parking is free on the street after a certain hour? Yes or no? What about the parking lots?

The pay lots will all generally take your money regardless of the hour of the day.  Some offer a bit of a break at night.  As to on street - just pay attention to the signage - it really varies from block to block.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The pay lots will all generally take your money regardless of the hour of the day.  Some offer a bit of a break at night.  As to on street - just pay attention to the signage - it really varies from block to block.
Right.  If it is a metered spot, though, you obviously don't have to feed the meter.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

staubio wrote: Right.  If it is a metered spot, though, you obviously don't have to feed the meter.
In most places street parking becomes free-for-all at 6:00.  And of course round-the-clock on weekends.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I was there the other night and generally liked the place.  Not as fine dining as they think they are but it is OK.  The wait staff wasn't very competent.