ChefBurger

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

ChefBurger

Post by DaveKCMO »

they were slammed today, and this ain't no mcdonalds. be prepare to wait!

all that said, a great concept... like "the mixx" for burgers. i can't even begin to list the various combinations, but i can't imagine anyone walking away thinking they didn't have something for everyone. my overly-indulgent "BYOB" concoction was:

- whole wheat bun ($0.99)
- turkey patty ($2.99)
- goat cheese ($0.99)
- fried green tomato ($0.99)
- chef sauce ($0.50)

there are salads, pre-built burgers, and even alcoholic drinks.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ChefBurger

Post by chrizow »

wow, i cant wait to try it!

what are the hours?  is it just a lunch place or will it be open at night?  the website is up but doesn't have any content on it. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Sounds great, I'd like to try for dinner tonight...like Chizow said...hours?

I like the build your own style.  Fried green tomato?!  I think of Jessica Tandy and Kathy Bates...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: wow, i cant wait to try it!

what are the hours?  is it just a lunch place or will it be open at night?  the website is up but doesn't have any content on it. 
i know you will like it! i highly recommend the fried green tomato!

like an idiot, i didn't even check the posted hours. i pray for evening hours.

i saw staubio there, so may be he caught the operating hours?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: they were slammed today, and this ain't no mcdonalds. be prepare to wait!

all that said, a great concept... like "the mixx" for burgers. i can't even begin to list the various combinations, but i can't imagine anyone walking away thinking they didn't have something for everyone. my overly-indulgent "BYOB" concoction was:

- whole wheat bun ($0.99)
- turkey patty ($2.99)
- goat cheese ($0.99)
- fried green tomato ($0.99)
- chef sauce ($0.50)

there are salads, pre-built burgers, and even alcoholic drinks.

How was it, Dave?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I just got back. Saw Dave waiting for his frankenburger to get done while I was ordering.

It was pretty tasty but they are still working out the kinks. You place the order and they call your name in a few minutes when your order is up. It probably took about 15 for my name to get called but we came in the middle of the early rush.

You can get any of the specialties or build-your-own with beef, turkey, chicken or veggie. I had the specialty French Onion Mushroom Burger with the veggie patty. The veggie patty wasn't stellar but the mix of ingredients is excellent, including carmalized onions, gruyere swiss, etc... gourmet stuff.

I think I spent around $7 burger alone but it was plenty of food for me.

Tons of options, including hot dogs, a pile of fixin's for the burgers and hot dogs, sides like cole slaw, jalapeño poppers, sweet potato fries, etc.

It is good.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Don't quote me but I was pretty good pals with Chrystal, who is now the chefBURGER manager, by virtue of being a regular at Souperman, and I remember her assuring me that it would be open in the evening.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote:
How was it, Dave?
like many of rob's lunch concoctions at 1924, it was an unbelievably tasty mess (it's a compliment, i swear!). i can't wait to try the other toppings and sauces!
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Look forward to trying it
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

just got back from trying it.  i highly recommend it - even though they gave me the wrong burger (and i wasn't paying attention) so i ended up eating 90% of a beef burger even though i ordered a veg burger.  first meat-eating experience in 4 years, woooo!  very good place though, i recommend it.  i feel like they need to figure out how to take orders faster.  i waited in line behind 4-5 people and it took like 15 minutes - then 10 minutes or so for the food.  not that bad, but not what you might expect from a cafeteria-style place.  but yeah, the food is really good!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

chrizow wrote: even though they gave me the wrong burger (and i wasn't paying attention) so i ended up eating 90% of a beef burger even though i ordered a veg burger.  first meat-eating experience in 4 years, woooo!   
Good Lord. I know a vegetarian or two who would have their stomach pumped if that happened. And they'd probably sue the restaurant too!

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

chrizow wrote:first meat-eating experience in 4 years, woooo!
first known meat-eating experience
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Tosspot wrote: Good Lord. I know a vegetarian or two who would have their stomach pumped if that happened. And they'd probably sue the restaurant too!
yeah i am not happy about it, but whatever.  it was a mistake on the first day of opening.  i told them they should really focus on getting it right when a veg burger is ordered.  to their credit, they asked me if i wanted a new one or a milkshake or something.  i said i didn't want anything, mistakes happen, but i hope they think about it more carefully next time. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I too had a burger here last night.  I dressed mine like this:

Honey Whole Wheat Bun
Beef Patty
Black Bean Chili
Grilled Onions
Lettuce
Pepperjack Cheese
Some sort of spicy lime ranchy sauce

It was very good.  I also ordered an "adult milkshake" that had amaretto, SoCo, and heath/nutty stuff in it.  It truly was amazing.  At $7.99 a pop, I won't be getting them often, but on a grand opening night, I had to go all out trying things.  Their fries are top notch.  They have a celery salt and some other seasonings on them.  DELICIOUS!

Overall, very pleased, and I'll be here very often.  Great place.  Seems everything this guy touches turns to gold in downtown.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

I know I'm dating myself as an oldfart, but perhaps this place was named in reverence after the late Regan's/Dari-o's signature hamburger-The Chefburger?
.....Or more likely after the owner.
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Does anyone think CB will take the "KC's best burger" title from The Flea?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

MidWestSider wrote: Does anyone think CB will take the "KC's best burger" title from The Flea?
i know that i would take chefburger over westport flea market every time - based on taste, quality, as well as the ridiculous amount of options chefburger has for toppings, cheeses, etc.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

chrizow wrote: i know that i would take chefburger over westport flea market every time - based on taste, quality, as well as the ridiculous amount of options chefburger has for toppings, cheeses, etc.
are you saying that to dog on the flea (heh) or to really talk up CB? 
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

also has Boulevard on tap!  Irish, Pale, Wheat (and maybe a 4th; can't remember)

edit - blvd stout is the 4th!
Last edited by kard on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

shaffe wrote: are you saying that to dog on the flea (heh) or to really talk up CB? 
the latter.  although i think the flea is good, i don't really understand the obsession with it.  CB has a unique product, flea does not.