Alamo Drafthouse Cinema coming to KC

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema coming to KC

Post by KCMax »

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2012/05/ ... st-ad.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/fbh/3031685750.html
"One of the 10 Best Theaters in the World" - CNN International
"Coolest Movie Theater in the World" - Wired.com
"Best Theater in America" - Entertainment Weekly

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is a movie watching experience unlike any other and we're coming to Kansas City! We're the best at what we do because we hire the best people in the business, and we want YOU to help lead our team.
Why is the Drafthouse a great career option?
http://drafthouse.com/
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema coming to KC

Post by mean »

Huh! I drove by one of those in San Antonio last month and was like, what the hell is that?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nice! alamo drafthouse is great. i went to the one in austin years ago for a screening of a compilation of hilarious and absurd commercials from asian television. my impression is that alamo theatres put together unique programming and special events.

is there any indication as to location? if it's going to the burbs i will punch a kitten.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think this would really hurt the Screenland and Tivoli companies if they moved to the core. I would bet that they move to downtown OP.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I think this would really hurt the Screenland and Tivoli companies if they moved to the core. I would bet that they move to downtown OP.
well, it depends. from looking at their website, it seems like some of the alamo drafthouses merely show first-run mainstream movies like the avengers, five-year engagement, etc....but then the ones in urban austin show old movies like mad max, or have special events. this would have basically zero overlap with tivoli either way, although screenland would suffer.

maybe they are taking over the crossroads screenland. hasn't it been for sale for a while?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it looks like alamo has locations in denver and the DC area - all in suburban locations like littleton CO and northern VA. thus, i bet they go to JoCo. pretty weak.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

If they're already hiring, it has to be an existing theater they're purchasing, right?

The Craigslist posting was for KCMO, FWIW.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote:If they're already hiring, it has to be an existing theater they're purchasing, right?

yeah, i do wonder if maybe they are taking over the Screenland Xroads (and maybe N. Armour-is that still open?) locations. OR, for that matter, the westport Tivoli. the owners have let it become quite shabby, and i always wonder how well it's doing since the screenings we go to are rarely well-attended. it would be a shame, but if ADH can bring alcohol to that location and also the indie-film and special-screening/event focus, it will be a big upgrade.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote:
KCMax wrote:If they're already hiring, it has to be an existing theater they're purchasing, right?

yeah, i do wonder if maybe they are taking over the Screenland Xroads (and maybe N. Armour-is that still open?) locations. OR, for that matter, the westport Tivoli. the owners have let it become quite shabby, and i always wonder how well it's doing since the screenings we go to are rarely well-attended. it would be a shame, but if ADH can bring alcohol to that location and also the indie-film and special-screening/event focus, it will be a big upgrade.

Crossroads and Armour Screenlands have seperate ownerships. Armour is thriving, though more of us should remember to patronize this gem (yes, you!).

The Armour Screenland had its fourth birthday, yesterday. Thanks Butch!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Maybe this topic needs to get bumped to the 'Where Places Might or Should Go' thread :lol:
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

The guy in charge of this place came by my bar over the weekend. We talked about the concept, and it coming to KC, but he wouldn't tell me where. Only that it was "close". Which makes me think maybe Screenlands Crossroads.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC Sporting Life wrote:The guy in charge of this place came by my bar over the weekend. We talked about the concept, and it coming to KC, but he wouldn't tell me where. Only that it was "close". Which makes me think maybe Screenlands Crossroads.
nice! great tip. did he mention whether it would be more of the indie/special screenings/events mold, or the mainstream movie house mold? i'd think the latter would have a hard time competing so close to Mainstreet AMC, but the former would be great.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

chrizow wrote:
KC Sporting Life wrote:The guy in charge of this place came by my bar over the weekend. We talked about the concept, and it coming to KC, but he wouldn't tell me where. Only that it was "close". Which makes me think maybe Screenlands Crossroads.
nice! great tip. did he mention whether it would be more of the indie/special screenings/events mold, or the mainstream movie house mold? i'd think the latter would have a hard time competing so close to Mainstreet AMC, but the former would be great.

Chriz, it's my understanding that they do a lot of indie flicks, special events, etc....I wasn't familiar with the concept until I met him, but it sounds really cool. He's also a cocktail guy, and wants to offer a higher quality overall bar experience.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Changes Soon at AMC’s Power & Light Theater
In an interview will KMBC TV, Lopez says the changes could happen in the immediate future, perhaps in the Next couple of weeks.
“It will continue to be a movie theater”, Lopez says, “Our level of involvement remains to be decided.” Lopez denied the reports that AMC Is selling the theater.
“No, I don’t think that would be accurate”, he said.
Hmmmm....
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

They could possibly move into Zona Rosa where the former Majestic Theaters and Studio Movie Grill was.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Before I read Max's quote I though Mainstreet. Now I'm almost positive.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I would guess that AMC is using the additional funds generated by their sale to expand in the market and purchase Alamo. Perhaps Mainstreet will be part of the first rebranding of all theaters or just the theater/restaurant combos will carry the Alamo name.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

beautyfromashes wrote:I would guess that AMC is using the additional funds generated by their sale to expand in the market and purchase Alamo. Perhaps Mainstreet will be part of the first rebranding of all theaters or just the theater/restaurant combos will carry the Alamo name.
That's an angle I hadn't considered. Good thought.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

They should go into the Lyric!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

taxi wrote:They should go into the Lyric!

Sorry Taxi. They are about to announce the conversion of the Lyric into a Bossa Nova museum.