Nica's 320

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Nica's 320

Post by bobbyhawks »

It seems that they could do wonders to fix the menu by eliminating the 67 flavor combinations for "blaze and broil," and the 30 flavor choices for "mix-n-match."  If they replaced that with just around 5 to 10 things that they feel are the best of that ilk, they would still have a lot to choose from, including appetizers, salads, pizza, mac and cheese, sandwiches, and appetizers... but at least they would eliminate 97 choices from the menu.  And if they just advertise that they are willing to mix and match parts of other entrees, those who are so inclined can ask for something more specific.

And to be clear, I haven't eaten anything here I did not like (only been once).  So there is still a lot of promise.  I think they have the opposite problem of the Westside Local.  I love the Westside Local, but the menu changes very rarely (there are some items I wouldn't ever want them to change), and the under $15 sandwiches/entrees are only a handful.  All told, I think I'd rather Nica's have that problem than try to be everything at once.  I'm also glad that they are trying to be their own restaurant and not WSL, Reiger, etc. 2.0.  I feel bad criticizing them so early on, but reading their menu is a bit like the restaurant equivalent of a confused JOCO driver not finding parking near the P&L and deciding to go home instead.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

bobbyhawks wrote: I feel bad criticizing them so early on, but reading their menu is a bit like the restaurant equivalent of a confused JOCO driver not finding parking near the P&L and deciding to go home instead.
:lol:

I agree, it's a very poor website.  Too messy and I gave up reading all the mumbo jumbo.  I am a big fan of mac and cheese though so I can't wait to go check that out.  FTR, Pierpont's Lobster Mac and Cheese for lunch is the best I've ever had....although it's been several years so they may not have it.  But it had huge chunks of plump lobster, and the cheese sauce was perfect - not too thick, not too thin, not overly strong flavored.  It is/was amazing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

That menu is a mess! Probably so much so that I won't even try the place.  If I go to a nice restaurant I don't want to tell the chef what ingredients to put in my food.  He's the professional and his food should be his art.  If he was confident in his art, he wouldn't want me putting my own spin on it.  This place looks like a glorified Mixx or Noodle's and Co.  It's going to have a hard time fitting in with so many great options in the area. 
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Great work here supporting a new business in the Crossroads.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I'm excited that they plan to be open late. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kucer wrote: Great work here supporting a new business in the Crossroads.
:roll:
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Just to reiterate and not deter anyone from trying the place.  I really enjoyed the food.  The menu is annoying, but is a large confusing menu really worth dismissing what could be a delicious meal?

I dropped by this morning to bring some beignets to the office, and while I'm not a huge donut fan, I can't imagine ever wanting to buy donuts over the beignets at Nica's.  Everyone is raving about them.  They were made to order and were piping hot with a generous showering of powdered sugar.  Pretty phenominal if you ask me, and I'm not a sweets guy early in the morning.  If you are deterred by the menu, please just go in and pick up some beignets.  They will make you wonder what else they do well.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

In my opinion, the Crossroads is the pinnacle of food and entertainment locations in the city.  If you are going to come into the district, you have to be on the top of your game and this includes a first class concept.  A DIY Mac and Cheese place just doesn't catch my attention.  So, I will support the other first class restaurants in the district.  
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: In my opinion, the Crossroads is the penticle pinnacle of food and entertainment locations in the city.  If you are going to come into the district, you have to be on the top of your game and this includes a first class concept.  A DIY Mac and Cheese place just doesn't catch my attention.  So, I will support the other first class restaurants in the district. 
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

So beauty, to be clear...you have never eaten at Nica's?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

And it is not just a DIY mac-n-cheese restaurant to be clear.  As mentioned in the last many posts, they offer quite a bit more than just that.  Try before you talk smack.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

bobbyhawks wrote: And it is not just a DIY mac-n-cheese restaurant to be clear.  As mentioned in the last many posts, they offer quite a bit more than just that.  Try before you talk smack.
Is it better than the Rieger? Extra Virgin? Michael Smith? Westside Local? Pizza Bella? Grunauer? Westport Cafe? If you say it's better than any of those, I'll give it a shot.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If you're looking for the forum where everyone fellates every business that deigns to locate in the city, that's a different forum.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

You don't have to give them a glowing review based solely on their decision to located in the Crossroads, but it would be nice if people reserved judgement until they had actually tried the product.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That's what I'm doing. I was excited with their relocation based on their prior cred. Love their hours as well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Ok! Ok! You're right.  I'll try the place.  It will probably be my new favorite place because my expectations are so low. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

heatherkay wrote: You don't have to give them a glowing review based solely on their decision to located in the Crossroads, but it would be nice if people reserved judgement until they had actually tried the product.
I haven't judged the product. I've judged the menu and the web site, both of which I have seen.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

That's humming the scenery.  The product of a restaurant is not the menu or the website.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Right. And I haven't said word one about the product, so back off.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

Noticed they have Absinthe coctails.  Has anyone tried one there? Do they serve it using the traditional French method with the dripping ice water on a sugar cube?
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."