Most "Luxurious" move Theater in Kansas City

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.

Which movie theater would you consider to be KC's most "Luxurious"? (not considering small specialty theat2rs)

Dickinson's Palazo
10%
Cinemark on The Plaza
68%
Legends
10%
Dickson's West Glen
No votes
AMC Town Center
13%

Total votes: 31

justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Most "Luxurious" move Theater in Kansas City

Post by justin8216 »

Too bad the Warren didn't get built out at the Legends, but I am happy with what we did get, it is a least as nice if not slightly nicer than the other movie theater offerings in the metro.

I really like the Plaza theater, I think it has classy finishes with red curtains, etched glass doors, etc.

I think the Legends theater is as classy as the Plaza, but it is a more modern take whereas the Plaza took a more traditional approach with it's interior finishes.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Most "Luxurious" move Theater in Kansas City

Post by trailerkid »

justin8216 wrote: Too bad the Warren didn't get built out at the Legends, but I am happy with what we did get, it is a least as nice if not slightly nicer than the other movie theater offerings in the metro.

I really like the Plaza theater, I think it has classy finishes with red curtains, etched glass doors, etc.

I think the Legends theater is as classy as the Plaza, but it is a more modern take whereas the Plaza took a more traditional approach with it's interior finishes.
Gould Evans did Legends I believe and they do work for AMC. Legends appears to be the nicest theater in the metro in terms of interior design, but I wouldn't call it luxurious by any stretch. The entrance and front signage for Legends is also goofy looking. Majestic at ZR was the nicest theatre experience I've had in KC. 

Wichita is being forced to subsidize Warren in their Old Town area. WyCo probably got lucky not getting involved with that character.

Isn't Screenland Armour something of a luxury theater?
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

trailerkid wrote: Isn't Screenland Armour something of a luxury theater?
Oh is that open now?

I set the poll so everyone can vote for 2 and you can change your vote.

I think there are some "luxurious" aspects to the Legends theater but your right there is no major theater in KC that is encrusted with marble, limestone, gold leaf, and stained glass. The Warren was supposed to be all that and more, recalling the true movie "Palaces" of the old days.

Legends does have very nice leather seating and Terrazo floors, aspects one might call "luxurious", at least as far as Kansas City goes.

Also there is the upstairs bar and balcony recliners with wait service.

Does the Cinemark Plaza have a bar? I've never tried it before. How do the ticket prices for that compare to the price for the exclusive seating at the Legends?
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

The cinemark on the plaza does have a bar, but I've never patronized it.

I was going to mention the three screenlands as really nice theaters.  I wish the one in KCK one had more events.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

midtown wrote: The cinemark on the plaza does have a bar, but I've never patronized it.

I was going to mention the three screenlands as really nice theaters.  I wish the one in KCK one had more events.
Yes that is true. I excluded the small specialty theaters like the screenlands because they are not "Major" first run theaters that the masses of metro KC will be visiting.

Also I didn't want to start a pissing match with the new AMC Empire on the verge of opening, which i'm sure will be fabulous. But the fact is the majority of the people of KC will probably never go there because it is supposed to be more of a specialty theater showing art and foreign films. Isn't it?

I've been to ScreenLand Grananda, and I too would like to see more events there may be because I have a small bias towards KC KS ;-)

I've never been to the Screenland downtown but I probably should check it out.

I do some hanging out in NKC (very affodable breakfast and nice people at the NKC cafe behind the First Watch) because I have some friends who live in NE off of Indep Ave. and I go to church off Armour RD so I can see myself checking out Screenland Armour in the near future. What kind of movies are showing there?

I went to the Tivioli in Westport last week for some film festival. I saw Gihad of Love. It was a bit boring but informative. I feel people need to be informed about what is going on in the rest of the world. I wish Tiviloli had a nicer theater. It feels like they should be showing triple X films in there.

What is the Rio in OPK like? I've always wanted to check out the Latin film festival there. I know that after some films they do panel discussions, and I love crap like that.
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Personally, I don't really care if a theater is "luxurious" or not.  As long as the picture on the screen and the sound are great then my requirements after that are the seats are comfortable, the seating and restrooms areas clean, the popcorn hot and fresh, the drinks cold, and the crowd behaves.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Screenland
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I've been to the Sreenland in the Crossroads and the Armour location.  Both are great places and both serve Alcohol which gives them a leg up on places that do not.  :D  The VIP at Cinemark serves drinks but the last time I was there the recliners were very worn out and uncomfortable.  maybe they have upgraded them by now.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Personally, I don't really care if a theater is "luxurious" or not.  As long as the picture on the screen and the sound are great then my requirements after that are the seats are comfortable, the seating and restrooms areas clean, the popcorn hot and fresh, the drinks cold, and the crowd behaves.
You're picky.

Screenland is defintiely my favorite, although I'm partial to their ill-fated Granada.  (Did you hear that Justin?)  I saw about 4 movies there before they closed it for first runs and went to renting it out.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Man, I miss the old Glenwood Theater, where the Whole Foods is now.  Now THAT was a theater, with a genuine widescreen and a curtain. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Agreed, that was a badass art deco theater.  I loved the old lobby, they rented obscure videos.  And had Blue Sky soda.  I was SO pissed when it was torn down.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

It was the best place in town to go for opening weekends.  The main theater sat thousands - so if you went on a premier night you really felt like you were going to a big event. 
Jason
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Jason »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: It was the best place in town to go for opening weekends.  The main theater sat thousands - so if you went on a premier night you really felt like you were going to a big event. 
Star Wars opening weekend on the big screen May 1977.......etched in my memory forever.....
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

heatherkay wrote: Man, I miss the old Glenwood Theater, where the Whole Foods is now.  Now THAT was a theater, with a genuine widescreen and a curtain. 
The big theater at the Glenwood was very nice but it's additions were below that level.  On the other hand the Empire and the Midland were very nice until they were broken up into multiplexes (the exception was the little theater off the lobby down the steps - saw Play Misty For Me there and that very small seating area and screen was just perfect for that movie).  The old Plaza theater had some nice touches.  Even the Uptown, Brookside, and Waldo theaters had some nice touches to them.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'm partial to Ranchmart.

I worked there when I was in high school - was a dump then (thanks in part to me). They've done a nice job fixing it up as best they can. Their large theater actually seats close to 800 (I think). It's huge - and still has the THX sound system.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

heatherkay wrote: Man, I miss the old Glenwood Theater, where the Whole Foods is now.  Now THAT was a theater, with a genuine widescreen and a curtain. 
Hmm....am I thinking of the right one?  I'm thinking of the one that was on Shawnee Mission Parkway and had pink neon marquee.  I just remember it as the "Fine Arts" theater.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Hmm....am I thinking of the right one?  I'm thinking of the one that was on Shawnee Mission Parkway and had pink neon marquee.  I just remember it as the "Fine Arts" theater.
No - Glenwood was at 91st and Metcalf - under the Whole Foods.  Confusingly a later incarnation using the original sign operated for several years in the old theaters at Metcalf south.  However, the one with the giant curtained screen that sat thousands was the one at 91st and Metcalf. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the glenwood is still operating at metcalf south as glenwood arts.  i saw "the visitor" there a few weeks ago. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: No - Glenwood was at 91st and Metcalf - under the Whole Foods.  Confusingly a later incarnation using the original sign operated for several years in the old theaters at Metcalf south.  However, the one with the giant curtained screen that sat thousands was the one at 91st and Metcalf. 
Gotcha.  I visited the reincarnate.  What was the one on Shawnee Mission Parkway then?  They rocked.  It was on the south side of the street a couple blocks down from Mission Mall.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Gotcha.  I visited the reincarnate.  What was the one on Shawnee Mission Parkway then?  They rocked.  It was on the south side of the street a couple blocks down from Mission Mall.
that was the Fine Arts, and it was on Johnson Drive.