Parlor - 1707 Locust

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Who knows if Mudbugs would even be around if it wasn't for the crazy KC Eats facebook group, the people on that board prop that place up so fricking much, they post about it almost daily, post the menus in the group daily, etc. The whole KC Eats group is weird but its like the largest local restaurant group on all of facebook
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:54 am
chaglang wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 pm Excellent, sir. Lobsters stuffed with tacos.
As long as they're drizzled in comeback sauce, sign me up.
And put it all on my Player's Club card.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

more changes here lately. the sliders place that replaced the scandinavian place has already shuttered and there's signage up in that spot for a bbq place, "chick hoove n swine". the farm to market place has been replaced by a sushi place, "sushi mo"
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

High turnover is expected as foodie halls are designed to allow for high risk concepts with low overhead. Most in country have a high turnover rate. And it keeps the place fresh.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:33 pm High turnover is expected as foodie halls are designed to allow for high risk concepts with low overhead. Most in country have a high turnover rate. And it keeps the place fresh.
I am completely open to being corrected--I don't subscribe to the Star and thus can no longer read Cityscape--but what I haven't heard much about regarding any of the new places is whether they are "chef-driven" or local restaurateurs like we saw with most, if not all the initial tenants. If the new places are all off-brand, what's the point of making the trip to Parlor.

But again, this is just my sense of the new places. As a counterpoint, I see in the business journal where they reference Sushi MO's local owners and their desire to push the boundaries of sushi. Also the photo is of their California Roll.

My concern is that great places like Sura Eats, Karbon, and Providence will be harmed if surrounded by a bunch of mall food court knock-offs. Perhaps I doth protest too much?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

As it has been mentioned the Food Hall concept does have a high turnover rate, some of which is by design. They have to maintain sales minimums or risk being replaced, and I think they sign leases that have specific terms, like less than a year. I'm not 100% sure as some concepts might be able to show string sales to makeup a "core" of standard restaurants and the other revolve around them. But overall the idea is to give up & comers a chance to operate a food business to see if they can make it in a "bubble" so to speak or established owners a place to try out new concepts.

Also as a side note I hope that something can be done to cap current out of control rents for small businesses in these hotter areas of town. The local guys are getting priced out & I think that has a really negative impact on the growth, creativity, and options of new concepts
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Wow this place is overpriced. Sushi joint was very underwhelming.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:55 pm Wow this place is overpriced. Sushi joint was very underwhelming.
I recommend the lunch box (sort of like a bento?) at Sura Eats. $10. It is excellent.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:10 pm
shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:55 pm Wow this place is overpriced. Sushi joint was very underwhelming.
I recommend the lunch box (sort of like a bento?) at Sura Eats. $10. It is excellent.
That's what I got. it was 19$ with a drink and tip. Unimpressed. At 10$ it would have been fine I guess.

Bento Box $13, fountain drink $2 plus tax and tip it came to $19.59. And the lady made a comment that they are almost loosing money on the lunch Bento Box special. Rent must be outrageous.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:26 pm
smh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:10 pm
That's what I got. it was 19$ with a drink and tip. Unimpressed. At 10$ it would have been fine I guess.

Bento Box $13, fountain drink $2 plus tax and tip it came to $19.59. And the lady made a comment that they are almost loosing money on the lunch Bento Box special. Rent must be outrageous.
Ouch.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 am Also as a side note I hope that something can be done to cap current out of control rents for small businesses in these hotter areas of town. The local guys are getting priced out & I think that has a really negative impact on the growth, creativity, and options of new concepts
Demand drives rent. Everyone can't be in the Crossroads. Less successful businesses might fail or move. But, honestly, which restaurant has been actually priced out of the Crossroads (rather than failing for other reasons, like Art of Pizza)? It's certainly not rampant in a sector that is highly competitive with a high failure rate regardless of rent.

And who will subsidize these rents? The city? Landlords aren't going to cap rent on their own. And why should they? Brioche is the only recent failure that was due to rent increases that I actually miss.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

^speaking of Brioche...are they ever coming back in new digs? I figure they kept their kitchen equipment in the move-out. They were amazing.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:19 pm
dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:25 am Also as a side note I hope that something can be done to cap current out of control rents for small businesses in these hotter areas of town. The local guys are getting priced out & I think that has a really negative impact on the growth, creativity, and options of new concepts
Demand drives rent. Everyone can't be in the Crossroads. Less successful businesses might fail or move. But, honestly, which restaurant has been actually priced out of the Crossroads (rather than failing for other reasons, like Art of Pizza)? It's certainly not rampant in a sector that is highly competitive with a high failure rate regardless of rent.

And who will subsidize these rents? The city? Landlords aren't going to cap rent on their own. And why should they? Brioche is the only recent failure that was due to rent increases that I actually miss.

I agree, places close most likely for reasons beyond rent. I would venture to say mismanagement is the biggest killer. Whether that be not staffing it properly/consistently, poor money management, etc. However the higher rents could prevent some up & comer from being in the area. I used to like going to Collection. Place is empty now. The place that was Duke's on Grand. That place has had other trouble that led to it's demise, but nothing new has gone in, same with Czar Bar, and that deli place. I'd be curious what keeps those places empty on a very popular block, with plenty of foot traffic and other established businesses. Not sure if rent is a factor or not. I'm just curious about it and want to see if it has a ripple effect into the entrepreneurial community of people wanting to try new concepts, etc.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

collection wasn't a rent issue, as she owned the building at all relevant times. duke's transitioned to a new place and will transition to yet another. czar bar is songbird, the deli is still in business, and kokothai's demise has to have been primarily management/logistics or something because the bad reviews of service there were pretty constant. anyway, kokothai's building now has 2 different restaurants in it. plus kobi-Q hasn't been there forever, and record bar is a fairly recent relocation. now there's a new investor looking to turn the collection building into a bigger eating establishment, plus add a walk-up vendor on the west side of the building. of all these places, arguably only record bar is something other than an "up & comer." that block's doing great!
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Agreed there have been a few new places there, that I'm excited to try. Kobi-Q is where Czar bar was, I didnt realize Suzy's Cafe or the Deli were open. They must have very limited hours. I am excited about the proposed development to the building with Belfry & Collection. Just wish a new place would go into old Collection space sign it has a storefront on Grand. The old Dukes place should find a new concept soon. I know parking in that area is terrible, as the lots behind are owned by Temptations I think and they use predator tow truck driver on that lot. It is a flat our racket. I would love for another live music venue to go back into the building that used to have it before the Church bought it. Now that the church has a bigger new building would love to see them sell it plus the surrounding lots.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

cross-posting, but RIP karbon. was the standout of this establishment imo.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kind of suprised Parlor itself isn't reopened yet.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

parlor has reopened. currently five kitchens open: sushi, pizza, korean, chicken, bbq. decent little crowd on sunday afternoon.

one of the employees there mentioned a rumor of a brick and mortar establishment by the karbon team over in KCK but obviously even if true i wouldn't expect it to go anywhere in the near future.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

apparently ravenous is going in here instead of the corrigan building? what the heck?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe just easier to get that up and going and keep it going through winter versus getting the courtyard going?