TK trashes your hangouts!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: TK trashes your hangouts!

Post by beautyfromashes »

You couldn't find a better column in the Star or Pitch.  'TK trashes your bar' is a hit! 4 stars.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

He is already 100x better than hearne.  Tk you need a blog.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

How proud is he to tell his friends: "man..that place is way too mainstream. I go to these dives that no-one's ever heard of."
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote: This is awesome...do more, do more.  Tk is turning into the funny version of maitrd.
Agreed. Major thumbs up to the first installment.  :cheers:
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

supastudio wrote: That's confusing me. That sounds like Overland Park has suburbs of its own... Isn't Overland Park a suburb of Kansas City? I didn't know that suburbs have their own mini burbs  :D 
Yeah, it's basic cross-geographic gestation.  Mate OP with Baldwin and you get Lawrence. 
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Funkytown. Trash now please.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

LindseyLohan wrote: Funkytown. Trash now please.
Watch - Funkytown will be the one bar TK loves in KC.  :lol:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: this has been the most common sentiment here - "not my style, but bully for them."  sure, there are a few barbs at "striped shirts" or "sorostitutes" or whatever here and there, but you see the same kind of stereotype-based banter about everywhere.  

i do think places that try to come off as "Ultra" and "VIP" and "exclusive" are basically asking for the ire of the masses, as are their patrons.  the entire idea behind this sort of thing is "i'm attractive and am wealthy (or like to pretend i am attractive and wealthy), and like to hang out with like-minded folks in an exclusive environment - i.e. an environment that excludes those not like me."  i'm not saying all patrons of these places actually think this way, but i bet a lot do.  not only is this attitude laughable on its own, but it's particularly laughable in a place like KC.  

i've stayed out of this recently for the most part, but i disagree that "jealousy" has much to do with it for most of us.  i am not jealous whatsoever of people paying $15 to drink expensive drinks next to a swimming pool downtown.  once again, i am glad it exists for those who like it, but you could not pay me to go there.  i also wish more interesting places would open that try to cater to a crowd other than the "Ultra" set or the lowest common denominator "bar-goer" set.  last night there was a place in detroit on "no reservations" that was a combination bar, music venue, restaurant, and "feather-bowling" venue.  KC needs some more new places with a more interesting angle.  there are more non-Ultra people downtown and around midtown than Ultra, i can guarantee that.  
westside local is now open. interesting angle. downtown. brand new. there are also 200 dive bars/restaurants within a few miles of downtown with angles that will make your head explode.  

there aren't THAT many people in this region set to open upscale, fake Portland spots like you probably want. personally, i think there are a lot of unique, local places in urban kc which i know surprises a lot of outsiders (and insiders for that matter). it would help if there was some sort of dense, streetfront concentration of our "local flavor" along troost, 31st, 12th, ind ave, main, broadway, 63rd, etc. to really showcase our creative small business owners; but that would require some sort of long-term planning by the city. my point is there is a good amount of hipness as well as weirdness happening all over kcmo. how many exclusive lounges are there in kc, really? not many. cordish is just not going to go after the davey's demographics. they just won't.

all the talk about jones pool is much ado about nothing. is the patron conduct after shows at grinder's perfect? has anyone ever vomited or urinated around the surrounding neighborhood? how about the uptown theatre or america's pub in westport?  

you're in a fucking city. all kinds of different things going on. deal with it.
Last edited by trailerkid on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: westside local is now open. interesting angle. downtown. brand new.
agreed.  it's maybe the one place that has opened downtown recently that i enjoy. 
trailerkid wrote: there aren't THAT many people in this region set to open upscale, fake Portland spots like you probably want.
?  why do you think i want this? 

legit question:  tk, what bars and restaurants do you like to go to in KC?  we're well aware of the ones you don't like.
trailerkid wrote: all the talk about jones pool is much ado about nothing. is the patron conduct after shows at grinder's perfect? has anyone ever vomited or urinated around the surrounding neighborhood? how about the uptown theatre or america's pub in westport?  
agreed.  jones pool is what it is, and it's adding something to downtown.  something i dont really care for, sure, but that's true of other places around town as well. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

chrizow wrote: legit question:  tk, what bars and restaurants do you like to go to in KC?  we're well aware of the ones you don't like.
I'm pretty sure this is TrailerKid's Yelp profile.  Check out what he likes...(err mostly hates.)

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid ... MLcfmc8oiQ
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

what does "upscale fake Portland places" mean? Examples?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Midtownkid wrote: I'm pretty sure this is TrailerKid's Yelp profile.  Check out what he likes...(err mostly hates.)

Haha, good work.  Literary genius right there.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I like his review of First Fridays.  (and by 'like' I mean 'find it funny that someone can find negative things to hate about everything')  While the other 5 reviews are 5 star, of course TKs is two:

First Fridays is about art? Really? Skanky dresses and hooker heels? Strollers and "tourists" from the suburbs gawking? Rich, old, white people in slacks? Art? I find First Fridays obnoxious and lacking any overall substance other than an annoying, roving, street party. Wasn't this event supposed to be about seeing art? Further, do I really want to elbow my way into a warehouse to view a mediocre, ceramic, cat plate? I can go to the Nelson and stand in front of a Giacometti for hours with no one around.

I will admit there is some mighty fine, cringeworthy people-watching to be had at this event-- a parallel universe, lame, hipster mall. Unfortunately, there are no parks or benches in the Crossroads to watch the spectacle.

wouldn't tourist from the suburbs (or Lawrence) include this guy, too?   ](*,)
Last edited by Midtownkid on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

My Bars (From North to South)

Harry's Country Club
Flying Saucer
JP Winebar
La Bodega
Westside Local
Velvet Dog
The Drop
Foundry
Harry's Bar and Tables
Firefly
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Flying Saucer is especially dumb!  :P  &&&
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Midtownkid wrote: Flying Saucer is especially dumb!   :P  &&&
Why so any beers when you can only drink one?  :lol:
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midtownkid wrote: I'm pretty sure this is TrailerKid's Yelp profile.  Check out what he likes...(err mostly hates.)

I'm not a total KC homer like you that's willing to brag about shit that is overall pretty average. It's quite transparent.

And First Fridays are completely horrible. Those people don't give two fucks about Jaimie Warren photographs. Get real.

Honestly, I'm not trying to craft myself as some sophisticate. I'm just really weird. You're normal. You win.
chrizow wrote: agreed.  it's maybe the one place that has opened downtown recently that i enjoy.  

?  why do you think i want this?  

legit question:  tk, what bars and restaurants do you like to go to in KC?  we're well aware of the ones you don't like.

agreed.  jones pool is what it is, and it's adding something to downtown.  something i dont really care for, sure, but that's true of other places around town as well.  
Places like Happy Gillis, Westside Local, blanc, Fresher Than Fresh, bon bon atelier are what I mean by fake Portland. Hip, yuppie places. I'm not really "dissing" that kind of stuff, but I think it's the main goal and seen as a direct opposition to a business like Jones Pool.

I like the Cigar Box and Bobby Bakers for what they represent about Kansas City, but I try not to drink anymore as I'm often the one covered in my own vomit on the sidewalk.
Last edited by trailerkid on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Did Stretch steal your girlfriend or something?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

trailerkid wrote: I'm not a total KC homer like you that's willing to brag about shit that is overall pretty average. It's quite transparent.
Or I just see the positive aspects of people/places and dwell on that while you seems to dwell on every little thing that annoys you because you think something is trying to be something else.  It's just two different ways to see the world.  I'm pretty sure I know which way leaves you a happier person.

btw, what's 'transparent' about liking places and giving them good reviews?

Not going to argue with you about first fridays.  I don't see how you can judge everyone there as unsophisticated or lame (and I don't think they are) but it's a great event with some pretty interesting art.  Your complaints seemed to have centered around the fact that dressed up women, old people, and families with strollers can be seen around there...but couldn't that be said about an art museum or most other KC attractions.  But I know, with you a place isn't cool unless it has people who conform to your idea of what's acceptable/cool.  Any way you look at it, first firdays are something happening downtown that is not at the P+L and caters to all different generations and tastes.  But I guess those kinds of things are terrible.
Last edited by Midtownkid on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: Did Stretch steal your girlfriend or something?
one guy fieri is enough for America.