YJ's Snack Bar

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: YJ's Snack Bar

Post by elextendo »

Becco does not have the cube..been gone for about a 1 1/2 years I think..interesting antiques in there plus the flowers..I highly recommend the place if you need them.. I used to rent @ 19th and Wyandotte my first studio 5000 sq. ft for 600 bucks a month..The block was vacant it was a wasteland when YJs was YJs pre Dave Ford, no condos in the area at all..alot has happened  since then so overall it appears thats it gentrification.
P&L Free since 2008
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Sad that the cube is gone.  I really liked that place.
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

I've been there only a handful of times, but I've never felt as if I was being looked down upon or judged by the other people there.  The last time I was there, it was a post happy hour pit stop, so everyone was business casual and my husband was wearing a tie.  No one stared, snorted, or made comments about us being there, regardless of how we were dressed. 
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

From Facebook (gah):

" The city of Kansas City, Missouri has eliminated one-third of YJ's tables, limited the use of the sidewalk, and has eliminated all out door seating from 1am to 5am. This will result in loss of jobs at YJ's Snack Bar's small, local business. Join this facebook group to support YJ's and it's employees. Call the city mayor Sly James to confront the job losses they are imposing. 816-513-3500 or email mayor@kcmo.org ."

Amazing. You'd think the city would be grateful to have anything thriving downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

drumatix wrote: From Facebook (gah):

" The city of Kansas City, Missouri has eliminated one-third of YJ's tables, limited the use of the sidewalk, and has eliminated all out door seating from 1am to 5am. This will result in loss of jobs at YJ's Snack Bar's small, local business. Join this facebook group to support YJ's and it's employees. Call the city mayor Sly James to confront the job losses they are imposing. 816-513-3500 or email mayor@kcmo.org ."

Amazing. You'd think the city would be grateful to have anything thriving downtown.
That sucks if they have had to remove some of their tables. I don't see the problem with limiting outside usage from 1-5am though. People gotta sleep.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

smh wrote: That sucks if they have had to remove some of their tables. I don't see the problem with limiting outside usage from 1-5am though. People gotta sleep.
Ah -- noise was the problem? I'd seen people hinting at parking issues as related to the number of tables present, which shouldn't be an issue for any small business in a downtown area, ever.

Weren't there noise complaints about the Folger's plant from people who moved in right next door? Seems sadly stereotypical to see people move to a vibrant, urban area, and then complain when it's a little too 'vibrant' and 'urban' at night :D
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

drumatix wrote: Ah -- noise was the problem? I'd seen people hinting at parking issues as related to the number of tables present, which shouldn't be an issue for any small business in a downtown area, ever.

Weren't there noise complaints about the Folger's plant from people who moved in right next door? Seems sadly stereotypical to see people move to a vibrant, urban area, and then complain when it's a little too 'vibrant' and 'urban' at night :D
Honestly, downtown doesn't even seem that loud right now. I'll often leave my windows open in the summer at night.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

two sides to every story. also, the city has been trying to contact the owner to remedy their concerns.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

anyone who complains about the "noise" coming from a 12-seat cafe three nights a week should not live downtown - or, at least, should not live on one of maybe 2-3 blocks in the crossroads where a business is actually open late.  perhaps one of the forty completely dead blocks in the crossroads would be a preferable home for these folks?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Issue is currently being resolved. 
Sly James, Rick Usher and a security detail visited the Snack Bar today and met with owner David Ford.  James and Ford hugged at the conclusion and Ford posted:

2:41' sly rolls up on the snack bar with assistant city man Rick usher and assistant John tailed by two security profiles in fly pinstriped suits,, these guys were bad, 3:08 sly and David ford hug, it was 92' degreees, Chad meise was inside covering me. I love our town and 18th st. Yj s no problem.

Good arts/civic forum developing in the meantime:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 6230694355
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I can totally see Funkhouser doing that. &&&
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: anyone who complains about the "noise" coming from a 12-seat cafe three nights a week should not live downtown - or, at least, should not live on one of maybe 2-3 blocks in the crossroads where a business is actually open late.  perhaps one of the forty completely dead blocks in the crossroads would be a preferable home for these folks?
per the city manager's office, there was no noise complaint. no doubt a faulty assumption repeated ad nauseum on facebook. it was a routine inspection months ago that triggered the initial request for YJ's to obtain a sidewalk cafe license. again, according to the city manager's office YJ's had no such license.

if people are looking to go after "the man", they need to address the requirement to have such a license in the first place. you can blame the beloved mayor/council of 2003 for instituting such a scheme. the mayor/council of 2011 may be open to eliminating it, especially if no alcohol is being served.
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

The mayor/council of 2003 passed a sidewalk cafe ordinance because business owners were getting busted for "illegal" sidewalk cafes, most notably the Cup and Saucer on Delaware. As was suggested in another post, the City Council should instead be motivated to make sidewalk cafes legal, with no annual fees.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i haven't walked by yj's recently but my impression has been that their outdoor seating tends to take up much of the sidewalk.  ada requires 30 inches minimum for wheelchair passage.  and even if there were no ada, i'd want at least half of the sidewalk (or maybe five feet, whichever is less) available for we folks who want to walk past.

on the positive side, they haven't put up a permanent barrier as has been done at the cashew, zinn, reiger's, and several other downtown locations. 

i strongly favor outdoor seating, but we have to balance the interests of the business and its customers with those of people who just want to walk past.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

enough wrote: i haven't walked by yj's recently but my impression has been that their outdoor seating tends to take up much of the sidewalk.  ada requires 30 inches minimum for wheelchair passage.  and even if there were no ada, i'd want at least half of the sidewalk (or maybe five feet, whichever is less) available for we folks who want to walk past.

on the positive side, they haven't put up a permanent barrier as has been done at the cashew, zinn, reiger's, and several other downtown locations. 

i strongly favor outdoor seating, but we have to balance the interests of the business and its customers with those of people who just want to walk past.
This is true. It is one of the best pro-urban-vitality spots in the neighborhood, but you can scarcely walk through it. When I run down 18th, I am in the street. Still, I think the two can co-exist. If a wheelchair is coming through, I would imagine patrons would clear out of the way. It isn't fine dining.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

staubio wrote: If a wheelchair is coming through, I would imagine patrons would clear out of the way. It isn't fine dining.
exactly.  persons dining in more upscale establishments would just laugh and point at the wheelchair-bound individual, and possibly poke him/her with their caviar spoons! 
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

DaveKCMO wrote: per the city manager's office, there was no noise complaint. no doubt a faulty assumption repeated ad nauseum on facebook. it was a routine inspection months ago that triggered the initial request for YJ's to obtain a sidewalk cafe license. again, according to the city manager's office YJ's had no such license.

if people are looking to go after "the man", they need to address the requirement to have such a license in the first place. you can blame the beloved mayor/council of 2003 for instituting such a scheme. the mayor/council of 2011 may be open to eliminating it, especially if no alcohol is being served.
Pretty good point.  If I own a restaurant that has a license and is in compliance I get a little peeved when i see YJs gets the same thing by whining. 
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Thaine wrote: Pretty good point.  If I own a restaurant that has a license and is in compliance I get a little peeved when i see YJs gets the same thing by whining. 
That is precisely the problem. Many business owners just do as they are told and accept the status quo. Put a fence around my outdoor seating? OK!

It is people like DF who shake shit up and make things happen.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

enough wrote: i haven't walked by yj's recently but my impression has been that their outdoor seating tends to take up much of the sidewalk. 
*cough cough* Tannin *cough*