Rye

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Rye

Post by chrizow »

Rye, the new restaurant from the Garrelts (of Bluestem fame) is scheduled to open at Mission Farms on 12/20, per the Pitch.

The menu has been posted online, and it looks awesome: http://www.ryekc.com/menu.php

I love the family-style sides.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Rye

Post by KCPowercat »

Best of luck to them. With that style of menu and location, doubt I ever make it.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

We had the pleasure of dining at Rye last night.

I had never been to any of the prior restaurants in that space, but suffice it to say, the new room looks amazing. It is very warm and rustic and has a very comfortable feel. Lots of room at the big, well stocked bar. Fingers crossed for some fabulous happy hour specials at the bar a la Bluestem. About 15-18 beers on tap including a full complement of Boulevard along with several other regional brews. The cocktail menu included many classics along with some clever new creations.

We sampled several appetizers which were pretty good. The main dishes were really good with the filet and the trout being the favorites. I had the BBQ brisket which had a great smoky BBQ flavor. All of the side dishes sounded wonderful, but didn't quite live up to their expectations.

A couple dessert selections topped off the meal.

I like that all of the main dishes are offered in the three sizes - a taste, for 1 and for 2. With a group you could could sample a little bit of everything.

As it was their first night, there are certainly some tweaks required, but we had a really wonderful experience. Rye is a great addition to the area and Mission Farms is really turning into a great dining destination. The new Pizza Bella should be opening soon and the new Tavern seems to be killing it.

Congratulations to ChefColby and Megan! We will be back soon.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Wednesday night was a total shit show for us... (of course first night!) The food will come around.. Already much better last night. Thank you so much for the feed back KCLofts! I hope people will put aside their biases and understand we are a metro wide city and come and see us. We are doing this restaurant for the love of KC...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we will definitely check it out soon!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ChefColby wrote:Wednesday night was a total shit show for us... (of course first night!) The food will come around.. Already much better last night. Thank you so much for the feed back KCLofts! I hope people will put aside their biases and understand we are a metro wide city and come and see us. We are doing this restaurant for the love of KC...
It's not really "bias" to just refuse to leave the city to eat in a strip mall somewhere.

I live in SF now and I would never in a million years travel to a restaurant in San Mateo. I know I'm not alone. It doesn't make sense when there are dozens and dozens of great options nearby. The same could be said of KC to an extent...

Regardless, best wishes with the new venture. Place looks great.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

trailerkid wrote:
ChefColby wrote:Wednesday night was a total shit show for us... (of course first night!) The food will come around.. Already much better last night. Thank you so much for the feed back KCLofts! I hope people will put aside their biases and understand we are a metro wide city and come and see us. We are doing this restaurant for the love of KC...
It's not really "bias" to just refuse to leave the city to eat in a strip mall somewhere.

I live in SF now and I would never in a million years travel to a restaurant in San Mateo. I know I'm not alone. It doesn't make sense when there are dozens and dozens of great options nearby. The same could be said of KC to an extent...

Regardless, best wishes with the new venture. Place looks great.
It's a 15 minute drive from downtown to Mission Farms. I understand if one doesn't have a car, but if you do, it's not exactly a trek to get there.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

trailerkid wrote:It's not really "bias" to just refuse to leave the suburbs to eat in a city's urban core.

I live in San Mateo now and I would never in a million years travel to a restaurant in San Francisco. I know I'm not alone. It doesn't make sense when there are dozens and dozens of great options nearby.
Just having some fun putting the shoe on the other foot.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Tk's assertion borders on the absurd. Folks who want to eat in the Bay Area will go wherever
the good food is, be it the East Bay, the Peninsula, or Marin/Sonoma. Lots of the best Asian food
in the BA resides on the Peninsula because that's where a sizable amount of Asians live.
just one example:
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/884365
Last edited by bbqboy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcmetro wrote:It's a 15 minute drive from downtown to Mission Farms. I understand if one doesn't have a car, but if you do, it's not exactly a trek to get there.
That is a stretch. You could maybe get there in 15 minutes if you were speeding quite a bit, traffic was light, and every light on 71 was green.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

If the food is good enough, why would one care how long it takes?
Do people bitch at going to Justis Drugstore or is this really about locating a 2nd joint in JoCo?
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

bobbyhawks wrote:
kcmetro wrote:It's a 15 minute drive from downtown to Mission Farms. I understand if one doesn't have a car, but if you do, it's not exactly a trek to get there.
That is a stretch. You could maybe get there in 15 minutes if you were speeding quite a bit, traffic was light, and every light on 71 was green.
I live at 131st and mission rd it takes me 20 minutes to get door to door at bluestem and I take state line to Ward pkwy
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
trailerkid wrote:It's not really "bias" to just refuse to leave the suburbs to eat in a city's urban core.

I live in San Mateo now and I would never in a million years travel to a restaurant in San Francisco. I know I'm not alone. It doesn't make sense when there are dozens and dozens of great options nearby.
Just having some fun putting the shoe on the other foot.
I've lived in the urban core of KC, Chicago and LA my for most of my adult life and I find it very interesting how some people who point point fingers at others for being so intolerant about diverse cultures are also so intolerant about where people live.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

bbqboy wrote:If the food is good enough, why would one care how long it takes?
Do people bitch at going to Justis Drugstore or is this really about locating a 2nd joint in JoCo?
Fair point, and I didn't mean for this to turn into a landing spot for complaints about driving. I just thought 15 minutes was pretty generous from the loop.

I still don't think people downtown avoiding a restaurant because of distance (or people who live in the burbs doing so) is wrong. It is a matter of how you choose to live your life. I chose to live downtown so I don't have to drive 25 minutes (or at all) to go to a nice dinner. A cab to Mission Farms and back is a nice bottle of wine at a shorter commute. People in the burbs are more accustomed to driving to destination events and locales, and that is great, too. There are a lot more of them than there are of me, and suburban families/couples/singles should not have to drive downtown for every nice meal. If I didn't like to have a few drinks with dinner, I'd probably be out South eating at any number of the great Asian restaurants I have yet to try, or at places like Justus or in Lawrence a lot more often.

For selfish reasons, I would like to see the city's best restaurants closer to me (as I'm sure people near Mission Farms are thrilled). I moved dowtown because of decisions I have made to be safe on the roads and due to all of the options I have in my immediate surroundings. If I plan to be in the area, I will absolutely make an effort to visit Rye due to the sublime food and excellent service I have experienced at Bluestem. I hope this place is a huge success, and I will definitely look for an excuse to be in that direction. I will still always pull for downtown locations when possible (again selfish reasons) because I think that making downtown a destination of density is the most important thing to our city, suburbs and all. If I were running a restaurant, I would have a completely different set of goals, so any such comments from me should be seen through the spectrum of my own selfish goals for downtown KC and desire for the city to improve based on my lifestyle choices.
ChefColby wrote:I've lived in the urban core of KC, Chicago and LA my for most of my adult life and I find it very interesting how some people who point point fingers at others for being so intolerant about diverse cultures are also so intolerant about where people live.
Again, didn't mean to offend. I won't post here anymore unless it is about the food (as should be the topic moving forward). I've been suckered into the location discussion too many times, and it is a much larger topic than just concerning Rye. There are few who elevate the level of fine dining in KC as you and your endeavors, and it is clear the level of passion from your comments along with a few other frequent chef/owner contributors to the forum.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

My comments weren't really directed at you, bobbyhawks, only that you guys have a World Class Chef in your midst and a couple of he and his mate's establishments that folks in most places would pine for, eagerly support and travel MANY
miles to be eat at.
Instead, the conversation again turns to the same stale urban/suburban argument and completely ignores the food, which looks and sounds luscious. My guess, looking at the menu, is that it isn't really oriented towards Young Urban Hipster pioneers anyway.
As for the location, there's money in them thar hills, or farms if you will.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

I'll stop stiring the pot... I know that's not what anyone was implying. Just wanted to make a point! See you all soon! We very proud of what we've built!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

As suburban joco locations go, mission farms is a breeze to get to. No highway driving from midtown just a decent drive down ward pkwy to lee or mission and down. Of course I would love rye to be in the urban core, but it isn't. We are willing to make the drive for the food. Hopefully we will be in soon!
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

An interested listener inquired (of me), is there any Rye at Rye? Either the bread of the drink?
Or was it just a cool name?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I assume they have rye whiskey, since they have cocktails, and its a pretty essential part of the current mixologist cannon.

But more than that, I think its just a name in keeping with the "native prairie grasses" theme a la bluestem.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I figured the whiskey, and the grain, but hadn't considered the grass.