COVID & Carryout

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

COVID & Carryout

Post by DaveKCMO »

Which restaurants are handling carry out the best? We've eaten a lot from Mildred's (closed last week), Affare, Blvd Tavern, Tannin (now only cheese and wine), Pierpont's, and Bristol. Will probably order Ragazza tonight.

Mildred's was very prepared before they halted service (full menu), having launched a great online ordering platform a few months ago. Affare is serving carry out every day and has gotten better about being on time with the food (you reserve a pickup time on Tock, so no calling is necessary). Blvd Tavern was 'take and heat' meatloaf, which even when reheated in the microwave was amazing (their menu changes often and they only serve every other day). Pierpont's was very generous with their $80 (two menu items, two salads or soups, plus two desserts --- with a bottled cocktail option).
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: COVID & Carryout

Post by taxi »

We just got a burrito and slab of ribs from Antler Room. It took a while to get the call through (busy signals for the first few calls) and then it was ready in 15 minutes.
Also, André's has a very good family meal deal, which you can see on their website. It comes with a dessert but you can also pick up other dessert items and/or chocolates (arguably better quality and way less expensive than Elbow). If you want to make it through this pandemic, I recommend maintaining ample supplies of chocolate.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

How was Bristol Carryout, I was worried about fish getting cold. Do they wrap in foil? I wanted to do this one weekend

We did Affare take out and was impressed with the offerings, I really think upscale places have got to hurting the most cause good food and takeout doesnt sound great.

Fogo de Chao has butcher to go offerings and they throw in free sauces, we were impressed with amount of meat for 70 bucks and grilling if was perfectly fine
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:24 pm How was Bristol Carryout, I was worried about fish getting cold. Do they wrap in foil? I wanted to do this one weekend
It was decent. Can't say that I'd pick them again as long as Affare and Blvd Tavern are open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Milwaukee deli was great
Affare great
Tannin great
Barami Thai have us wrong order so had to go back but overall great
Local pig great selection and order ahead experience
Antons didn't have much meat wise
Brewery emperisl was great

Still on my list is some sort of Mexican, il lazzarone, majestic, Blvd tavern, bbq probably county road.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

So far, we’ve ordered from the following locations:

-Red Dragon House
-Columbus Park Ramen Shop
-Meshuggah
-Pigwich (the day before Local Pig shut that part down)
-Ravenous
-Baramee (the day they reopened)
-KC Taco Company

Given that all of those places offered takeout in some capacity prior, it’s been reasonably seamless and haven’t had issues with ordering or our food. We’ve been ordering online whenever possible. One of the “good” things to come out of this is that virtually every small business (that survives) will be much more comfortable with online sales/ordering.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Been doing a lot of take out at the breweries. Prices are basically the same if u ordered a beer or 2 there. The local beer community support has been outstanding
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's pretty cool how so many got their online ordering up and running so quick and it's working very well.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I've given town topic takeout a few visits so far. Being able to order takeout from outside has actually been an improvement over the usual set up. I hope they find a way to keep the outside takeout window in the future.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Of course not in your area but curbside takeout is working quite well at Raymore's Missouri Mud and LS Jackstack.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Antler room takeout is the most impressive we have tried so far - great food specifically developed for takeout, bottled cocktails, wine flights (bottles), etc.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

So far I've had County Line, Christine's Firehouse, and North Dragon. All have gone smoothly and the food has been good. North Dragon hadn't quite worked out a good no-contact way to do payment but that was a couple of weeks ago so they might have figured it out since then. Christine's has been selling out of food from time to time, which is a good problem to have I suppose.

I haven't been there yet but it seems that pone of my favorites, M&M Bakery (down the road a bit from Kitty's Cafe) actually set up a walk-up window on the side of their building.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I ordered lunch from Jarocho's (sp?) last week and it was very good (as usual). Rudy's Tenampa was good.

Looking forward to Fox and Pearl for lunch sometime this week. They have a good looking menu.

I've heard The Russell is doing good work - I need to get some of that too.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Got Q39 for the wife's birthday, food was great and they are used to take out since they're normally slammed anyway.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

belfry is holding it down, basically the whole menu available, free 750mL bottle of beer if you spend $25 and i believe it counts even if alcohol helps push you over $25. they did their first run of brunch yesterday and we really enjoyed it, french toast breakfast sandwich w/ bourbon syrup and a veggie and goat cheese frittata plus a box of madeleines which were quite good. apparently if brunch is moderately successful they plan to gradually expand that menu during the stay at home period, for now it's running 11-2pm sundays only. they've got some rotating family meal things for dinner too and apparently those are getting repeat customers.

we've also been very happy with usual menu/takeout experiences at ice house, wrap it up, milwaukee deli, and the gates on linwood. wrap it up's a little less polished at the whole online ordering thing but they're so damn nice and quick anyway it really doesn't matter.

affare, antler room, and ravenous are very high on our list of places we would like to get and then keep in our quarantine rotation. and holy shit i just pulled up fox and pearl's menu and i want everything on it, thank you for that h/t.

i'm curious how this is going to affect the parlor spots. i better not have had my last karbon experience without knowing it!!!!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Anyone know if Caddyshack is still doing pizzas? They don’t seem to have posted anything online since before St. Pat’s and no one was answering the phone when we tried to call tonight.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

scooterj wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 pm Anyone know if Caddyshack is still doing pizzas? They don’t seem to have posted anything online since before St. Pat’s and no one was answering the phone when we tried to call tonight.
Caddyshack has been closed for weeks.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

minor uproar on reddit about q39 making its employees re-apply for their jobs and denying them employee discounts during the interim, with a side order of bonus information about annual revenue at the midtown location (~$10M+).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Just got Poi-O and they have a nice carry-out family deal. 4 sides, tortillas and whole chicken for 28. Great meal, always forget about this place.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Had Seasons 52 tonight. Good carry out options, but you have to call to order (they’ll take payment over the phone). Kinda surprising for a chain.