port fonda

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: port fonda

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: Yeah, pity about the lack of booze. A cerveza with Mexican food is often delightful. Still, sounds like a solid concept. Can't wait to try it.
what's to stop one from brown bagging a tallboy of tecate whilst sampling port fonda's wares?  :)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Let me be the first to comment that Port Fonda is an AWESOME NAME. Well done.
moosnsqrl wrote: What color is the sky on the planet where you live, TK? :?
huh? do i know you?
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

trailerkid wrote: huh? do i know you?
no, that was just in reference to your pipe dream about the city providing push carts 8)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moosnsqrl wrote: no, that was just in reference to your pipe dream about the city providing push carts 8)
hey...it's a good idea. how much would it honestly cost the city to purchase 20 vintage food carts & lease them to locals? how much did the city spend on stuff for Bartle, P+L, KC Strip, 18th/Vine etc?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote:hey...it's a good idea. how much would it honestly cost the city to purchase 20 vintage food carts & lease them to locals? how much did the city spend on stuff for Bartle, P+L, KC Strip, 18th/Vine etc?
This would actually be a kind of public investment in private enterprises that wouldn't entirely make me want to punch the world in the face.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

just curious...does the local restaurant scene have any sort of lobby or official commission @ City Hall (i.e. "dining commission")? i would say restaurants (everything from BBQ to bluestem) are really such an integral part of the city's tourist economy. along with sports, museums, and concerts I would say cuisine is a major reason people come to this city. 
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

chrizow wrote: what's to stop one from brown bagging a tallboy of tecate whilst sampling port fonda's wares?   :)
by doing a private or catered event, the booze laws can be worked around.  that's the point of having to go through a licensed restaurant.  there will be beer, believe me.  plenty of beer.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Port Fonda sounds like a great idea.  I can't wait to try it out!
trailerkid wrote: hey...it's a good idea. how much would it honestly cost the city to purchase 20 vintage food carts & lease them to locals? how much did the city spend on stuff for Bartle, P+L, KC Strip, 18th/Vine etc?
Maybe someone could approach the Kauffman Foundation to collaborate with JCCC to encourage a project like this.  They could work with the city to make permitting and such easier for people in the program.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

what are vintage food carts?
you mean old travel trailers?
The city's role should be to allow food pods ala Portland, then get out of the way.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

bbqboy wrote: what are vintage food carts?
you mean old travel trailers?
The city's role should be to allow food pods ala Portland, then get out of the way.
but the city could do things to encourage start-ups just like they do with big businesses. financing would be a major obstacle stopping some folks from starting a business and if the city created city-backed program to loan a kitchen and trailers (similar to what fresher than fresh uses) KC could really create something totally special. this would be the food cart equivalent to the officeport kc project already open in the Xroads.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

Does anyone remember the dust-up between the young DiCapo and the street carts (unfair competition, unlevel playing field). Not that I buy into that - just wondering if you think that attitude has changed/improved/died down to the extent the city would consider helping to "incubate" food trucks at the peril of angering traditional restaurants.

They could use the $$ they've apparently decided to stop spending on ice/snow removal to fund it. :(
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

moosnsqrl wrote: Does anyone remember the dust-up between the young DiCapo and the street carts (unfair competition, unlevel playing field). Not that I buy into that - just wondering if you think that attitude has changed/improved/died down to the extent the city would consider helping to "incubate" food trucks at the peril of angering traditional restaurants.

They could use the $$ they've apparently decided to stop spending on ice/snow removal to fund it. :(
Right...i referenced Chili Shack earlier in this discussion.

Knowing that every street vendor needs to have a restaurant cosign their business...I think DiCapo's beef was just a case of sour grapes as that's a pretty "hoop-jumping" requirement that would stall a lot of start-ups. He easily could've had a mobile unit for his own shop to better compete with them if he really wanted to.
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

[quote="trailerkid"]
Let me be the first to comment that Port Fonda is an AWESOME NAME. Well done.

thanks, for those who do or don't know, port fonda was a suggested name for what is now called kansas city.  fonda, in spanish, translates loosely to "little restaurant". port fonda sounds a bit like (to me) portable fonda or portable little restaurant, which is exactly what we will be. 
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

trailerkid wrote: that is incredibly dumb.
No it's not.
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

had a look at the first round of graphics/logo/design last night.  a great start, looking forward to a very nice identity package.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

port fonda wrote: had a look at the first round of graphics/logo/design last night.  a great start, looking forward to a very nice identity package.
cool. who's doing it?
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

Lindsay laricks with graphics and design, hammerpress will be doing the printed goods.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Yo Port we need to talk.. I have been working this concept for about a year and half..got the location and the booze figured out..wait till you hear this. some of the forum peeps know whats happening and thanks for not letting it out.
P&L Free since 2008
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

elextendo wrote: Yo Port we need to talk.. I have been working this concept for about a year and half..got the location and the booze figured out..wait till you hear this. some of the forum peeps know whats happening and thanks for not letting it out.
Yikes. Not sure that's a good idea. An unholy alliance if ever there were one :twisted: 8-[
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Comon MOON.. this is going to be the coolest thing ever.
P&L Free since 2008