1 Thing that is happening (aka Rock and Brews to OP)

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

1 Thing that is happening (aka Rock and Brews to OP)

Post by Highlander »

135th is an enigmatic location choice for this place. Seems like the dudes who started this place would have preferred a more urban locale. Also seems like the kind of place the Power and Light District was supposed to attract (but never has). I guess they are playing it safe out in JoCo.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/04/29/49 ... nt_refhome
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 1 Thing that is happening (aka Rock and Brews to OP)

Post by Demosthenes »

There's probably a lot of old Kiss fans out in Johnson County. I'm sure it does well out there, though it probably would have done real well out in eastern Jackson County too. Not sure the urban core would have been the best place for it. I don't imagine there are that many Kiss fans in the city, not compared to the 'burbs.

You are right about Power and Light though. This would have fit in well. Shoot, maybe they could have even filled one of their empty storefronts!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't know if there could be a lamer concept than this. I mean the Jimmy Buffett restaurant is trying to be kind of kitsch at least. This is just...pathetic.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

So it's like Hard Rock Cafe Lite. Not going to do well for very long in my opinion. And I don't think it would do all that well in P&L either.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It's really not a bad place to go if you wanna rock and roll all night and party everyday. BYOB ({razor} blades).
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtonic wrote:So it's like Hard Rock Cafe Lite. Not going to do well for very long in my opinion. And I don't think it would do all that well in P&L either.
Didn't something like this fail at The Legends recently?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

flyingember wrote:
KCtonic wrote:So it's like Hard Rock Cafe Lite. Not going to do well for very long in my opinion. And I don't think it would do all that well in P&L either.
Didn't something like this fail at The Legends recently?
Yes, some kind of biker/bbq outfit if I remember correctly.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Yep, Backfire BBQ closed in September.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KISS is literally the worst band that isn't called Blue Cheer that I can think of, and they've turned that dog into cash for decades. Hell, in spite of my utter disdain for their musicianship and embarrassment at their lyrics full of over-the-top sexism and juvenile sexuality in general, I still like them. I don't even know why. My gut still says this restaurant concept is stupid and will fail, but my brain has a hard time betting against the KISS money printing machine.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

mean wrote:KISS is literally the worst band that isn't called Blue Cheer that I can think of, and they've turned that dog into cash for decades. Hell, in spite of my utter disdain for their musicianship and embarrassment at their lyrics full of over-the-top sexism and juvenile sexuality in general, I still like them. I don't even know why.
Chuck Klosterman feels the same way, as it turns out
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote:KISS is literally the worst band that isn't called Blue Cheer that I can think of, and they've turned that dog into cash for decades. Hell, in spite of my utter disdain for their musicianship and embarrassment at their lyrics full of over-the-top sexism and juvenile sexuality in general, I still like them. I don't even know why. My gut still says this restaurant concept is stupid and will fail, but my brain has a hard time betting against the KISS money printing machine.
i agree with you about KISS....but Blue Cheer kills!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If by kills you mean kills their instruments by hitting the strings and/or skins with enough fierce velocity that they probably could have single-handedly provided the operating revenue for both Remo and Ernie Ball, then I'm with you. It may be important to point out that this doesn't mean I don't like them, although admittedly my opinion on their musicianship is based almost entirely on Vincebus Eruptum. For all I know their later work may have shown significant growth, but if memory serves, that particular album is mostly good for being really loud and earnest and honest rather than for being a shining example of musical craftsmanship.

edit: great, after sampling some of their other tunes online I may have to go through their entire catalog and see what they were all about.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Perhaps. It certainly doesn't have an effect on whether or not I like something. Well, not much, anyway.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Too true, too true. As a person who plays instruments instead of making bleep bloops with a computer, this bothers me.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: if memory serves, that particular album is mostly good for being really loud and earnest and honest rather than for being a shining example of musical craftsmanship.
loud, earnest rock with a killer guitar sound goes a long way in my world. blue cheer is the musical equivalent of crushing a 6er of bud heavy while grilling meat with your buddies on a hot day. complexity is not the concern; it just goes down nicely. that said i cannot really abide "summertime blues."
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chrizow wrote: loud, earnest rock with a killer guitar sound
just for fun, in a similar vein is "Mustache in Your Face" by the KC band Pretty. this was recorded out in the caves off 291/Truman Rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhmo_b3jk2o
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Nice. In a similar vein are most of the bands I played with throughout the early aughts, so I'm not at all dissing the vibe. A Pitch review of a live show from 2000 stated, "It helps if the songs are good, but that may come later for EF, which for now emphasizes volume the way Penthouse emphasizes breasts," and described our songs as, "chiseled fakery rather than sculpted finery, and 100 percent in your face." There was another Pitch writeup at one point after we got kicked off the stage at Blayney's for being too loud. So I appreciate the WOO GUITARS BRAH aesthetic.