Most "Luxurious" move Theater in Kansas City

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.

Which movie theater would you consider to be KC's most "Luxurious"? (not considering small specialty theat2rs)

Dickinson's Palazo
10%
Cinemark on The Plaza
68%
Legends
10%
Dickson's West Glen
No votes
AMC Town Center
13%

Total votes: 31

splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Most "Luxurious" move Theater in Kansas City

Post by splash »

We live about the same distance from both Ward Parkway and Leawood, but we pretty much always pick Leawood.  Our only reason for this is because the Leawood theater shows movies later than Ward Parkway does.  When we do the dinner and a movie thing, movie times determine if we head to the Plaza or Town Center.  Ward Parkway doesn't seem to have restaurants nearby, which is another reason why we usually bypass it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

didn't know where else to put this...

has anyone tried the reserved seating at AMC town center? just wondering if it really works the same as the AMC downtown. haven't been to that theater in ages and we have tickets to see avatar 3D tonight and don't want any surprises.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

went and saw Invictus downtown this past weekend. Consistently amazed by that place. Blows every other theatre in town out of the water.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

NDTeve wrote: went and saw Invictus downtown this past weekend. Consistently amazed by that place. Blows every other theatre in town out of the water.
Was Matt Damon's accent better than his Brother's Grimm accent?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

timberwolfrider wrote: matt damon doesnt pull off the accent very well.
I kind of thought so due to his lack of dialogue in the trailer. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

His role is pretty insignificant. Morgan Freeman is the star.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: didn't know where else to put this...

has anyone tried the reserved seating at AMC town center? just wondering if it really works the same as the AMC downtown. haven't been to that theater in ages and we have tickets to see avatar 3D tonight and don't want any surprises.
I'd appreciate a review once you've seen it.  I've heard the special effects are out of this world (literally) but I've not heard anything positive about the story (basically dismissed as a cliche) and the acting which is accused of being constrained by the poor script.  Are the effects enough to make it worthwhile? 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

went to the VIP room at the cinemark plaza tonight. that place seriously needs to (a) be digital and (b) address their service issues. other than that, it's only $10 during the week and we got a decent bottle of wine for $14.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

What to see what KCMO has lost? 

Go to http://cinematreasures.org/location/cou ... n&show=all
and scroll down to Kansas City, MO

And http://cinematreasures.org/location/cou ... w=all  Scroll down to Kansas City KS.  I spent many happy hours in the Granada, looking at the moving sky.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

not sure if this has been noted elsewhere, but cinemark on the plaza lowered their prices for all showings awhile back. $4 matinee, $6 prime time, and $10 VIP. it also appears they've eliminated the age restriction? although i'm getting to the age where it's hard to tell the difference between teens and tweens.

it's an interesting move that could mean (a) they're planning a renovation and/or digital upgrade and the lower prices will retain audiences during or (b) they have no intention of upgrading to digital or renovating and plan to become the value option in the city.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I thought the AMC Main Street was going to show art films (an ambiguous term, I know). So, whatthehell happened? All mainstream crap right now.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi wrote: I thought the AMC Main Street was going to show art films (an ambiguous term, I know). So, whatthehell happened? All mainstream crap right now.
as a result we rarely go. we're still at the plaza or tivoli far more often. at least one art film a month, please?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

not necessarily an excuse for AMC . . . but is it just me or does it seem like the last year has been a pretty low point for high brow movies all around - both studio and independent?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

While high brow independent may be an oxymoron, there are plenty of great independent films out there. And some decent studio "independent"is films, and they are showing neither.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

One would think that with all digital projectors, it would be simple to offere multiple movies in the same theater at different times.  I haven't noticed them doing this.  At the very least, it would be cool if they started a special for late night/early morning/weekday, non-mainstream/foreign cinema.  There is no reason why they need to show Mel Gibson's movie on two screens.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

We used to live about a block and a half from the Plaza theatre, and always went there unless it was to see some indie at the Tivoli.  I always liked Cinemark on the Plaza well enough, though we never availed ourselves of the VIP lounge.  I miss being nearby that theatre, as the closest one to me now is the Dickinson Eastglen, which is more or less like the shopping mall movie theatre in my 1980s childhood in a rural community of 9,000. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

bobbyhawks wrote:   There is no reason why they need to show Mel Gibson's movie on two screens.
Haven't seen the movie but if the demand (anticipated or actual) is there for it that is what they will show.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.