Dishes you can't find in KC

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dishes you can't find in KC

Post by KCMax »

What are some dishes you really enjoy that you can't find in KC, at least not a quality version of?

For me:

Banh mi - we've gone over this in a separate thread, but its sad how hard it is to find a good banh mi in KC, especially considering we have a decent Hmong community

Chicken kiev - I've never actually had it, but I'd like to try (I don't know, they had it on "Mad Men" once and they made it seem retro chic). I have no idea where I would find it in KC.

Pittsburgh-styled stuffed sandwiches - I love Primanti Brothers-style sandwiches with the cole slaw and fries stuffed inside, but I know of no one that serves such a dish

Pierogies - well supposedly there is that place in the River Market that continues to delay their opening, but in the meantime, does anyone else serve a good pierogi in KC?

What dishes are not being served in our market that you long to dine on?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Dishes you can't find in KC

Post by heatherkay »

According to the guys at work, Vietnam Cafe has a banh mi, but not on its menu.  You have to ask for it.  I can't vouch for its quality, but they all seem to love them, and a Vietnamese technician at work was the one who put them on to it.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I'd bet you can find all of these in KC if you knew were to look.  In terms of currently popular cuisines that are truly missing in KC, I'd say Afghan, Peruvian, and Bosnian.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: I'd bet you can find all of these in KC if you knew were to look. 
cosign.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Proper euro/middle-eastern doner kebab.  Even more specifically the anglo version: Kebab on chips with cheese and chili sauce. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dangerboy wrote: I'd bet you can find all of these in KC if you knew were to look.
Isn't that the point of his post? He doesn't know where to look, so he hasn't found it, so he is asking if it is missing.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

KCMax wrote:
Pierogies - well supposedly there is that place in the River Market that continues to delay their opening, but in the meantime, does anyone else serve a good pierogi in KC?
You can get Pieroguys Pierogies at a bunch of places locally even though they never opened their storefront in the City Market (which I am still annoyed about).

I've seen them at Cosentino's, Market3, and a bunch of other places.

http://pieroguys.com/where-to-buy-piero ... l#missouri
http://pieroguys.com/where-to-buy-pierogies.html#kansas
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Please enlighten me! I'm jonesing for a good stuffed sandwich!

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

shinatoo wrote: Isn't that the point of his post? He doesn't know where to look, so he hasn't found it, so he is asking if it is missing.
The topic was "Dishes you can't find in KC" not "Dishes you can't find in KC?"
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Please enlighten me! I'm jonesing for a good stuffed sandwich!
Are there Primanti Bros sandwiches anywhere else in the world?

Kim Long, Vietnam Cafe, and Happy Gillis all serve bahn mi sandwiches.

I'm guessing that because of that pierogi shop which distributes to a number of local bars/restaurants they're much more prolific here than say in Dallas or Denver.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Kim Long has banh mi, but they don't look all that great. Didn't appear capable of coming close to the seriously badass "Vietnamese hoagie" I had in Philly, but I dunno as I didn't get one. Chicken Kiev is an interesting dish to mention. I've never seen in a restaurant anywhere that I can recall, although I've seen its cousin cordon bleu now and then.

I was totally not impressed with Primanti Bros--it was OK but totally one of those where it's like, "Wow! You're on food network and they're saying how awesome your shit is! Then I get there and it's like... this is completely non-epic." I appreciate the concept of the stuffed sandwich, though. Also not aware of anywhere to get non-frozen pierogies in KC. Pity, too, because buying them frozen is just not the same. I was really hoping to see the Pieroguys retail store in RM churning them out like Piroshky Piroshky in Seattle, which was fracking tasty, but apparently they are incompetent restaurateurs.

As for what I want to see, I've probably said this a billion times, but for me the main thing I miss is Iskender kebap!

Other than that, I've never seen ayib (which is awesome with kitfo!) or gored gored on any African / Ethiopian menus in KC, although I still haven't made it to Marathon despite it being just down the street from me. They might have something.

Never seen chapulines in KC, although I have a hard time believing they'd sell well enough to bother with.

Sonoran hot dog! Hot dog wrapped in bacon with beans, mayo, pico, etc? Why don't we have these!? Was really hoping Dog Nuvo would put one on the menu, but alas. Speaking of hot dogs, I've been pining for some kind of KC version of Hot Doug's for years...

Wouldn't mind seeing a Cincy-style chili parlor, or even just see a five-way on someone's menu.

There may be somewhere to get a good beef on weck in KC, but I'm not aware of it. Or for that matter, a good Chicago-style Italian beef.

I used to pine for fried cheese curds, but blanc started frying up Shatto curds. Yay! They aren't quite as good as what I remember from WI, but they're decent.

Can't think of anything else right now, but I'm pretty sure I will.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: There may be somewhere to get a good beef on weck in KC, but I'm not aware of it.
i dont know if it's good, but swagger has (had?) this on their menu. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote:Are there Primanti Bros sandwiches anywhere else in the world?
Yeah, stuffed sandwiches are not just a Pitt thing. The most notable example I can think of outside Pittsburgh would be the grease trucks of Rutgers.
chrizow wrote:i dont know if it's good, but swagger has (had?) this on their menu. 
:shock:

INFORMED! I will investigate.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Doesn't Dixon's do 5 ways chili? I know that Steak n Shake does.

Sonoran hot dogs are a strange omission.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: Are there Primanti Bros sandwiches anywhere else in the world?
Yea, my favorite sandwich place in college in Ohio served a rip-off of Primanti brothers. It was fantastic. I think its a Rust Belt thing, I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Oh, and what about poutine? Is there anywhere in KC to get good poutine?

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Oh, and what about poutine? Is there anywhere in KC to get good poutine?
Fran's. Probably not good, but they serve it.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Omg I hate Cincy Chili...
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ChefColby wrote: Omg I hate Cincy Chili...
:lol:
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

trailerkid wrote: Fran's. Probably not good, but they serve it.
We've sold the real thing before. Had it on the brunch menu for fun once... People didn't get it. (as in understand it)

Sry Poutine
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I'm gonna go to the lounge at bluestem and demand Cincy-style chili.