ONGOING: Sprint Center bookings

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ONGOING: Sprint Center bookings

Post by chrizow »

ignatius wrote: you've never heard of muse?
nope.  i am always about five years behind on popular bands though, b/c i don't listen to commercial radio, let alone the BUZZ.  (not trying to sound cool, i just really haven't listened to the radio, other than the occasional foray into oldies 95, in about 15 years). 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chrizow wrote: nope.  i am always about five years behind on popular bands though, b/c i don't listen to commercial radio, let alone the BUZZ.  (not trying to sound cool, i just really haven't listened to the radio, other than the occasional foray into oldies 95, in about 15 years). 
You've probably heard the Uprising before though. The series "V" uses it for promos, and I've heard it used in promos for other movies and TV shows.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: You've probably heard the Uprising before though. The series "V" uses it for promos, and I've heard it used in promos for other movies and TV shows.
man, i haven't heard that either.  i kind of live in a cave, though.  i dont know what "V" is either.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chrizow wrote: man, i haven't heard that either.  i kind of live in a cave, though.  i dont know what "V" is either.
Its a miniseries on ABC re-making a 70s miniseries about an alien invasion.

A miniseries is a series of television programs longer than a special, but shorter than a full season of television programming - usually spanning 4-8 weeks.

Television is a telecommunication device invented in 1884 by Paul Nipkow that transmits images on a screen to give the appearance as if they are moving.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Its a miniseries on ABC re-making a 70s miniseries about an alien invasion.
Lord I don't need extra help making me feel old - 1983 and 1984.  :D
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCMax wrote: Television is a telecommunication device invented in 1884 by Paul Nipkow that transmits images on a screen to give the appearance as if they are moving.
:lol:
There is no fifth destination.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

KCMax wrote:
Television is a telecommunication device invented in 1884 by Paul Nipkow that transmits images on a screen to give the appearance as if they are moving.
Excellent  :lol:
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i don't think muse can fill the sprint center. i might go if it were at uptown or midland, but not there.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Actually, if they curtain off sections the sound is much much better.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

nilsson1941 wrote: They're one of those bands that stations like the BUZZ around the country have started to play A LOT in the past couple of years. My guess is that they are on a major that has a business connection with whatever company owns all of these stations.

Technically they are talented, but are basically like a bad Queen without any of the self-deprecating humor that Queen was great at.
It's a tragic thing that they are nothing like Queen. They are a modern progressive band, story telling basically.

I'm probably going to go, missed them the past few times they've been here. Plus it's 2 weeks after my birthday, can't miss along with Roger Waters.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote: i don't think muse can fill the sprint center. i might go if it were at uptown or midland, but not there.
Many years ago a promoter was trying to book a performer into Muni but it was unavailable so he ended up being booked into Kemper.  The promoter was expecting around 5,000 tickets to be sold.  By the day of the concert Dan Fogelberg sold 14,000 tickets.  Not a sell-out but not a bad ticket sale though.

Then there was the American Royal trifecta.  It was either 1977 or 1978 when it booked Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, and Crystal Gayle for its entertainment.  Between booking and their performances they became big country stars and sold a large amount of tickets for the events they were performing.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Dan Fogelberg  :lol:

"We drank a toast to innocence....we drank a toast to time..."

AWESOME ARTIST!!
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

NDTeve wrote: Dan Fogelberg  :lol:

"We drank a toast to innocence....we drank a toast to time..."

AWESOME ARTIST!!
RIP  :(
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Sprint Center continues to book more touring shows (granted, mass appeal) than any other US arena, on pace with Madison Square Garden.  There are typically 18-20 shows future booked.  As a show or two passes, a couple more are booked.  Most arenas have 8-12 tours future booked, even much larger cities that have no NBA or NHL.

http://pollstar.com/resultsVenue.aspx?I ... t%20center

MSG tends to be about the same unless having multiple dates.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Didn't realize that Brooks and Dunn had been announced...think this is their last tour.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

Saw a rumour that Buffett will play Sprint Center on 4/30, anyone heard anything about this?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WyCo wrote: Saw a rumour that Buffett will play Sprint Center on 4/30, anyone heard anything about this?
Please tell me you are referring to Warren Buffett?

I can take throngs of Miley Cyrus and Jonus Brothers fans.  I can weather the storm of a Korn onslaught, but 50+ year old dudes with tropical shirts on and a penchant for cheeseburgers and margaritas?  I will be out of town for that one.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

I agree. Those people have had a 25-30 career and have too much disposable income. We don't want them anywhere near our downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mudjack wrote: I agree. Those people have had a 25-30 career and have too much disposable income. We don't want them anywhere near our downtown.
:lol:
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Ha!  Warren Buffett was the first thing I thought, too.  But I agree with mudjak -- it would be a huge money maker for KCMO if Jimmy Buffett played Sprint Center.  Get him to play every year -- more if he's up for it.  I'm sure the bartenders at the P&L are salivating just thinking about it.