KC's Top Ten Dive Bars

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

KC's Top Ten Dive Bars

Post by KCMax »

http://cowtownchow.blogspot.com/2011/10 ... l?spref=tw

Agree? Disagree? No Davey's Uptown?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: KC's Top Ten Dive Bars

Post by heatherkay »

I think Davey's is too much of a music venue, although it's definitely a dive bar during the day. None of the bars on that list have live music as a main focus, although the News Room does have some music some times. I think DB Coopers is the real miss on that list.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

What's DB Coopers? Seems like a pretty good list, though by the time I moved to KC my best dive bar days were behind me. I dig Bobby Baker's, and the Keyhole is my neighborhood watering hole.

I think Cigar Box is pretty overrated, but have only been once or twice. Drinks are much more expensive than a dive bar should have, and I like the Platonic ideal of Al Latta much more than the actual Al Latta. Maybe I need to try again.

Walsh's Corner Cocktail is new to me, sounds like it warrants a visit.

Surprised to see Zoo Bar and Chez Charlie left off the list.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Bobby Bakers isn't even a dive anymore, it's way to crowded on the weekends and too cool these days to be considered a dive. I walked into this place not knowing it was a gay bar but Side Street bar on like 33rd just off Gilham is a true dive, the place reaks of piss
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Dave's Stagecoach, Newsroom, Blarney Stone, Caddyshack are far more divey than that list with some pretty colorful characters.

DB Cooper's is pretty trippey - blank staring old farts still stuck in the 50s. Usually too dead to suggest though.

I'm not sure if Mike's Westsider qualifies as a dive bar but for some reason I've been checking in about once or twice a month for the cheap doable grub. They always have a fish of the day that is usually not too bad. Steaks are reasonably priced and above average. I suppose a real dive bar doesn't serve food but of those that do, this is a pick.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Where's The Peanut?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the greatest dive bar of all time was that placed called "Soakies" in the old parking garage at 13th and Main that was next to the adult bookstore. :lol:

Did anyone ever eat of of those "Famous Soakies Sandwiches?"

And the runner-up had to be that place on the NE corner of 14th and Main. I think it was called The Goldmine Tavern.

Goldmine Tavern

http://kchistory.org/cdm4/item_viewer.p ... X=1&REC=13
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Zoo Bar has to be on the list. Chez Charlie, Karen's Kozy Cabin and Dave's Stagecoach would be on my top 10 as well.

Glad to see the Twin getting some good pub.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WSPanic wrote:Zoo Bar has to be on the list. Chez Charlie, Karen's Kozy Cabin and Dave's Stagecoach would be on my top 10 as well.

Glad to see the Twin getting some good pub.

South Waldo is a heavy hitter in the dive bar category, although I don't think that Walsh's qualifies. its more of a neighborhood bar. Tommy Farha's is the crown jewel of KC dives, though Northeast has a bunch of gems, the Bigger Jigger, Askew Inn and Karen's "Cocaine" Cabin.

To me Chez isn't a dive. I think a dive bar has to basically have the same clientelle at on a weekend night as a weekday afternoon, which rules out places like Baker's and Chez, which transform into scene and be seen spots on the weekends.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:I think the greatest dive bar of all time was that placed called "Soakies" in the old parking garage at 13th and Main that was next to the adult bookstore. :lol:

And the runner-up had to be that place on the NE corner of 14th and Main. I think it was called The Goldmine Tavern.

Goldmine Tavern

Yes, Fang, I did eat at Soakies a couple of times. The sandwiches were much like what is offered at Cafe' Al Dente today. It was a unique offering, in it's day. The place was off the grid, and as such was a lunch favorite with the business crowd that wanted a discreet rendevous, or to shoot a couple of cold ones away from the eyes of co-workers. (a lot of Jones store personnel slipped down the block to this joint).

Only went in the evening once, and it was obivious that it was a niche place that served a considerably older crowd than I and they were there to drink hard and take care of business that was off the margins.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I went to Gus's Goldmine a couple of times. That place was a trip and as divey as you can get. The owners were an older couple, and she would bartend and wear lingerie. There was usually a couple crack ho' dancers in the back and the same number of patrons.

While I see the value in the P&L, we have traded genuine flavor for packaged culture.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Gus's Goldmine was owned by a Greek waiter who retired from the Savoy, who would break into "She called me baby, baby all night long" at any time.

The sandwiches at Soakie's were indeed good, Loftguy. The dives I miss are the Ship, Rainbow (Home of the Hot Tomato Chaser), George's Jubilee Room at 36th and Main, the Keg at 39th and Main, either of the Bigger Jiggers, and the News Room burgers in the '80's, when all of these were open...actually, our favorite bar in the '70's-80's was Bryant's when Arthur was still alive, and a pitcher of Schlitz was $1.25, and dinner was a plate of fries and free burnt ends.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chingon wrote:To me Chez isn't a dive. I think a dive bar has to basically have the same clientelle at on a weekend night as a weekday afternoon, which rules out places like Baker's and Chez, which transform into scene and be seen spots on the weekends.
Huh, I've never been to almost any of the places on a weekend night. I get what you're saying, but it's hard for me to classify bars based on their clientele when I'm not there. Not trying to be snarky, an interesting question.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

town cow wrote:Gus's Goldmine was owned by a Greek waiter who retired from the Savoy, who would break into "She called me baby, baby all night long" at any time.

The sandwiches at Soakie's were indeed good, Loftguy. The dives I miss are the Ship, Rainbow (Home of the Hot Tomato Chaser), George's Jubilee Room at 36th and Main, the Keg at 39th and Main, either of the Bigger Jiggers, and the News Room burgers in the '80's, when all of these were open...actually, our favorite bar in the '70's-80's was Bryant's when Arthur was still alive, and a pitcher of Schlitz was $1.25, and dinner was a plate of fries and free burnt ends.
Where was the Rainbow?

You were aware that the News Room had rooms upstairs for "private parties", or at least they did in the 70's? The friendly ladies at the bar would sometimes offer the use of them to customers. Such friendly people.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

town cow wrote:Gus's Goldmine was owned by a Greek waiter who retired from the Savoy, who would break into "She called me baby, baby all night long" at any time.

The Ship is still around, by the way, just in a different location with irregular hours.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote:I think the greatest dive bar of all time was that placed called "Soakies" in the old parking garage at 13th and Main that was next to the adult bookstore. :lol:

Goldmine Tavern

Oh of course, my parents were close friends of the owner and his family. Spent a lot of time there but do not explicitely remember the sandwiches.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I would think these bars would rank among the best dives in the city. Has anyone been inside any of them?

Green Duck Tavern, 26th and Prospect.

Golden Bar, E. 9th and Spruce.

Gladstone Bar, E. 9th and Bellefontaine

AJ's Bar, Independence Avenue near Prospect

Jay's Bigger Jigger, E. 12th and Bellefontaine

Tom's Bigger Jigger, St. John and Belmont

The Shady Lady, E. 12th and Chestnut

Calico Cat, E. Independence Avenue/24 Highway and S. Hardy

Last edited by FangKC on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Years and years ago there was a place at about 84th and Wornall called Buster's Tavern. Since then the rather small building has been used for mainly an office for a very small used car lot.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Where is ScooterJ?

He was born for this thread.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

FangKC wrote:I would think these bars would rank among the best dives in the city. Has anyone been inside any of them?

Green Duck Tavern, 26th and Prospect.
NOPE

Golden Bar, E. 9th and Spruce.

NOPE

Gladstone Bar, E. 9th and Bellefontaine
CHECK

AJ's Bar, Independence Avenue near Prospect
CHECK

Jay's Bigger Jigger, E. 12th and Bellefontaine
CHECK

Tom's Bigger Jigger, St. John and Belmont
CHECK