Raglan Road

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Raglan Road

Post by ChefColby »

mean wrote: It's one of the three restaurants I've still never eaten at in P&L, and the only one I actually have any desire to try.
Same here, but I finally went last week for lunch....dead, dead, dead, dead, dead......food was good.
I don't understand why no one is going to these restaurants? This place was really freaking nice inside except for those weird partitions at the bar.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'd go for a pie and a pint every now and again if it were a bit cheaper.  I haven't been for food since it first opened, and haven't been for a drink for over a year and a half, but I recall that a Guinness was $6+.  Add that to a pie or fish 'n chips that is $15, and you are talking $25+ for one drink, food, and tip.  They are making the mistake of trying to charge gastropub prices for standard pub fare.  In the UK, pies, fish 'n chips, and bangers 'n mash are essentially equivalent to hamburgers, chicken strip baskets, and buffalo wings.  You wouldn't expect to pay $15 at a KC bar for any of those unless they were pretty fantastic.

Then there is the whole inclusion of the Risotto, BBQ Pulled Pork, Procuitto and Chicken Sandwich, Baby Back Ribs, etc. in the menu.  I don't know that it is wise to take a concept in Europe that is based on being reasonable, neighborhood friendly, and comfortable, and attempt to class it up to the point of charging premiums for location and exotic nature, often closing off the most comfortable and authentic part, and adding random bits and pieces to the menu (which oddly enough, are generally cheaper than the authentic stuff).

BTW - Johnny's and McFadden's have Fish 'n Chips for $9.99 and $11 respectively (no idea on how good those are, but beers are probably a lot cheaper in general).
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ChefColby wrote: Same here, but I finally went last week for lunch....dead, dead, dead, dead, dead......food was good.
As bobby points out, people don't go here for lunch every day because of the price and quality.  I'm down for a sit-down meal about once a week.  As a downtown worker who eats lunch out every day, I don't really feel like getting lunch in the $10-15 range every day of the week.  With tip, you can easily spend $20.  And the food is average, at best. 

Now, when it comes to nightlife, drinks, entertainment, Raglan is great.  And, I think its evening crowds reflect this. 

But, they're not going to capitalize on lunch until they drop their prices or include a cheap lunch menu.  See Ingredient - $5.00 pizzas on Wednesday = line out the door. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I think Raglan's menu/prices probably reflect that they are usually in tourist locations (vegas, disney, etc.).  The concept was never designed around regular office traffic even though that is the low hanging fruit in the P&L.  Perhaps this location should try and break corporate ranks a bit and get more agressive with the lunch specials. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah Raglan isn't a downtown business lunch destination.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

ChefColby wrote: Same here, but I finally went last week for lunch....dead, dead, dead, dead, dead......food was good.
I don't understand why no one is going to these restaurants? This place was really freaking nice inside except for those weird partitions at the bar.
Glad to hear the food is good. It just moved higher on my priority list.

I have to echo everyone else here, the main reason I don't go to those restaurants is simple: for the most part they have crap food, and the ones I've tried that don't have crap food are way overpriced for what you get. Just as one example, Maker's Mark has pretty decent shrimp and grits... for $28. As I'm sure you're aware, the shrimp and grits in the bluestem lounge are half that (1/4 that during happy hour!)--and in my opinion, five times tastier. It's a no-brainer.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I return to Raglan on occasion to satisfy my craving for their Sage Chicken (mashed pots, baby carrots and nectar-like gravy).  Decadently delicious.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Just for the record, I will never ever say someones food is bad. So don't hold my feet to the fire if you have a bad experience.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Fair enough. That's probably a smart policy.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ChefColby wrote: Just for the record, I will never ever say someones food is bad. So don't hold my feet to the fire if you have a bad experience.
writing that the food was "good" gives Raglan Road the CG endorsement. if it wasn't good, but you don't wanna appear to be an asshole...then i just wouldn't comment.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

trailerkid wrote: writing that the food was "good" gives Raglan Road the CG endorsement. if it wasn't good, but you don't wanna appear to be an asshole...then i just wouldn't comment.
Yes you are right. If it wasn't good I wouldn't say anything at all.

But thank you for pointing out what I should and shouldn't do.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

My one experience at Raglan Road was watching a concert from there in the Live Area last summer.  I can't say anything about the food but, inside the bar, an Irish band was playing (a Beatles tribute band was playing in the Live Area) and the inside was absolutely packed.  I am anxious to try the food, maybe when I am in town for Christmas.   
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ChefColby wrote: Yes you are right. If it wasn't good I wouldn't say anything at all.

But thank you for pointing out what I should and shouldn't do.

you're welcome.

HEY EVERYBODY!!! Ragland Road has CG's endorsement!!
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i think another factor that might hurt RR's lunches is that it's on the far southeast corner of the district. Virtually all of the business traffic is coming from the northwest, and they have to pass literally every other restaurant before getting to Raglan.

just a thought.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

trailerkid wrote: you're welcome.

HEY EVERYBODY!!! Ragland Road has CG's endorsement!!
I hope they're staffed-up to handle the rush of people!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

not to jump into this little spat, but to be fair to trailerkid after CG's brief comments about Raglan I was far more inclined to try it.  I've been in for a drink, always kinda wanted to get back and try the food and found CG calling it "good" a surprising and encouraging remark, FWIW.
are we spinning free?
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I went only a couple of times when it first opened (which also coincided with a span of time when I was working at 12th and Grand.  I did actually go with work people for lunches, for what it's worth.  Don't know if any of them are still frequenting the place.  The food was decent enough, if pricey for pub fare.  The bar is beautiful, as are most things pried out of establishments in Ireland and shipped here to be resurrected.  I haven't been back, because, since quitting my downtown job for one in SKC, I simply don't find myself in the area much. No reflection on the food.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Relating to the discussion above about changes at RR it sounds like they have a new GM that's trying to make the place a more happening spot:

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/9780
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

trailerkid wrote: Relating to the discussion above about changes at RR it sounds like they have a new GM that's trying to make the place a more happening spot:

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/9780

The changes mentioned don't sound all that dramatic. The two times I've been in there were Irish Folk bands and Irish Dancers. Thought it was cool, the bar and decor were exceptionally beautiful. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC Sporting Life wrote:
The changes mentioned don't sound all that dramatic. The two times I've been in there were Irish Folk bands and Irish Dancers. Thought it was cool, the bar and decor were exceptionally beautiful. 
I just hope they're not in trouble. Raglan Road could/should be a restaurant anchor to the District in the same way that Bristol is.