Boulevardia - June 13-15, 2014

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Boulevardia - June 13-15, 2014

Post by longviewmo »

There was a little bit about this festival in the Star. It got at least one rave review from an OP couple who didn't know that there was actually stuff in the West Bottoms.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We went to Genessee Royal Bistro for snacks and cocktails prior, the traffic jams were bizarre. Everyone wanted to drive right up to the bridge.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

How was the festival? I was a little turned off by the admission, the beer fest I went to in Belgium was 20 euros for 8 samples and a beer glass. This admission just covered the music. Also, why do we have shitty names for events? Boulevardia and Kansasrockas are just god awful names for festivals
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Hmmm, I kind of like "Boulevardia".

We were there Friday night and it was quite enjoyable. As for value, $15 for music and maybe some free samples of food. Beers cost $6.

The taps and tastes on Saturday was $75, but included food and drink.

Curious to see how they adapt/adjust for next year as I would think it will be even better attended.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Doesn't seem to be getting great reviews....why even charge an admission fee?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Source? How does this differ from say Spirit Fest, or 4th of July at Berkley Park? Or even Rockfest? Not that I would object to free admission, but sometimes it does keep the riffraff away.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

My buddy said it was a ripoff, why would u call it boulevardia if other breweries were involved? Why not call it the Kansas City Summer Beer Festival and include 4 samples in the admission price.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

grovester wrote:Source? How does this differ from say Spirit Fest, or 4th of July at Berkley Park? Or even Rockfest? Not that I would object to free admission, but sometimes it does keep the riffraff away.
Source of what....bad reviews? People I know who went felt it was a ripoff. Yeah I mean I guess you charge with all those bands....
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I really enjoyed Sunday. I wish you'd get a least one free sample with admission, but $15 for a music fest is pretty standard, isn't it?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I think their biggest mistake on this was the messaging. Calling it Boulevardia and then having essentially a Beerfest (with other brewers) and music fest combined was a little confusing. Blvd also gave away control of this to the "community" even though they paid for a lot of it...which is odd and confusing to the average attendee b/c all their gripes are directed towards Boulevard (understandably) even though they weren't the ones in charge.

Essentially they formed a board of community members who had final say over everything and then the Blvd staff had to execute, whether they agreed or not. And from what I hear this was a huge headache for the Blvd employees and they definitely had some differences in opinions on the concepts and design of the festival...but were powerless to change it.

All that aside, I attended Friday night and had a great time in a great setting. I'm looking forward to it again next year. The more festivals the better.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

We went Saturday afternoon. 2 couples.

Admission = $60
Cab transport to/from Brookide = $60 (Uber/Lyft both unavailable after several attempts)
Beers = 6 bucks a pop/ $120 (BLVD products only...unless you wanted to wait in a ridiculous line)
Food (Taco Republic) = $50 (3 tacos each/side of some roasted corn/ bag of tortillas)

We got lucky and grabbed a high-top table at the bar next to main stage. It protected us from the sun and having to eat a bunch of dust from the high winds + rocky ground. I would've been miserable if we hadn't scored that table.

Really glad I didn't do the Taps and Tastes. You knew coming into the main gates of the fest that it was going to be an epic cluster and based on reviews it was. I'm sure they will get that corrected.

Overall, we concluded that we could've had just as good a time sitting on our front porch with friends. I'm happy the fest did well and all of that, just not sure I will spend my money on it again unless the bands really appeal to me. I would've like to have seen Captial Cities, but the late start time didn't work for us.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sounds like Saturday was the issue, not surprisingly. I think a free sample would go a long way and also perhaps refiguring the ratio of ticket price to beer price.

I bought the weekend pass, but could only go Friday night. At the gate they took the pass and gave us four single day passes good for either day which I was able to pass on to friends. For $8.33 I can't complain, but I will. Who do you have to blow to get a dark beer? The darkest brew at the BLVD tents was the tank 7. Did they drop Bully Porter?

Look forward to next year when I will try to go on Sunday. More my speed anyway. Loved the local music stage!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kboish wrote:I think their biggest mistake on this was the messaging. Calling it Boulevardia and then having essentially a Beerfest (with other brewers) and music fest combined was a little confusing.
kboish wrote:All that aside, I attended Friday night and had a great time in a great setting. I'm looking forward to it again next year. The more festivals the better.
Just curious... Where did you find other beer? I thought one of the biggest mislabelings was that Boulevard promoted the availability of beer from other brewers and it really wasn't available at all. They had 3 special tappings on Friday, and all of them were gone within a few minutes of being tapped. Other than those fleeting special tappings, you had to be one of the lucky few who got a ticket to the more expensive tasting event on Saturday to try other brewers' beer. Still, $6 for Tank 7 at a festival is a pretty great deal. I think they will learn a lot in the evolution from year #1 to #2, but it was a very solid first attempt. I do not get anyone that complains about $16 for an event with two stages of music. Whoever booked the music could have done a lot better (in my mind), but that seems incredibly cheap. Also, I'm on board with liking the name Boulevardia.

I wish I could have been there on Sunday for the craft distiller section. One of the biggest complaints I heard from others (in large part from females) was the lack of any liquor options on Friday night. Not everyone can drink thick beer all night. A Boulevard beer-cocktail stand would have been a great addition, or a beer-cocktail slushy vendor like Snow and Co. Also, I had a great time at the Ship after Boulevardia on Friday. In a way, it is sad they are more legit now, but the place looked great.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

bobbyhawks wrote:Just curious... Where did you find other beer? I thought one of the biggest mislabelings was that Boulevard promoted the availability of beer from other brewers and it really wasn't available at all. They had 3 special tappings on Friday, and all of them were gone within a few minutes of being tapped. Other than those fleeting special tappings, you had to be one of the lucky few who got a ticket to the more expensive tasting event on Saturday to try other brewers' beer.
No, you're right about this.

It was hard to get other brewer's beer in the actual fest part. I don't think I stated it clearly, but what I meant was having the other beer tasting during the festival (requiring separate ticketing) and then not having those beers accessible for purchase during the festival was a bit confusing. I was hoping they would be selling all kinds of beer during the larger festival- not just what I could get at any bar in KC.

and really I'd say I was never quite sure what to expect to be honest. I think they will improve year to year on this as well.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

For what it's worth, Jeremy Danner mentioned on another forum that you can email him with (Taps and Tastes/otherwise beer-related, presumably) Boulevardia feedback.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Unfortunately I missed Boulevardia this year (was in STL), but I have heard similar complaints about the lines. Reminds me of "food truck friday" a few weeks ago at FF in the xroads...lines so long, and service so poor from most of the food trucks that we just skipped them completely and enjoyed all of the greatness going on around us and had a late dinner at Grunauer.

One of my all-time favorite beer/wine festivals was the American Royal Brew-Ha-Ha at Hale Arena a few years back. Pay a set fee, get a ticket in and a tasting glass, and then drink as much as you want all night. Make the fee high enough and you keep lines within reason.

Clearly BLVD wants this to be more of a community festival than a strictly beer tasting event, but it sounds like it could have been better executed. I do love the idea of utilizing the 12th Street Bridge as the center of the festival, and placing it in the Bottoms in general.

Would like to hear more reviews...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Star gives a thumbs up. Esimates are 7k Friday night, 15k Saturday.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Pitch was generally positive as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I haven't talked to a person yet that liked it? Dunno. Generally it's around way too long of lines and the beer selection being pretty meh.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

KCMax wrote:Star gives a thumbs up. Esimates are 7k Friday night, 15k Saturday.

Mail It In Tim Finn was strictly writing fom the music angle.