Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

Post by moosnsqrl »

I've lamented the "loss" of Howard Hanna to the River Club for the last few years, missed Ryan Maybee's Manifesto since it's been closed, AND mourned the loss of a Crossroads restaurant since 1924 Main was shuttered.  I'm psyched that all 3 of those wrongs are being righted in one stroke, with the birth of the Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange.  They're currently hoping to have the restaurant open by early November and Manifesto will re-open as soon as the bureaucratic wheels churn out a liquor license.

I stopped by there about a month ago to chat with Howard about his plans.  I'm not very good at conceptualizing, so I just took a few pix of the "before" and stayed away for a while.  Somehow between his full time gig at the RC and Ryan Maybee's non-stop cocktail party, a surprising amount of work has been accomplished. [Pictures coming soon]

Gone are the glass block dividers that separated bar from restaurant; an actual wall separates the entryway from the window seating (riddling rack table).  A soffit has appeared over the open kitchen area, which really helps to define it and will eventually beckon diners to sit at the counter, making it a great choice for those dining solo.

The private dining area to the north of the main dining room is also getting a facelift. The retail-ish wine displays are gone and the plan is to have some large, communal dining tables and possibly live music there at times.  I really like the conviviality of dining with strangers in Europe and hope it will catch on here. It's not always my choice but I'd love having the option -- particularly on a spontaneous visit.

But enough about all of that -- the food will be the star of the show.  The menu isn't etched in stone yet but will offer something for everyone: soups, salads, a couple of classic sandwiches that aren't found often enough on KC menus (pan bagnat, and a Cuban), housemade lasagna, a flank steak, poussin (a young chicken) and a fish entree are likely. Not so ambitious that it over-reaches and all feasible within a fairly normal lunch hour.

I have high hopes for this place. Howard's cooking is always amazing; I love the building/location and you know the bar will be solid.  
Last edited by DaveKCMO on Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

Post by KCMax »

If you are copying this from somewhere, please cite it. Sounds cool though.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

KCMax wrote: If you are copying this from somewhere, please cite it. Sounds cool though.
I am the author. Too much business writing has left my work bereft of personality, I guess. :(
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

moosnsqrl wrote: I am the author. Too much business writing has left my work bereft of personality, I guess. :(
Sorry, it just seemed like it was cut and paste from an article. Carry on!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

KCMax wrote: Sorry, it just seemed like it was cut and paste from an article. Carry on!
You seem to be saying most of us aren't quite as accomplished wordsmiths? :lol:. I can vouch for M & S's food credentials.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Can't wait for this place to open.  1924/Manifesto was definitely my favorite spot in town, great drinks and Ryan and his staff are all cool people.  I've been looking forward to this for months.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

bbqboy wrote: You seem to be saying most of us aren't quite as accomplished wordsmiths? :lol:. I can vouch for M & S's food credentials.
Thanks - when I first read this (M&S) I thought of the upscale plaza seafood emporium, but then I realized you meant me.

Yes, I am just a tireless supporter of local restaurants and restaurateurs (and farmers, and food purveyors and, and, and).

And yeah, I'm just really excited about what I think is going to happen here.  And I wanted to share it. Funny, I had wanted it to be better and illustrated - I finally posted the down-graded version - just to get it out there - and Dave thought it was pilfered.  That is a rather sad indictment of the quality of posts :shock:

Totally off-topic - BBQBoye . . . heading your way next month. Looking to try someone else's local  8)
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think it looked copy/pasted because (on my browser at least) it had a lot of weird characters and stuff in it, like when you dump text from another source into SMF and it turns quotation marks into ampersands and crap.  a fine post!

i am very excited for this place.  i feel like perhaps the KC food scene is growing again since the recession hit.  rieger hotel, westport cafe, beer kitchen, FUD, etc.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

chrizow wrote: i think it looked copy/pasted because (on my browser at least) it had a lot of weird characters and stuff in it, like when you dump text from another source into SMF and it turns quotation marks into ampersands and crap.  a fine post!
Hmm. I work variously in IE, Firefox and Safari and didn't see any weird characters. What the heck are you browsing in, Chriz?  :?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

moosnsqrl wrote: Hmm. I work variously in IE, Firefox and Safari and didn't see any weird characters. What the heck are you browsing in, Chriz?  :?
i use a browser projected by my mind.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I saw all the weird characters both on Chrome and when I went to floor 7 1/2 to observe through chrizow's mind-browser.  Looks like Dave cleaned them up now though.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

phuqueue wrote:Looks like Dave cleaned them up now though.
you're welcome!
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

DaveKCMO wrote: you're welcome!
Thanks, Dave. I'll send out a secret decoder with the next volley.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I thought you had a Tourette-like syndrom where every 6th word you typed was an expletive.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

grovester wrote: I thought you had a Tourette-like syndrom where every 6th word you typed was an expletive.
Raingirl? :D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I wonder if anything needs to be done at Manifesto other than dusting everything off, stocking the bar and opening the door?

I imagine that they just packed everything up and left when they closed. No idea if that was the case, of course, but it seems probable.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

Pretty much just dusting off the cob webs, Ryan said. They intend to re-open Manifesto as soon as ink is dry on the liquor license.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I would think a few cob webs and a little dust would add to speakeasty authenticity. 
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

One of the things to like about The Rieger is its history (and its storied past, but that's another topic). I believe Howard and Ryan intend to revive a former Rieger Monogram Whiskey sign that was painted on the south side of the building.

Talking about it made me curious so I did a little digging and apparently Rieger was part of a large "family" of Monogram liquor distributors.  They sold mail order whiskey pre-Prohibition.  Funny considering how difficult it still is to get wine shipped to the Kansas side today.

I really like the look of outdoor murals/signage and hope they're able to accomplish this.