Parlor - 1707 Locust

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5479
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by earthling » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Parlor seems to fit well into the cocktail joint hopping rotation so maybe explains those 'dressed up'. Did that when by brother last visited from Brooklyn. And a sister from STL coming this weekend, likely to do similar rotation of places.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29628
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by KCPowercat » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:57 pm


User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17677
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:51 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:57 pm
Club confirm?

https://m.facebook.com/events/422718538519823
Ha! I came here to post that.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5479
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by earthling » Sat May 18, 2019 12:04 pm

Methinks a Filipino Sisig tacos counter at Parlor would do well...

Pork...
https://loveandfoodforeva.com/2016/03/1 ... sig-tacos/

Chicken...
http://saltandwind.com/recipes/339-sisi ... cos-recipe

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5479
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by earthling » Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Other ideas..

Ramen noodle bun burgers..
Image

CBD grilled cheese - pesto aioli infused with CBD, fresh baby spinach, homemade mozzarella cheese, avocado and tomato.
Image

Australian sushi donut..
Image

Yeah this won't fly in this town but sure would like to try. Grasshopper tacos
Image

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2601
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by brewcrew1000 » Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 pm

New Tenant looks to be a gourmet white castle
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... bTVwSbFXIk

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10872
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by mean » Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm

I'm skeptical. I have an irrational love of sliders, and I don't really think there's any need for them to be "gourmet-ified". I would take a cozy burger with American cheese for a buck every time over something with gruyere and fried onion straws or whatever at over three times the price. In most respects I consider myself a bit of a foodie, but I don't get this. Doesn't mean I won't check it out, considering there's not an actual White Castle this side of Columbia anymore (which is terribly sad, imo). But I'd vastly rather just have a Cozy Inn franchise or a White Castle.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6362
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by shinatoo » Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm

mean wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm
I'm skeptical. I have an irrational love of sliders, and I don't really think there's any need for them to be "gourmet-ified". I would take a cozy burger with American cheese for a buck every time over something with gruyere and fried onion straws or whatever at over three times the price. In most respects I consider myself a bit of a foodie, but I don't get this. Doesn't mean I won't check it out, considering there's not an actual White Castle this side of Columbia anymore (which is terribly sad, imo). But I'd vastly rather just have a Cozy Inn franchise or a White Castle.
I agree. Simple food made right is best.

Also, White Castle is crap.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10872
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by mean » Fri May 31, 2019 1:11 pm

Of course it is. But I also love it.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29628
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by KCPowercat » Fri May 31, 2019 1:11 pm

I went to parlor today. Seriously considered the new place but ended up with mother clucker

User avatar
wahoowa
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by wahoowa » Fri May 31, 2019 2:12 pm

i was there too! looked at the new place's menu but knew the whole time i was just going to get karbon so immediately forgot what i read.

the logo/design language of the new place strongly reminded me of what gets churned out for that food truck race thing on food network, so i guess that's nice and on brand.

User avatar
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1702
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by taxi » Fri May 31, 2019 2:56 pm

shinatoo wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:05 pm
mean wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:55 pm
I'm skeptical. I have an irrational love of sliders, and I don't really think there's any need for them to be "gourmet-ified". I would take a cozy burger with American cheese for a buck every time over something with gruyere and fried onion straws or whatever at over three times the price. In most respects I consider myself a bit of a foodie, but I don't get this. Doesn't mean I won't check it out, considering there's not an actual White Castle this side of Columbia anymore (which is terribly sad, imo). But I'd vastly rather just have a Cozy Inn franchise or a White Castle.
I agree. Simple food made right is best.

Also, White Castle is crap.
I just gotta say, though not related to Parlor, you should try the burger at Savoy. It is expensive but very straight forward and damn good.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29628
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by KCPowercat » Fri May 31, 2019 3:07 pm

Corvino burger.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14230
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by FangKC » Fri May 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Never ride in a car on a road trip with three college-aged men after loading up on White Castle.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10872
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by mean » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:54 pm

When I was actively playing music and touring around to the east, there was an awful lot of White Castle consumed. While I can agree with that, I can add: do not leave a bunch of unconsumed White Castle in the van overnight.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14230
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by FangKC » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:17 pm

KC food hall welcomes new tenant
Kansas City food hall Parlor is welcoming a new tenant: Mudbugs.

The Louisiana-inspired restaurant is slated to open later this year and replaces Yaki-Ya, which featured Japanese cuisine and closed Oct. 31.

Louisiana native Chris Jones created Mudbugs, which will feature a variety of po' boy sandwiches served on homemade buns and topped with condiments, slaws and sauces made in-house.
...
https://tinyurl.com/qs2mayt

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3344
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by smh » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Does it say anything about our market that two somewhat novel concepts have been replaced by hamburgers and fried shrimp?

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 265
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by alejandro46 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:01 pm

smh wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 pm
Does it say anything about our market that two somewhat novel concepts have been replaced by hamburgers and fried shrimp?
There is a fine balance between uniqueness and mass appeal.

User avatar
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by chaglang » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Excellent, sir. Lobsters stuffed with tacos.

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3344
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by smh » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:54 am

chaglang wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 pm
Excellent, sir. Lobsters stuffed with tacos.
As long as they're drizzled in comeback sauce, sign me up.

Post Reply