Stock Hill on the Plaza

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Stock Hill on the Plaza

Post by Highlander »

I guess this place is in the former Bo Lings location??

Looks pretty expensive. With those prices, it may be difficult to ever fill the place up (seats 330 people)

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 74068.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Stock Hill on the Plaza

Post by shinatoo »

not expensive for a high end stakehouse. was forced out to Jess and Jims the other night and it was in that range. Delmonico's in Dallas or Kris is St. Louis are both higher.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Where the hell did they get that name? I think those guys (Bread and Butter Concepts) are brilliant and run some really great restaurants, even if I'm not fond of some of them. But I must be missing something, their names absolutely suck. Then again, I don't eat at McDonalds and think Trump shouldn't even be in charge of a car wash, so I suppose I'm out of the loop.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Per an article a while ago, the name is a combo play on "stock" as cattle, as well as the building's history from the Board of Trade - and a nod to the Sunset "Hill" neighborhood.

I think it's great these guys are giving this a go. As far as good steak houses in town, in my opinion, there's Capital Grille/801 - and then everyone else (Pierpont's, Plaza III, Gilberts, J Alexander, etc.). Would be nice if there was something local to compete with the top two. This seems like an attempt to do that.

The menu looks fantastic. Although, I would prefer if they pandered to the local audience and called the damn thing a KC Strip (like it was originally before Delmonico's fucked everything up. Capital Grille and 801 have both done this).

I don't eat at these types of places much, but will definitely give this a try at some point.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

When I think of Stock Hill, I think a soup restaurant or something
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

We popped in to Stock Hill last night. We did not try any of the steaks, we just sat in the bar area and had 3 small plates/apps and some wine. We thought it was vastly over-priced and vastly under-delivered. The short-rib dish was weirdly under-flavored - the meat was cooked quite nicely but ultimately it was extremely bland, very weak for $18 (for 3 small hunks of shortrib). the lamb meatball dish was like something you make out of Real Simple magazine for an easy weeknight dinner - not bad but a little underwhelming for $18. tried the "triple cooked" french fries and they were good. not the best in town but solid.

by the glass wine list was intriguing, but again very expensive. we had a keenan cabernet ($20/gls) and a chateauneuf-de-pape ($18/gls). i get this place is intentionally expensive, so i could maybe abide the pricing if the wine hadn't been lukewarm, like old bath water. if youre going to pour good wine and charge top dollar, it needs to be served at the correct temperature.

i hope the steaks are really good, b/c at 45-70 apiece, they need to be perfect. i've never been terribly impressed with the execution at any Bread & Butter joint - it seems like all the energy goes into the "concept" and atmosphere and less into what actually comes out on the plate.

it seemed pretty busy for 9pm on a Tuesday, but as noted above, the place is gigantic. the lower level dining and bar area was probably close to full but i am not sure anyone was seated on the upper dining level.

i am probably not the target demo for a flashy place serving $65 steaks, but i do have to wonder if this place is going to make it. it's huge, very expensive, and it does not appear to be really delivering. maybe the worst value in KC.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Bummer.

I'll still give it a shot for apps/drinks at some point like you did. Maybe they're just getting their shit together.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

So where would be a good holiday meal out for a family of 13 with 6 kids b/n 6 and 13?

Something good, not stuffy, and nothing where the men have to go get tacos immediately afterward because of big plate/small food syndrome.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote:i've never been terribly impressed with the execution at any Bread & Butter joint - it seems like all the energy goes into the "concept" and atmosphere and less into what actually comes out on the plate.
Seconded, although the one time I tried Gram and Dun I found it to be a bit above par for B&B. Still not great though.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

mean wrote:
chrizow wrote:i've never been terribly impressed with the execution at any Bread & Butter joint - it seems like all the energy goes into the "concept" and atmosphere and less into what actually comes out on the plate.
Seconded, although the one time I tried Gram and Dun I found it to be a bit above par for B&B. Still not great though.
The thing i don't get is why are all these "concepts" so fricking popular? I've actually never stepped foot in a single B&B joint because I've heard mixed reviews but the people that seem to love them are also people that seem to love Applebee's so maybe they appeal to people with bland/boring tastebuds?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I really like The Oliver. The cocktail menu is unique - they bottle some mixed drinks, and the ones I have tried have been great. In a time when bars are charging $10 for a god damn Manhattan with Old Overholt, I appreciate a little imagination and creativity for my overpriced cocktail.

I would put the food as "above average" - on par with G&D. Definitely better than Applebee (which is a pretty rough comparison if you actually haven't been to one of their restaurants).
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

B&B is filling a niche that people want, they just aren't capable of getting the food on par with the trendy decor and expectations.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I think that's it. The spaces look really nice, well-decorated, the menus look promising, and the prices aren't stupid high but set a certain expectation. Then you get the food and it's... okay. I guess kind of analogous to going to a super hip looking, locally owned coffeeshop, being stoked that they claim to have a nice, lightly roasted yirgacheffe, then being unable to discern whether it isn't actually Folger's.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I've actually never been impressed with any steakhouse in this city and I kind of hate how we are somewhat known as a steakhouse/bbq only kind of destination but we are actually just a great overall food city. I actually think we rank higher for food than bigger metros like Denver, Twin Cities and St Louis.

I think this city has great chefs because we also have such a great art scene and I think those compliment each other. I just don't get the B&B niche though, seems like it would be a restaurant group that would absolutely flourish in bland cities like OKC, Tulsa, Wichita and Springfield
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I've actually never been impressed with any steakhouse in this city and I kind of hate how we are somewhat known as a steakhouse/bbq only kind of destination but we are actually just a great overall food city. I actually think we rank higher for food than bigger metros like Denver, Twin Cities and St Louis.

I think this city has great chefs because we also have such a great art scene and I think those compliment each other. I just don't get the B&B niche though, seems like it would be a restaurant group that would absolutely flourish in bland cities like OKC, Tulsa, Wichita and Springfield
I would not be at all surprised if that wasn't already in their business plan.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Darn...I had high hopes...I'll still give it a shot.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Bread and Butter Concpets filled for Bankruptcy but plan to stay open. I am not really that suprised, they haven't really done anything to wow me as a customer, they basically just followed trends in food and never really stood out.

Maybe Bread and Butter focused too much on already established and high rent places? They would have probably had better success locating in places like Parkville, Liberty, Gladstone, North KC, Waldo. Look at Summit Grill, that is starting to pop up all over the metro, but they aren't in expensive locations, basically in locations that were kind of undervalued.
https://www.kmbc.com/article/several-kc ... n/29804793

Henington said she has seen a shift on the Country Club Plaza lately.
“I didn’t expect Shake Shack to pop up or Old Navy and I didn’t expect us to leave,” she said.
She worries what it means for the future.
“It feels like a community being ripped apart at this point,” Henington said.
You know maybe if people that lived around the plaza would stop rejecting anything over 5 feet and added density then maybe the plaza wouldn't be in the situation it is now plus there is more a shift for the local places to be downtown/crossroads so why wouldn't B&B open restaurants in that area, hell even open something along 39th or Broadway in Midtown.

Wonder if the bloodbath on restaurants is going to continue. I have a feeling the only ones making money are the landlords who own the buildings, i'm sure the rents are way overpriced
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

There's something very sterile about their eats, like many corporate restaurants.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:38 am Bread and Butter Concpets filled for Bankruptcy but plan to stay open. I am not really that suprised, they haven't really done anything to wow me as a customer, they basically just followed trends in food and never really stood out.

Maybe Bread and Butter focused too much on already established and high rent places? They would have probably had better success locating in places like Parkville, Liberty, Gladstone, North KC, Waldo. Look at Summit Grill, that is starting to pop up all over the metro, but they aren't in expensive locations, basically in locations that were kind of undervalued.
https://www.kmbc.com/article/several-kc ... n/29804793

Henington said she has seen a shift on the Country Club Plaza lately.
“I didn’t expect Shake Shack to pop up or Old Navy and I didn’t expect us to leave,” she said.
She worries what it means for the future.
“It feels like a community being ripped apart at this point,” Henington said.
You know maybe if people that lived around the plaza would stop rejecting anything over 5 feet and added density then maybe the plaza wouldn't be in the situation it is now plus there is more a shift for the local places to be downtown/crossroads so why wouldn't B&B open restaurants in that area, hell even open something along 39th or Broadway in Midtown.

Wonder if the bloodbath on restaurants is going to continue. I have a feeling the only ones making money are the landlords who own the buildings, i'm sure the rents are way overpriced
Is this the Gram and Dunn owner? I actually really like Gram and Dunn. Great atmosphere.