Free State hitting KC

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Free State hitting KC

Post by nilsson1941 »

How does everybody feel about this?

My Opinion: You can never have enough locally crafted beers

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2010/02/ ... to_kan.php
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Free State hitting KC

Post by KCMax »

I am a fan, particularly of Ad astra ale. Good news.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I wish they could open up a restaurant over this way.  I would think they would be an ideal tennant for the new developments along Rainbow.  They would make a killing and that would certainly jumpstart what KCK is hoping to achieve there. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I wish they could open up a restaurant over this way.  I would think they would be an ideal tennant for the new developments along Rainbow. 
or Tizer's.  i cannot think of a more appropriate tenant for that space.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: or Tizer's.  i cannot think of a more appropriate tenant for that space.
The entire theme of the place and its products completely collapses the second they cross state lines - thus I rather like the Rosedale solution - convenient to midtown and the rest of the central city yet maintaining their brand integrity.  :D
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The entire theme of the place and its products completely collapses the second they cross state lines - thus I rather like the Rosedale solution - convenient to midtown and the rest of the central city yet maintaining their brand integrity.   :D
ha, yeah, but i figure if they're selling the beer in KCMO they might as well be in KCMO. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

They have had Free State on tap at Jaywalkers in Rosedale.  I've also noticed a sign for the Manhattan Lounge off the Mission Theater (which I guess is somehow distinct from the Mission Theater Lounge?  I don't know)  Anyway, they've had Free State signs up for several weeks.  Haven't made it in to check it out.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

AJoD wrote: They have had Free State on tap at Jaywalkers in Rosedale.  I've also noticed a sign for the Manhattan Lounge off the Mission Theater (which I guess is somehow distinct from the Mission Theater Lounge?  I don't know)  Anyway, they've had Free State signs up for several weeks.  Haven't made it in to check it out.
Yeah its been on tap out at the beer bar at the legends for some time as well.  But Jaywalkers may soon be headed for the wrecking ball. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The entire theme of the place and its products completely collapses the second they cross state lines - thus I rather like the Rosedale solution - convenient to midtown and the rest of the central city yet maintaining their brand integrity.   :D
Is the same true for Johnny's in the P&L?

Although Rosedale could use the help - its not like KU Medical has been a good neighbor to the built environment in this area.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

voltopt wrote: Is the same true for Johnny's in the P&L?
Nah - not sure that they have had much brand integrity in the first place and while Johhny's has a lot of history, their theme isn't built around resistance to slavery and confederate MO. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Ah, the theme.  I suppose that makes sense.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Pendergast
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Pendergast »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Nah - not sure that they have had much brand integrity in the first place and while Johhny's has a lot of history, their theme isn't built around resistance to slavery and confederate MO. 
They can bring their Oatmeal Stout to Missouri anytime they want.  But yeah, Rainbow would be perfect.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Oh my god Free State on Rainbow would be spectacular.  Or, even better, how cool would it be if they went in somewhere over on Strawberry Hill or something?!  That neighborhood would bounce back so fast on the strength of good beer and Kansas pride... :D
are we spinning free?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

going to school at KU and visiting Lawrence fairly often today, i never considered Free State to be a "themed" restaurant or bar.

and FYI, Flying Saucer will have 3 tap handles of Free State very soon! I believe it's going to be Ad Astra, Copperhead, and a rotator.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Oatmeal Stout without going to Lawrence?  Awesome.  However, I will still go to Lawrence for Free State's artichoke spread, unless they start bottling that to sell here, too.
kimchi
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kimchi »

I'm pretty sure The Westside Local will carry Copperhead on tap (at the very least).  Maybe Stout for my personal favorite: blacksnake (1/2copperhead 1/2stout)?

I would abandon hope of there being a Free State restaurant in Kansas City. Just my personal opinion, but I do not see Chuck expanding to Kansas City in the near (or far) future.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

ColumbusParkian wrote: going to school at KU and visiting Lawrence fairly often today, i never considered Free State to be a "themed" restaurant or bar.

and FYI, Flying Saucer will have 3 tap handles of Free State very soon! I believe it's going to be Ad Astra, Copperhead, and a rotator.
The name of the bar relates to the fact that Kansas entered the union as a "free state" rather than a slave state. There is a huge mural of abolitionist John Brown on the wall. Many of their beers are named after people or events relating to abolitionism or Kansas history. It is very much a theme restaurant, its just executed much better and less tacky than say T-Rex Cafe.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

oh is THAT where the name Free State came from? Thanks.

A restaurant having a name that honors something is not the same as a "theme restaurant". They've made probably a hundred different beers over the years, and maybe half a dozen have themed names. I guarantee you that anybody associated w/ Free State is more concerned with creating quality food and beer than perpetuating a theme. Their #1 selling shirt has a quote from a monk about beer. Their sign has a goat on it. Neither of these have anything to do w/ slavery, rather they have to do with great beer.

not a theme restaurant.