Firehouse (4518 Troost)

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Firehouse (4518 Troost)

Post by rxlexi »

I have always loved that firehouse.  If my memory serves me correctly, I remember the Scientific Panty lady (quite the nickname) bought the firehouse as well as the two large homes that face Gillham (they all share, more or less, a large back yard area) for some ridiculously cheap price.  I know she moved to StL, but have no idea what happened to her or the properties beyond that.

I'm actually not sure what part of Detroit I was talking about to UMKCroo, I was probably on some kind of rant as I go through periods of obsession with that city.  I feel like it may have been Royal Oak/Ferndale, actually, two small cities just across 8 Mile from Detroit proper that have bounced from run down inner ring, semi-urban burbs to hotspots in the last few years.  There's a pretty neat residential developer in that area, Eric Brown, that has been buying up relatively downtrodden, often mid-century apartment complexes and transforming them into artsy, affordable rental property under his "Urbane Apartments" brand.

I may have also been talking about Cass Corridor, as Warwick mentions, which has seemingly become a pretty vibrant area, especailly after the opening of the nearby Contemporary Art Detroit. I LOVE what I've seen of that museum and so badly want to see something similarly edgy - straight, empty old warehouse, graffiti facade, street art showcases - pop-up along Troost or in the Xroads.

Last edited by rxlexi on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
are we spinning free?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

rxlexi wrote: especailly after the opening of the nearby Contemporary Art Detroit. I LOVE what I've seen of that museum and so badly want to see something similarly edgy - straight, empty old warehouse, graffiti facade, street art showcases - pop-up along Troost or in the Xroads.

Elextendo are you out there?
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

rxlexi wrote:  
  I may have also been talking about Cass Corridor, as Warwick mentions, which has seemingly become a pretty vibrant area, especailly after the opening of the nearby Contemporary Art Detroit. I LOVE what I've seen of that museum and so badly want to see something similarly edgy - straight, empty old warehouse, graffiti facade, street art showcases - pop-up along Troost or in the Xroads.

That was it, sounds very interesting!
GO ROOs!!!!!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Looks like they'll be having another event tomorrow night - sounds like a good time!

Opening reception: November 13, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.

http://urbanculturestudioresidents.word ... -presents/
THE FIREHOUSE PRESENTS +

We cordially invite you to view the collective works of artists:

Reilly Hoffman
Kristopher Clark
Ian Morrison
Cameron Gee
Troy McEvers

Contemporary performance piece
by MIXED BLOOD WOMAN
www.mixedbloodwoman.com

* Reception will open with + selective delectables + aural pleasure + tasty morsels + visual opulence + more pleasantries yet to be unveiled *

{{{ the private collection will be viewable upon request in the privy vault }}}

DJ sets:

+ Matt Hill +

+ Tim Goodwillie +

+ Fire for Effect +
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

How are the subs?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ComandanteCero wrote: Looks like they'll be having another event tomorrow night - sounds like a good time!

Opening reception: November 13, 8 p.m.-1 a.m.

http://urbanculturestudioresidents.word ... -presents/
dang, anyone go to this?  we were out of town again and had to miss it. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

FYI - This Thursday (December 16) from 6-9 is the Gypsy Emporium art/craft/etc. market featuring local artists, food, hot cider, etc.  After 9 there will be a laidback, b.y.o.b gathering sure to induce holiday cheer, fellowship, and the like.

If that isn't enough to entice you to visit the historic Firehouse and increase your hipness quotient considerably, myself and voltopt will be spinning crackly old vinyl at the post-9pm afterparty.  Come down and say hello, eat holiday cookies, and admire/purchase local art!

The details:

Gypsy Emporium - 6-9pm (with fun after 9) - The Firehouse, 4518 Troost.

"6 long months have passed since our last Gypsy gathering so we thought a holiday show sounded nice. Please come join us on Thursday evening for some fresh tunes by the fireside, tasty baked goods, warm apple cider and the hippest local art around.

The Gypsy Emporium Sizzling Santa Sale at the Firehouse on Troost will feature these local artists (check back often as this list is going to grow)

*HARVEST OF PEACE--handmade skin car...e products infused with Young Living essential oils. 50% off last years fabric items!
*CALI ROBERTA--handmade fashionable art made with natural materials
*TIMELESS TREASURES by Kellen813--Hand stamped sterling silver jewelry and ?junk? jewelry
*RAVEN'S PERCHE FYNE WOOD-WORKING--boxes, doors, windows and more.
*CYNDI MINKER--Beautiful handmade jewelry
*North Corner Cupcakes-Beautiful and Delicious homemade sweet treats.
*Glazed Earth-OOAK pretty pottery. Every lady needs a great set of dishes. Make your unique!
*SkiDoodle-Uber cute wool felted owls and flowers.
*Trellis gourds-Hand painted gourds in fun holiday designs make a whimsical decoration or unique gift.
*Aptrickphoto-Fine Art Photography with a slightly geeky, unearthy quality. Perfect for the man on your list.
*Nichols and Dimes-Hand knitted headwraps, button rings, wine bottle lamps and crystal t-shirts--Welcome Christine a new Gypsy!
*Heather Moll-Another new Gypsy featuring handmade jewelry made from natural stones. Simple and elegant.
*Kat Schipper will be providing chair massage and showing off her healing skills.
*Mary Lynn Gress-Mary Lynn is our newest Gypsy bringing wire wrapped jewelry and gemstones to the Emporium.

Don't give the same old gifts this holiday season. Come find something unique and support your local community at the same time. Then stay for the after party complete with DJ and BYOB!"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/even ... 59&index=1

Last edited by chrizow on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Wow...BYOB afterwards? That's awesome.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bump:  tonight!  i'm dusting off the ol' mannheim steamroller and bing crosby records as we speak...

chrizow wrote: FYI - This Thursday (December 16) from 6-9 is the Gypsy Emporium art/craft/etc. market featuring local artists, food, hot cider, etc.  After 9 there will be a laidback, b.y.o.b gathering sure to induce holiday cheer, fellowship, and the like.

If that isn't enough to entice you to visit the historic Firehouse and increase your hipness quotient considerably, myself and voltopt will be spinning crackly old vinyl at the post-9pm afterparty.  Come down and say hello, eat holiday cookies, and admire/purchase local art!

The details:

Gypsy Emporium - 6-9pm (with fun after 9) - The Firehouse, 4518 Troost.

"6 long months have passed since our last Gypsy gathering so we thought a holiday show sounded nice. Please come join us on Thursday evening for some fresh tunes by the fireside, tasty baked goods, warm apple cider and the hippest local art around.

The Gypsy Emporium Sizzling Santa Sale at the Firehouse on Troost will feature these local artists (check back often as this list is going to grow)

*HARVEST OF PEACE--handmade skin car...e products infused with Young Living essential oils. 50% off last years fabric items!
*CALI ROBERTA--handmade fashionable art made with natural materials
*TIMELESS TREASURES by Kellen813--Hand stamped sterling silver jewelry and ?junk? jewelry
*RAVEN'S PERCHE FYNE WOOD-WORKING--boxes, doors, windows and more.
*CYNDI MINKER--Beautiful handmade jewelry
*North Corner Cupcakes-Beautiful and Delicious homemade sweet treats.
*Glazed Earth-OOAK pretty pottery. Every lady needs a great set of dishes. Make your unique!
*SkiDoodle-Uber cute wool felted owls and flowers.
*Trellis gourds-Hand painted gourds in fun holiday designs make a whimsical decoration or unique gift.
*Aptrickphoto-Fine Art Photography with a slightly geeky, unearthy quality. Perfect for the man on your list.
*Nichols and Dimes-Hand knitted headwraps, button rings, wine bottle lamps and crystal t-shirts--Welcome Christine a new Gypsy!
*Heather Moll-Another new Gypsy featuring handmade jewelry made from natural stones. Simple and elegant.
*Kat Schipper will be providing chair massage and showing off her healing skills.
*Mary Lynn Gress-Mary Lynn is our newest Gypsy bringing wire wrapped jewelry and gemstones to the Emporium.

Don't give the same old gifts this holiday season. Come find something unique and support your local community at the same time. Then stay for the after party complete with DJ and BYOB!"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/even ... 59&index=1

elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Did'nt realize this forum was for advertising
P&L Free since 2008
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

not "advertising" so much as inviting you fine folks to a free, byob party in a part of town that could use some life.  it's not like i'm trying to sell you timeshares in branson.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

elextendo wrote: Did'nt realize this forum was for advertising
ahem:
elextendo wrote: Grinders West now serves a Brunch Sat.and Sunday 10am-2 and if I say so myself excellent, Omelet Bar, and Bloody Mary bar..We did it cause we needed it !
elextendo wrote: Ask for the new Wimpy,Molten sauce or the new Near death, all are very flavorful and have a wonderful mango base.. We just started bottling these sauces for retail as well..enjoy
elextendo wrote: Grinders/STRETCH will be on Food Networks Guys Big Bite season premier Sunday 26th 10am..footage of KC
elextendo wrote: First Friday in the crossroads..museums..and of course GRINDERS  [in response to a query about where to take a 17 year old niece in town]
elextendo wrote: Heres a link from Bistro 113 about Grinders West
http://www.kcondemand.com/Video-COMM.as ... rsWest.flv
elextendo wrote: Grinders West is serving now..LIMITED MENUE while they figure out the computer system...After our next delivery of Dietz & Watson arrives we will have another soft opening..Then blow open the doors and will have a fancy NOW SERVING sign.. Were still working on the menue but everything I have tasted is very nice..Please bring your taste buds by for a soup or something..I think you all will enjoy this place..Its everything we discuss in the forums,food, bathrooms,cleanliness,service and design..thanks for your support..S
elextendo wrote: As always...thanks Beermo for the hint..Yes, Grinders does parties and I dont think we really charge for the use of our space unless its over a certain amount of people..We can cater the event and supply plenty of boooooze.. soon Grinders West will be available as well..Thanks for the opportunity to plug the place..
elextendo wrote: All good.. I think its worth the price.. I like the crowd..so I wander..VIP allows this also.. you dont have to stay in the area..but it is nice up there...Lets also put our crossed fingers together and hope for NO RAIN this week for Pat Green and P funk..
elextendo wrote: Just got the first  10 shows for the season more to come down the pike..Let me check and make sure I can release them..Ahh..here they are:Martin Sexton,Pat Green,George Clinton P-Funk,
Son Venezuela,Little Feat,Cross Canandian Rag weed,Cracker,Bodeans,George Thorogood and Buddy Guy,
Split Lip Rayfield and Chubby Carrier.I think its a good list for the start of the seasonWe will be adding throughout so get on the mailing list www.xrdskc.com
elextendo wrote: For those who care...good shows this week @ Grinders,
Tues night
Railroad Earth,The Samples and Hot Buttered Rum,
Joss Stone on Sat...
But the real news...Food Network will be shooting in Grinders Sunday, and Monday..come see George and get your mug on tv, We will also we wheeling out our new, CHILI BOMB..
elextendo wrote: Food Network will be shooting @ Grinders, this Sunday and Monday come on down..
elextendo wrote: Grinders stage structure is up...Pretty impressive If I say so myself.. and YES, you can drink and eat outside in the park 7 days a week..It took 149 days to get that back.. and keep upto date on the shows coming through..www.xrdskc.com..  Thanks
elextendo wrote: Well folks.. WE GOT OUR BUILDING PERMIT...Finally after 119 days..The new stage will be started on Sun. so ..come celebrate with the Wilders and Truck stop love Sat. nite..
elextendo wrote: The temp stage is in..Pomeroi plus 2 bands this week @ GRINDERS..FREE..FREE..FREE
:D
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Ironic given that there are a couple posters around here who can't seem to make a single post without accusing all us regulars of being a bunch of shameless Grinders' shills. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Stretch just got ethered.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

So maybe Chrizow can answer this question...who is behind this place and what is it's mission? I'm guessing it's just an alternative event space. There still seems to be no trace online about how to book it or what its purpose is.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

my understanding is that the building is for sale, and that the ideal garment folks moved on to st. louis.  they own the house behind the firehouse on harrison as well, and it is also for sale (basically you can buy the firehouse and the house on harrison for like $210,000!).

while the properties are on the market, they have a renter (or renters) in both properties.  the owners let one of the tenants host arts/music/etc event at the firehouse space, which she does every once in a while.  as you might expect, there is no real structure or purpose for the space other than the occasional art-kid happening.  that said, i suspect she would be open to ideas for events if someone had a good idea for the space. 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

chrizow wrote: my understanding is that the building is for sale, and that the ideal garment folks moved on to st. louis.  they own the house behind the firehouse on harrison as well, and it is also for sale (basically you can buy the firehouse and the house on harrison for like $210,000!).

while the properties are on the market, they have a renter (or renters) in both properties.  the owners let one of the tenants host arts/music/etc event at the firehouse space, which she does every once in a while.  as you might expect, there is no real structure or purpose for the space other than the occasional art-kid happening.  that said, i suspect she would be open to ideas for events if someone had a good idea for the space. 

I know the tenant you're speaking of as well, and when I recently saw her I asked the same question TK just did as to the mission/concept of Firehouse.  Her ethereal, semi-rambling tangent of a respose was both perplexing and intriguing enough to make me really want to check the place out.  Of course it seems that these random events are so spontaneous and unorganized that ending up at one of them might require more luck than anything else.  I'll stay tuned here for another "advertisement".  :D
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

You can be lucky and aware:

FIREHOUSE SHOW: 14 May: 10pm

Please join us for this unique occurrence shrouded in the mystery of our fate. Alter ego garb is encouraged as we will fill this breathtaking space with music, photo documentary and theatric habits.

Alrealon Musique Presents:

* Starum (Electro Noise Cacaphony) .moline

* Zilmrah (Spacescapes and Soundbending) .brooklyn

* Fluid (Industrial Dub) .chicago

* Breathing Flowers (Experimental) .kansas city

* Unicorns In The Snow (Experimental) .kansas city

$ five dollar donation
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Anybody attend?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Nope?  Well, try Wednesday, tomorrow night.  9pm, five acts.  Two from Nola.