COVID & Carryout

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: COVID & Carryout

Post by KCPowercat »

Essential businesses aren't part of the registration.

If it's not just customers in the count of 10 I can't imagine many restaurants find it viable to open for dining service.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree. And it puts you in the uncomfortable scenario of saying you're open but then having to turn people away if you're full.

It's going to be a long road back for a lot of these places. I assume restaurants will be phased back up to 50%. That seems to be what other places are doing.
Last edited by WoodDraw on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Being a curmudgeon, I generally go out at off-peak times. I can think of plenty of places that would seem at normal capacity at 10 customers.

Almost all the breweries.
Lifted Spirits Distillery.
Belfry?
Swordfish Tom's
SoT
Howard's

I think this gives places some time to get their protocols in place.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The question is, does staff count in that 10.

Everything I read says it does include staff. I can't imagine most restaurants will find it worth it downtown that have limited space. I think 20-25% would have been a better number and still kept people separated enough.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I kind of wonder who wants that though. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but me going out was typically for happy hours with friends or dinners, but for the atmosphere.

If I'm just sitting in a corner by myself in an empty restaurant, with staff walking around in masks and gloves, wondering who sat here before me and if they really cleaned the table, I'm not sure that sounds fun.

I think this is going to take a long time.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

curious to see how this applies to patios—something like brewery emperial or even leinenkugel's, where this time of year a substantial percentage of their customers are outside. if i were those businesses i'd be pissed if i had to effectively limit occupancy to a density of ~half my competitors just because the rule is governed by building occupancy. i guess this is a non-issue if the occupancy limit accounts for outdoor space but for some reason my assumption is that it does not.

i don't think staff is supposed to count in the ten people or ten percent. see the FAQs page:
The 10/10/10 rule specifies that these businesses must limit the number of customers allowed to no more than 10 percent of building occupancy or 10 people (whichever is larger)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think patios have occupancy limits too. I think they are separate numbers
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

This is no big deal for me, I've been functioning at 10% capacity most of my life, though some might say lower. Is it beer thirty yet?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It looks like the Burger Stand in Lawrence is getting rid of tips and putting in a hospitatlity fee to pay its workers 15 an hour - I think this is pretty common on the West Coast

The past weeks have been devastating to our industry, our communities, and our staff. We have witnessed first hand how the income structure for hospitality service workers simply does not work, especially in a time of crisis. We are choosing at this time to change the way that we do things. We’re ditching tips.

The Burger Stand and Bon Bon have always strived to produce high quality food and fantastic customer service to all of our guests. We push ourselves to be creative, have fun, listen to our guests, be a part of our community, and do what we feel is right. We are adopting a business model that allows for an even distribution of wages and an increase in quality of life for our employees. We ask that you help support us with this new approach.

Rather than chasing our tails trying to raise prices on certain items and potentially negatively affecting one guest's favorite and not others, we are spreading the love and implementing a pre tax Hospitality Fee to all tickets. There are of course other options, to reduce costs by using lower quality ingredients and moving away from local producers, but that is not who we are and that is not the kind of food we want to attach our names to.

This Hospitality Fee does not supplement the traditional tip or gratuity, it replaces it. By adding it, we are ensuring that all of our employees are paid a minimum of at least $15 an hour, and that our full time and management staffs have access to company supplemented health insurance as well as other benefits. It will also allow our teams to receive the best financial assistance we are all entitled to when we are faced with an unimaginable crisis like the one we are dealing with today.

We hope that you will join us in this bold movement to do the right thing and ensure that all people are paid a living wage that ensures their stability, quality of life, and creates a better environment for all of us, guests and staff alike. We are very excited about the future and we hope you are too!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Cellar Rat now requires masks to enter the store. Not required if you're doing curbside.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i think i saw that costco is also requiring masks to enter effective today.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Which should be a national mandate but OH and OK govs are giving in to threats from people who don't want govt telling them what to do...
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... o_far.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is everybody going to rush the restaurants when they open? If not, what criteria are you using to help you decide when it's "safe"?
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Restaurants have opened here in Florida with 25% max capacity. Looks like many are going. A favorite Thai restaurant I went to yesterday said they are doing more business with carryout/delivery so decided not to open the seating. We wear a mask anywhere in public but was disappointing to see restaurant workers were not.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

We'll see how strong my willpower to avoid in-person social interaction turns out to be, but "when hospitals allow visitors again" seems like a good off-the-cuff estimation of qualitative risk.

(Of course, the thought of "if only I lived alone, I'd try to find a foolproof way of contracting COVID-19 and then immediately lock myself up for a month and sign some sort of binding contract to not engage the medical system...no matter what" comes to mind daily, so...)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

swid wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:41 am We'll see how strong my willpower to avoid in-person social interaction turns out to be, but "when hospitals allow visitors again" seems like a good off-the-cuff estimation of qualitative risk.
good thought
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Grunauer is reopening with carryout only.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Tried the little store in North KC today. What a great little diner/deli. I love that it's on a side street basically in the middle of neighborhood. I wish KC/Midtown had something like this; low priced, home style type food.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 12:40 pm Tried the little store in North KC today. What a great little diner/deli. I love that it's on a side street basically in the middle of neighborhood. I wish KC/Midtown had something like this; low priced, home style type food.
What's this now?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It's just a little cafe/deli on a side street in nkc called the Little Store Cafe. It's more of a breakfast/lunch place. I think it's been around awhile. They don't show the entire menu on the website.
http://www.littlestorecafe.com/