New AMC "test concept" Theaters in Olathe.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
ramseym_com
Pad site
Pad site

New AMC "test concept" Theaters in Olathe.

Post by ramseym_com »

A bunch of local bloggers were invited to the AMC 30 theater here in Kansas City.  Essentially, AMC’s social media representative coordinated with local bloggers to come to this preview of the theaters before they open later this week.  Obviously with the intentions that us bloggers would create content and spread it through the intranetz like some rabid virus.

Mission accomplished.

Confession; I hardly go to the movies anymore.  I really don’t.  Last movie I saw was Batman: The Dark Knight.  I know, pathetic eh?  I just don’t have the desire to go as much as I used to.  That being said, I was pretty impressed with what AMC is trying to do.  It’s definitely more of an argument to go to the theaters.

So these test theaters AMC created are essentially a “food and movie” experience.  The seats are big.  They serve beer. There’s tables to put your food and drink — and service comes right to your seat to deliver anything you’d like.  And it’s real food too (pizza, burgers, etc).  There’s two types of theaters they’ve got — the “big dog” is the Cinema Suites (this is the one you want to go to).  Here you get a huge recliner swivel tables and personal lighting.  Enough of me talking about it… check out the pics I posted to my flickr account and my YouTube video blog below!

--
http://www.ramseymohsen.com
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New AMC "test concept" Theaters in Olathe.

Post by KCMax »

Looks very sharp, thanks for posting.

I went to the Warren Theater in Wichita which is a similar concept. I guess I'm not blown away by having frozen pizza warmed up and delivered to me while I'm watching a movie. And frankly, if I'm going to go out, I'd rather have a conversation over dinner, not stare up at a large TV. Perhaps this would be useful if you had kids (although that doesn't seem to be what they're shooting for) and I would certainly enjoy it if they had a good beer selection.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If they had really good food (i.e., not frozen pizza; more like high end snacks) and a nice selection of beer, that would be pretty sweet. However, I can only imagine--and cringe at--the kind of markup we'd see given that AMC sells $0.10 worth of popcorn in a $0.05 container for $12.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: If they had really good food (i.e., not frozen pizza; more like high end snacks) and a nice selection of beer, that would be pretty sweet. However, I can only imagine--and cringe at--the kind of markup we'd see given that AMC sells $0.10 worth of popcorn in a $0.05 container for $12.
the armour screenland has some pretty decent food - at reasonable prices. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think the theater people all realize that they are really up against a wall competition-wise with people's own home theaters.  For everyday movie watching, it is a hell of a lot handier and more comfortable to get it at home and watch it on your own screen, at your own liesure, with your own snacks.  If they are going to get people to the theater in the future , it needs to be played up as more of a night out/date type event.  Hence the addition of bars, restaurants, VIP table service, etc.  

If the theater experience continues to just be about showing up and sitting to watch - people will do that at home.  They have to make it a more interesting reason to leave the house.  
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

How long before we see bottle service with $300 bottles of vodka?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: How long before we see bottle service with $300 bottles of vodka?
I would be shocked if it hasn't already been tried some place like NY. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

here is a dining/movie concept i can rally behind:  http://www.foreigncinema.com/home.html

i will be there on wednesday.  should be awesome.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote: the armour screenland has some pretty decent food - at reasonable prices. 
Yep.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCMax wrote: Looks very sharp, thanks for posting.

I went to the Warren Theater in Wichita which is a similar concept. I guess I'm not blown away by having frozen pizza warmed up and delivered to me while I'm watching a movie. And frankly, if I'm going to go out, I'd rather have a conversation over dinner, not stare up at a large TV. Perhaps this would be useful if you had kids (although that doesn't seem to be what they're shooting for) and I would certainly enjoy it if they had a good beer selection.
I believe AMC is doing a true restaurant concept within the theaters...full kitchen. As the blog video showed, the bar looks like something off the Plaza so they'll probably be doing higher end bar food.

I'd go...now if they could just start making better mainstream movies.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

trailerkid wrote: I'd go...now if they could just start making better mainstream movies.
Even Indie films are duds these days compared to 10 years ago.  Hollywood has screwed up that scene too.

I've been to Armor Screenland a couple times this summer - pretty cool concept.  With the age of personal home theaters/HDTVs, places like Screenland make going out for a movie a little more worth it.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

My daughter and I went there this weekend to see "W".  I didn't eat, but she did.  The food looked good.  I thought it was nice although I only had a drink.
I've been to a place a lot like it in TX (Alamo Drafthouse). 
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

How much does the ticket cost?  The Legends theater has been doing this concept for years if I'm reading it correctly.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

looks pretty cool.. i will def. check it out.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

oh btw.. thanks for spending the time for a great video tour ramseym_com.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

AMC Fork and Screen, Olathe KS

Post by justin8216 »

Went to the AMC Fork and Screen last night. I have to say, AMC really outdid themselves. AMC revoluitionized Moviegoing with stadium seating and now they've done it again. This place we awesome and the ticket price was the same. $5.oo

You order you food at your seat during the movie and even get free refills on your soda brought to your chair. Can't beat that for 5 bucks.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

chrizow wrote: the armour screenland has some pretty decent food - at reasonable prices. 
I've actually been to the Armour screenland four times now ( I just saw James Bond last Friday with one of my friends who recently moved to the City View apartments to live with the rest of the queens) and even have a frequent flier card to get my 10th movie free or some jazz.

The problem with that theater is that with one screen they get a new release once a month. So that means unless you want to watch the same movie over and over, you only have the potential to see 12 movies in a year there and that of course is assuming you actually want to see every movie they feature which I doubt most people would.

But there is definately a demand for a more unique movie going experience and AMC is stepping in to help fill that demand.

Similar concepts are proposed for a upscale cinema at Mission's Gateway development and also VIllage Roadshow's cinema chain out of Australia called Gold Class planned for Corbin Park.

Cinemark The Palace and Legends are going to have to up the ante to compete.

......oh yeah and that Ramsey looks damn fine :-)
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.