Rye

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
smh
Supporter

Re: Rye

Post by smh »

StL_Dan wrote:
earthling wrote:We just had shrimp salad on a nice Jewish rye lightly toasted, just not as good on anything else. Rye toast also perfect with spinach/feta omelettes but is mildly annoying in KC as any place that does serve it will give you a marble rye, which just doesn't cut it. Not sure why everything is marble rye around here, have never seen white seeded rye in a KC restaurant (yet). An E Coast friend has pointed that out several times. First world problem in KC.

Katz pastrami, always on Jewish rye...
https://www.google.com/search?q=katz+pa ... 66&bih=643

But of course the best product ever created with rye in the history of mankind...
http://tinyurl.com/lltzk3x
What are all those little black seedy things all over the beef?
The pepper?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

rye bread is awesome. also fennel is awesome. we frequently make a really great pasta that has fresh fennel, fennel seed, AND sausage in it....i'll invite you over next time we make it, STLDan.

i could go for a pastis this weekend, too. 8)
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

chrizow wrote:rye bread is awesome. also fennel is awesome. we frequently make a really great pasta that has fresh fennel, fennel seed, AND sausage in it....i'll invite you over next time we make it, STLDan.

i could go for a pastis this weekend, too. 8)
Deal! 8-[ 8)
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We dined here this week and the food was fantastic. As I'd heard, the fried chicken is at another level from anything else I've had in town (haven't had Cafe Europa yet). We also had the salmon and it was perfect. No sauce to mask any flaws, slight crispy on the outside and succulent inside. The lemon flavor contrasted nicely with the fennel over the top. Cocktails were great, thought I thought old fashioneds had an ice cube, the Pimm's cup was quite fresh and cucumbery.

My only complaint would be the bartender/server. Don't get me wrong, they were quite competent and not rude, but there was an aloofness and lack of humour/smile that was off-putting. Maybe it's a factor of eating in south Joco, it's been a while. It's a small complaint and would certainly not prevent me from going back or recommending heartily. Frankly, I think Colby should open a couple of more around town.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DAMN THAT CHICKEN'S GOOD. So was the service. And now I have a reason to use the rest of the bottle of Campari i bought 2 years ago, a Boulevardier.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Sorry man, had a couple of negronis and just couldn't get into the earthiness of it all.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

So, had my first visit to Rye on the Plaza this past weekend... Am I missing something about the fried chicken? The batter was unique, but it is far from great as has been described by many. I tried a bit of food from all four people at my brunch (B&G, omelette, and chicken sandwich), and nothing was really worth returning to try again. The bourbon selection is top notch, I have to say, and the brunch menu LOOKS amazing with very reasonable pricing, but I was really disappointed in the entire meal. I absolutely love Bluestem, so I was surprised to not enjoy things. Has the quality gone down over time, or is it just not for me?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've only been once, probably a bit over a year ago, and I thought the fried chicken was pretty awesome.

But, I mean, it's still fried chicken.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i thought the brunch sucked summer 2018 and was supremely disappointed in my order and in what i sampled from others. others were happy with their food fwiw. also fwiw i was hungover. i don't have any real interest in going back. this was at plaza location, i've never been to the other.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

We love bluestem but have only been to each of the Rye locations once and it rarely is on our minds. The fried chicken is good, but not great. I'd like to go back for pie: https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 02877.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i don't seek out fried chicken but Rye's is probably the best i've had. where in KC is better? i feel like there is kind of a limit on how good fried chicken can really be. i'll take a great roast chicken anyday!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

If I just need a fried chicken fix, Go Chicken Go is just fine.

As far as the best fried chicken in KC, I ride with Anthony's on Sundays.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Is the chicken on Sunday at char bar any good?

I love go chicken go and Gus's fried chicken
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:09 pm Is the chicken on Sunday at char bar any good?

I love go chicken go and Gus's fried chicken
I agree with Chrizow that there's a limit to how good fried chicken can be, and the chicken at Rye was nothing more than standard IMO. That said, the fried chicken at Char Bar on Sundays is probably the best I've had at any restaurant...and it sells out quickly. Juicy, flavorful and just a hint of spiciness and honey on the coating.

I went to Fox and Pearl on Tuesday and was really tempted to try their fried chicken, but it was $29 for single portion o $55 for family style and that was too much when there were so many other options.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:48 am i don't seek out fried chicken but Rye's is probably the best i've had. where in KC is better? i feel like there is kind of a limit on how good fried chicken can really be. i'll take a great roast chicken anyday!
I think some of the best fried chicken around can be found in a little dive on the north side of Truman Road just east of Benton Boulevard called Portia's Cafe. It's the Thursday special, and the only day of the week they have it (go early, they will sell out--they open at 6am for breakfast and I understand that people actually show up at 6am for fried chicken). I am not prepared to say it will change your life (it's fried chicken) but it's well worth a short adventure into the northeast. And the employees are the best, at least if you're looking for friendly down home banter and being called "hon" or "sweetie" or whatever a lot, which may not fly with everyone, but I'm fine with it.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

North End in Columbus Park has a great chicken special on Saturday nights.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We do the North End every other month, but some of those mentioned sound very intriguing!
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Rye has an excellent brunch. I go there once a month or so. Amazing potato cakes, crapes, and pancakes!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It has been years since I've been, but Brookville Hotel (in Abilene) is the best non-fast food fried chicken I've had in the region.

I probably won't come back to Rye for food, but I will likely be back for bourbon.