Whataburger

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Whataburger

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Just a question I’m hoping someone can answer.

Does anyone really believe the Whataburger narrative that it was “Patrick Mahomes” that brought them to KC? Or was it something more along the lines of they’ve been studying to move into KC for a while now and it just happened to coincide with the timing of Mahomes asking for one in KC? I genuinely am curious what your guys thoughts are on that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Whataburger

Post by DaveKCMO »

Moved to Kansas City Scene.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I do think Mahomes caused them to come here sooner than they might have because he created publicity for them by talking about them.

Does anyone know if Mahomes might have invested in local franchises, and maybe that helped things along?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The company was sold to a private equity firm based out of Chicago and there plans were to expand ASAP. I dont think Mahomes was a factor, if he was playing for Green Bay there is no way a whataburger open there right away, it's probably coming to KC cause KC has the perfect demographics/bellweather for intial expansion with all franchises/restaurants. Chiptole is a perfect example, a lot of test products are launched in KC first before any market to see if the can survive this market, its probably also the reason why Chiptole Funded Bibibop and the Pizza place they owned all started out here first, its a better bellweather then Denver.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

They've been creeping north along 35 for a while, they've been in OKC, Tulsa, and NW Arkansas. KC was probably inevitable although I think the Mahomes-generated hype may have accelerated expansion plans a bit. I certainly don't think having arguably the largest local celebrity in history tweeting about and advocating for the brand would have gone unnoticed. Private equity firms aren't stupid.

I agree that if Mahomes was in Green Bay they wouldn't be going there this soon, but that's more about supply chain logistics. They were already most of the way here from San Antonio when Mahomes made his request, putting the pieces in place needed to get here slightly faster than perhaps originally planned would be trivial compared to going to Green Bay.

So, no, Mahomes didn't "bring them" to KC. They were almost certainly coming sooner or later. Might it have been a factor in the timing? Possibly. I have been in IT long enough to be suspicious that two events which seem to be unrelated on the surface might actually have a correlation that I just don't understand yet; and here, the correlation is about a thousand times clearer and jumping up and down screaming, "I AM A CORRELATION!" Take that for what it's worth.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:38 pm I do think Mahomes caused them to come here sooner than they might have because he created publicity for them by talking about them.

Does anyone know if Mahomes might have invested in local franchises, and maybe that helped things along?

Mahomes joins franchise group behind KC-area Whataburger expansion

On Tuesday, Whataburger announced an even larger expansion plan that includes the Kansas City area, and the MVP quarterback.

Through franchise group KMO Burger, Whataburger will open 30 more stores from Wichita, Kansas, to St. Joseph, Missouri — with many of those stores concentrated in Kansas City.

Patrick Mahomes was announced as a new investor in the franchise group.
https://www.kmbc.com/article/patrick-ma ... /37271316#
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Looks like the first two Mahomes Whataburgers at in Metro North Crossing & 152 N. Booth Ave - maybe at the Valley View Shops development by Andys & new Quiktrip. Parcel 4A and 4B both have drive-thrus. Would say it's going in one of those.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20527&hilit=Shoal+Creek
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Beat me to it. Maybe by Oak Park Mall,by former Great Mall of Plains,119th Street,Shawnee,KU Country,Topeka,Gardner,Stateline Road,135th Street/Stateline Road,Grandview,Merriam,Shawnee,Belton and so on.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

https://energov.opkansas.org/CSS/SelfSe ... b=moreinfo Galleria meaning 3 one in OP but not by Bluhawk yet.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 96173.html I would say former Burger King in Lenexa. Yes Downtown needs it. West Olathe,119th Street area,Ridgeview Falls,151st/159th area,downtown area.