River Dogs-1010 east 1st

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
sticks
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: River Dogs-1010 east 1st

Post by sticks »

There are still other options if you want to venture into this area.... Tommy Boys, Rivers Edge, and Knuckleheads are some fine dining establishments not too far from where river dogs was.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

sticks wrote: There are still other options if you want to venture into this area.... Tommy Boys, Rivers Edge, and Knuckleheads are some fine dining establishments not too far from where river dogs was.
Where are Tommy Boys and Rivers Edge?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Rivers Edge is at Gardner & Agnes.  Half diner, half bar.

I'm not familiar with Tommy Boys.
sticks
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sticks »

scooterj wrote: Rivers Edge is at Gardner & Agnes.  Half diner, half bar.

I'm not familiar with Tommy Boys.
Tommy Boys is at the SE corner of Nicholson and Chestnut. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

sticks wrote: Tommy Boys is at the SE corner of Nicholson and Chestnut. 
Would that be the old Town Topic?
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

loftguy wrote: Would that be the old Town Topic?
Yup.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

And I thought it was just a turn of phrase when they said this area is where you find the bodies:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking ... 38641.html
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

Oh, I hope it wasn't the guy who lived in the shanty by River Dogs - he always seemed like a nice guy.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

By the way, there is a new hot dog place in NKC on Armour, across the street from CVS.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

KCLofts wrote: By the way, there is a new hot dog place in NKC on Armour, across the street from CVS.
named?
VELO DOOM
Pad site
Pad site

Post by VELO DOOM »

bbqboy wrote: named?
Hot Dog Haven I believe
great men live dangerously, small men don't take chances.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

VELO DOOM wrote: Hot Dog Haven I believe
If it were really a haven for hot dogs, they would prevent you from eating them. I'm guessing this isn't the case.

Interesting choice of name.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Drove by the place earlier today. Its in half of the old Bill Bill Allen Allen showroom on Armour just west of the Dollar General. Didn't have time to stop otherwise I'd have stopped in. Looked clean enough. There actually was a hot dog wagon outside the door - I found that interesting. Will try and stop in this week to check the fare.

Gotta say though - its in somewhat of a cursed location. That Scooter store was in there for a bit and there was a coffe joint in there before that. Hope they make it.

Sportster
...'nother hot dog stand - gotta love it
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Yeah, they had a stand open in the parking lot this summer and finally moved into the fixed space, though I haven't been since they moved in.

http://lthforum.com/kc/viewtopic.php?p=562#p562
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

That is too funny  :lol:
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Geez - Meesha sure creates a hard act to follow - but I'll give it a run. Mine's not nearly as...erotic though.

Granted, the premise is a little different, meals cooked on a cart and eaten inside but we thought it was worth the trip.
The space is on Armour Road in North Kansas City, just off Burlington. It utilizes half of the old Bill Bill Allen Allen Chevrolet showroom, complete with the original terrazzo marble floor still intact. You could imagine what that might look like all waxed up with a 69 Caprice sittin on it...suhweeet!
But I digress...
My wife both agreed, we'd eat em again.  She had the Kraut dog and I opted for the Chicago w/ extra onions.
Both were prepared outside in the 9 degree temps but were piping hot when delivered to our table. Both dogs were served in a poppy seed bun and the toppings were literally heaped on top, then wrapped in foil. First bite no disappointments. Both were tasty and messy, very messy. The spicy mustard was actually spicy and the bright green relish was bursting with flavor.  Bun choice, much like crust on a pizza, can make or break the meal. The bun was both soft and provided a good accent for the dog that was nestled, or should I say smothered beneath. Which brings us to the meat of the matter. The dog. If there's one thing John Bruno (owner of the former and much celebrated River Dogs) has over Hot Dog Haven, it was the dog. River Dogs, according to Mr. Bruno, contracted with Fritz?s Smoked Meats for their Hot Dogs, thereby creating an almost custom taste. "It wasn't River Dogs" was my wife's comment, noting the slight difference in flavor of the dog itself. (as well as the ambiance) According to her, and I agree.  Everything else was spot on.
There's even an interesting choice of chips over the standard Frito-Lay varieties. A must are the Vitner's Potato Chips flavored with Louisiana Hot Sauce. They offer a perfect, mildly heated compliment to the meal.
We were out the door for under $10 for two fully dressed dogs, two beverages and two bags of the hot sauce chips. We'll be checking out other tasty options on return trips to be sure.
Overall, I'd give it four out of five woofs on the Bunny the Newshound scale of excellence.

Sportster
...a lil slice of hot dog heaven
Last edited by Sportster on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Hit it up today for lunch. Chicago was excellent.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

If it was opened on Weekends and had Indoor Seating then it could have stayed in business. Theirs like McDonalds and so on around the area.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mgsports wrote: If was opened on Weekends and had Indoor Seating then it could have stayed in business.
Because god knows there are loads of paying customer's walking around those parts looking for food on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.  &&&&&&