KC's Top Ten Dive Bars

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KC's Top Ten Dive Bars

Post by FangKC »

Was there a bar in the Rasbach Hotel?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KCMax wrote:AJoD, would you recommend any of Mission's dive bars? I think JJ's, at least under the old management, was a decent enough dive bar.

I've also heard Court of Appeals out in Shawnee is a decent dive bar for JoCo.
My favorite thing about them is their density, which seems to me unique for Johnson County, and was certainly an attraction to buying a home where we did. My preference is for the Keyhole, which I rather enjoy and is closest to home by half. JJ's has reopened as Sully's. Not bad at all, a decent shuffleboard table and tap beers served in mason jars.

Clarette Club occupies quite a large space, lots of pool tables, and some oddly compelling "Reuben roll-ups" on the menu.

Not a dive, per se, but RJ's has opened a bar in their basement, which I don't see widely publicized, but is a nice little space and has a knowledgeable beer geek in charge, which is nice.

The Manhattan Lounge, contiguous with the Mission Theater, appears to be defunct.

The other notable drinking establishment in this stretch, Lucky Brewgrille, in no way is a dive bar, and thus rises for some above the level of the aforementioned competitors. I'm not a big fan.

I kind of dig Court Of aPpealS (from which I think they somehow get the acronym C.O.P.S.). I don't know if they have a smoking ban in Shawnee yet, but they did not the last time I was there. Both Court of Appeals and Clarette Club hold poker tournaments of some sort, I believe.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I barely recall visiting the Clarette Club after an inebriated evening at Knuckleheads. There was an Hispanic band playing "Free Bird" while a Asian woman in silver gogo boots owned the dance floor. Certainly a Hunter Thompson moment, and I was very relieved when I woke up in my own bed the next morning.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Met my wife at the Clarrette Club.

Also had a friend once convince a bartender there that shots of Patron were $7.50 because you were supposed to be served 2 shotglasses full. We drank the whole bottle, I tried to fight a kindly woman who took my keys and I attempted to drive home to KCK, but wound up in Waldo. I called a cab from Tanner's, drank for a while I waited then gave up on a taxi and drove home.

Two of the awesomest nights and scariest mornings-after of my life.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Sounds like I need to spend more time at the Clarette Club.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, those of you who wanted to experience the Green Duck Tavern at 26th and Prospect, it's too late. The Jackson County prosecutor is moving to shut the place down as a public nuisance.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/29686513/detail.html
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Flo's Polk A Dot Lounge should most certainly be on this list...I have ended up here on hard drinking expo's many times.. In my early 20's a buddy of mine picked up some nasty lady there in her mid 50's..took her to his house (which of course was his parents house too) apparently they did their business in the yard on the side of the house..then he proceeded to drive her to a random nearby grocery store and convinced her to get out of his car because her car was somewhere in the lot! He slammed the door and took off.. :lol: Not very nice but funny......
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chingon wrote:
There's also a string of bars in west Rosedale along SW Boulevard that rival south Waldo and Northeast for divulation density.
re-reading this thread, and chingon's post caught my eye. which bars are you referring to, mate? i can't think of any down by quick's, nor can i think of any bars along SW Blvd west of 35 as it becomes merriam ln?

inquiring minds must know.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yeah, I can't think of any until Roe Lane, Hitching Post, the old miss kitty's. There used to be one east of 35 at roe lane, the kickstand, but pretty sure that space is empty. I wonder if there's any up the hills to the west from SW/Merriam Ln?
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Also Double T's Roadhouse
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

That's the old Miss Kitty's, couldn't remember the name.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Yes, this is the strip I was talking about. There was a biker bar on 14th I think, where it snakes under I-35, and probably 4 or 5 bars around the bend where SW BLVD becomes Merriam Lane: Miss Kitty's, Hitching Post, a non-hipster speakeasy in house behind just south of Quick's, seemed like maybe another bar or 2.

Are they all gone? Last time I drank that stretch a Dottie who claimed to be an off duty cop threatened to frame me for possession of crack cocaine and I was rescued by a woman who entered the bar in overalls with no shirt on.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

chingon wrote:Yes, this is the strip I was talking about. There was a biker bar on 14th I think, where it snakes under I-35, and probably 4 or 5 bars around the bend where SW BLVD becomes Merriam Lane: Miss Kitty's, Hitching Post, a non-hipster speakeasy in house behind just south of Quick's, seemed like maybe another bar or 2.

Are they all gone? Last time I drank that stretch a Dottie who claimed to be an off duty cop threatened to frame me for possession of crack cocaine and I was rescued by a woman who entered the bar in overalls with no shirt on.

The Hitching Post is definitely still there. Miss Kitty's (now Double T's) was as well the last time I drove by there, though I almost want to say it has a new name now. (I'm probably wrong about that.) Kickstands turned into some sort of non-biker night club which probably failed, but I haven't been there in quite a long while. There's also an Eagles Club, I haven't tried sneaking into that particular one yet but it always seems busy. I was unaware of the speakeasy but that doesn't surprise me if there is one, that area had always seemed one bar short to me. :)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Anyone ever hit the Three G's Lounge on Troost & 57th? I used to deliver pizzas over there and was underage so I couldn't stay. It definitely looked like an interesting place.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

FangKC wrote:I found a new dive bar, and I wonder if anyone has ever been in here?

It's called Club Spotlight , and it's located on the SE corner of E. 12th and Jackson.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2842+PEE ... 3,,1,-1.57

That used to be the "Jackson Hole". It was the bad boy, rockabilly, backwoods counterpart to Genova's Chestnut Inn, back in the 50's and 60's. In those days, the Jackson Hole was a place where drug dealers, hard-core bikers and ex-cons were welcomed, when most other places they were not allowed.

The place has some hard earned patina.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

haven't been there, but this weekend i did check out AJ's Bar at Independence/Prospect for the first time. A new owner took over this year. Seems like a pretty cool spot, very laidback neighborhood vibe. also - crockpot of free nachos behind the bar. always a plus.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Club Spotlight is located by a bunch of metal scrap yards. I'll bet it does big business with the copper thieves.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

What about this place on Independence Avenue and Lawn. The Baccala strip club.

I'm surprised that the publisher of Northeast News doesn't rail on about this place.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2842+PEE ... 2,,0,-4.67
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

grovester wrote:I barely recall visiting the Clarette Club after an inebriated evening at Knuckleheads. There was an Hispanic band playing "Free Bird" while a Asian woman in silver gogo boots owned the dance floor. Certainly a Hunter Thompson moment, and I was very relieved when I woke up in my own bed the next morning.
Wow does that bring back memories. Back in the late 1970s, the Clarette Club was a private club that could stay open very late. Maybe it was supposed to close at 2 am, but my memory is they regularly locked the doors and stayed open past then. (All bars in Kansas had to be private clubs back then).

That was before KCMO bars could stay open past 1 am. So all the drunks from the Westport bars would drive over to the Clarette club at about 1:30 am. Place really rocked. Dangerous, ill advised, but hey kids have poor judgment.
Last edited by knucklehead on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

FangKC wrote:What about this place on Independence Avenue and Lawn. The Baccala strip club.

I'm surprised that the publisher of Northeast News doesn't rail on about this place.
The good 'ol Silver Slipper!