Bristol Seafood

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Bristol Seafood

Post by trailerkid »

Maitre D wrote: Won't matter.   It was the best in the city, prior to going DT anyway.
Bice and the steakhouse concept will definitely give them a run for their money.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

trailerkid wrote: Bice and the steakhouse concept will definitely give them a run for their money.
Have you tried both?  Have you been to Bristol?

If so on both accounts, I will take your word and hit this Bice place up very soon.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

What's the steakhouse concept?
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

^^^ probably talking about Maker's Mark?  Peachtree will soon provide some amazing food in the P&L as well (and local, to boot!), but soul food is a whole different vibe than the Bristol's and Bice's of the world.
are we spinning free?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

rxlexi wrote: ^^^ probably talking about Maker's Mark? 
I think there has been semi-confirmation of some actual steakhouse tennant - but no firm word on who it will be. 
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

We went for the lobster last night and ended up sticking around for about four hours chatting with people at the bar.  I think this might be my favorite place in the P&L now.  All of the bar staff are really friendly and they make some really good drinks.  Last night I had the Green Tea Martini, Cucumber dill, and Grey Goose with bleu cheese olives.  The Cucumber Dill was very different and not sweet at all so it goes pretty well with a meal.  The food is always top notch.  Last night the owner/operator of the fine dining branch of Houlihans introduced himself (Lou) and talked to us for about 10 minutes.  He was asking us about different places downtown that we like and why we like/don't like certain places.  He bought each of us a martini and one of the girls that we met, a piece of key lime pie.  It was nice to see that he was very focused on customer service as well as quality of food/drinks.  He said that they sold 30 lobsters last night (all that they had) and that they are expecting to sell about 60 when the patio opens up. 
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

should have asked him if a Houlihans was on it's way.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

I thought of that as he was over getting us our drinks but when he came back, he said he had to get going so I never got the question in. 
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Could the steakhouse be Sullivans?  I remember reading something about it a month or two ago, but haven't heard anything since.  If so, I do know Sullivans has pretty dang good steak. 

http://www.sullivansteakhouse.com/
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Mhudson wrote: Could the steakhouse be Sullivans?  I remember reading something about it a month or two ago, but haven't heard anything since.  If so, I do know Sullivans has pretty dang good steak. 

Wonder if J Gilbert's is a possibility?  Same group that runs Bristol.  Only 1 current location that I know of, in JoCo as well.  Always full, like Bristol.

If Bristol does well in the P&L, why wouldn't they bring their 2nd concept down there too?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

I'm assuming Houlihan's in the P&L is The Bristol, with Houlihan's being the parent company to The Bristol and J. Gilberts.
Last edited by MidtownCat on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SAC »

Had dinner here for the first time Saturday night.  Great food, cool atmosphere (esp. in the bar area).  To say that business is booming would be quite the understatement (same could be said for everything else in the P&L).  90 minute wait at 7 pm on a night with nothing going on at the Sprint Center.  Glad we had reservations!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Went there a couple weekends ago with some very particular Jersey fucks.  Standards were not as 'fine dining' as I recall of the old one on the Plaza (never been to the JoCo one) but was OK.  The service though is that contemp chit chatty crap and otherwise incompetent.  Is more on par with the touristy food/experience of PF Changs but it was doable. 

KC dining/upper scale places (or that desire to be) have got to do something about the piss poor wait staff just about everywhere.  I can understand why many don't want to train as there is always high turnover, but they should be embarrassed with the incompetent servers they staff.  Someone needs to open up a wait staff training place that does some kind of certification.  The upper scale restaurants then need to seek those who are certified.  The bar just keeps getting lower, probably because KC is too willing to tip 20% for the subpar.  The Jersey people were not impressed and didn't tip well, but they didn't take it personally or let it ruin the evening.  They simply didn't tip much.
SAC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SAC »

I did not have the same experience in regards to the service.  None of the overly chit chatty stuff you spoke of (I hate that too).  I could have used a few more biscuits though!

The Leawood location is very similar to the old Plaza location in terms of "fine dining" (somewhat stuffy).  The downtown location is (or is at least trying to be) much more urban / sleek.  I think they have definitely succeeded in at least the bar area.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I completely dig the very contemporary place, and of the three times I've dined there also never experienced any of the chatty service.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Wow, I'm really surprised to hear that. It was some of the best service I've ever had.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Mhudson wrote: Could the steakhouse be Sullivans?  I remember reading something about it a month or two ago, but haven't heard anything since.  If so, I do know Sullivans has pretty dang good steak. 

Doubt it'd be Sullivans. Aren't they going in at 119?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

my three service experiences at the new bristol have been great. i'm used to the KC level of service, however, i have traveled extensively and always seek out higher end dining when i do. there is definitely a lack of transparency with KC servers, but i honestly believe people here actually prefer it and tip accordingly. to expect that regional differences won't translate into the local dining scene smacks of coastal elitism more than any worldwide service standard (which doesn't really exist).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Maitre D wrote: Have you tried both?   Have you been to Bristol?

If so on both accounts, I will take your word and hit this Bice place up very soon.
I was at Bice in Houston a few months ago.  Nice place.  Upscale Italian but not like a Jaspers.  I remember it as being an open place with piano music and not very crowded when I was there (I went to the Galleria location).  Most of the pasta's were in the high teens to twenty plus dollar range and the steaks and fish ranged from 30-40$.    
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Highlander wrote: I was at Bice in Houston a few months ago.  Nice place.  Upscale Italian but not like a Jaspers.  I remember it as being an open place with piano music and not very crowded when I was there (I went to the Galleria location).  Most of the pasta's were in the high teens to twenty plus dollar range and the steaks and fish ranged from 30-40$.    
PASTA up to $20?!  Wowsa.  Steaks seem high, are they competing with Plaza III and Ruth Chris?