wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by chrizow »

I READ GOOD  :o
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

taxi wrote:
You heard what you heard, and I heard what I heard. 

I know the old guy who owns the building. He lives in the house that is behind and attached to what was Rumi. When they needed more space, he gave them his living room (which of course included an increase in rent).
His rental rates are as low as 1/2 of what many 39th St. spaces are renting for.
Right on.  He may be a square landlord.  I got a number on the rent from a deep source, and its hiiiigh.

Turnover's are happening, still a great neighborhood, 'specially with the two added record stores.  Good people. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the food critics on walt bodine mentioned that "scotty's on 39th" is opening in the old macaluso's space in one week. apparently it's the same chef (who was also previously at cafe allegro). the interior and menu are getting a complete makeover.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Miami Ice is coming together as well. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The Spitfire space is starting to look pretty cool, and something called "Po's Dumpling Bar" is under construction in the former Circe space.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

taxi wrote:
You heard what you heard, and I heard what I heard. 

I know the old guy who owns the building. He lives in the house that is behind and attached to what was Rumi. When they needed more space, he gave them his living room (which of course included an increase in rent).
His rental rates are as low as 1/2 of what many 39th St. spaces are renting for.
Not trying to slander "the old guy who owns the building."

When Rumi left and freed up the lease, I did read a fax regarding the availability of the space and its lease terms. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I'm pretty sure there's a boutique sex shop called Wink set to open in the old Boomerang space in September.

I say "pretty sure" because when I type in the address on the business card she gave me, I get a listing for Boomerang, which I assume is no more.

I admit to some surprise that KC previously hadn't had such a shop.

(Full disclosure: I know the shop owner.  It was quite entertaining to hear her sell the idea to a table of five middle-aged JoCo women having their girls' night out, who we happened to run into at One Bite a few weeks back .  They seemed, um, excited.)
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

AJoD wrote:
I admit to some surprise that KC previously hadn't had such a shop.
The only thing around is Priscillas, that I know of.  THat is where all the girls go for their naughty bachelorette party supplies!
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Yeah, that's what I mean, one that's not like Priscilla's...kind of gross, seedy, and kitschy.

This place is supposed to be nice, welcoming, educational...boutique.

Dunno, we'll see.  I know she spent some time with the ladies at Early to Bed (http://early2bed.com) in Chicago.

Thought someone said there may be a place in Lawrence...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

no more boomerang?!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

to be honest, i'd take Boomerang over any sexshop....
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chrizow wrote: no more boomerang?!
I don't know from Boomerang, but I Googled the address on the card for Wink (forgot the URL, www.winkkc.com) and got a map showing someplace called Boomerang in that location.  Don't know if the web's screwy, the place has moved, or my info's wrong.  Just sayin'.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Boomerang is still there.  If it's being replaced by September they had better get started on a clearance sale.  Perhaps it's really one of the places next door to the east?  The clothing shop that was to replace BBlaze never opened, and now has paper over the windows...
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I think you're right, dangerboy, drove by today (found out the hard way that Murray's is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, settled for Miami Ice).

Looks like Boomerang and the papered over place next door both have the same address (1415).  I bet it's the papered place.

I didn't think Miami Ice was all that great, but I'm not generally a big fan of those mix-in places.  I guess they get their ice cream from Sylas & Maddy's in Lawrence, which I don't know anything about, but I presume to be well-respected.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

A couple of comments:  first, sylas and maddy's is delicious, really good stuff, and I'm glad to hear Miami Ice makes it available on W. 39th. 
  Second, I went to Po's Dumpling Bar not long ago with my gf, and had a great(!) meal.  Blue Koi was overly crowded , actually, so we checked it out as a next best kind of thing, and were pleasantly surprised that the food was very good, the BYOB (Kansas wine from across the street) option was surprising, service reasonable, and atmosphere excellent.  We snatched up a window seat facing 39th, feasted on dumplings and pork noodles, and generally enjoyed the chill vibe and good food and wine.  They were even playing some Portishead at one point, which I really appreciated, hehe.  At any rate it comes highly recommended, especially if you enjoy Blue Koi and want another spin on the concept...I hope it makes it, as it was faaaar less crowded than the Koi that particular saturday evening.  Oh I should add that we later hunted down some Free State at Jaywalkers to make the perfect (near) 39th St. nightcap :)
are we spinning free?
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by rosedalian »

I agree with the Po's recommendation.  Cheap and good food.  We had the dumplings, but they have a lot on the menu. 

Miami Ice is also good.  I was skeptical of the interior, but they seem like nice people and the syrup for the shaved ice is made from sugar, not high fructose corn syrup.  My lactose loving friends all rave about Silas & Maddy's ice cream (there is one on Mass in Lawrence and one at 119th and Black Bob).

Just a way to support a local business.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I ate at Po's Dumplings last night and it was awesome. The dumplings are the best I've had in town. The roast duck is pretty amazing too. Our service was fantastic. The interior is modern but not pretentious. A very laid back, but cool place to have some dumplings. Their lunch prices looked very cheap too ($6-7). And yes, they have veggie dumplings. Do check it out, we need places like this in KC.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

awesome, i'll have to check this place out.  looks like a good spot. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: I ate at Po's Dumplings last night and it was awesome. The dumplings are the best I've had in town. The roast duck is pretty amazing too. Our service was fantastic. The interior is modern but not pretentious. A very laid back, but cool place to have some dumplings. Their lunch prices looked very cheap too ($6-7). And yes, they have veggie dumplings. Do check it out, we need places like this in KC.
We had just the opposite experience a couple weeks ago.  The duck was a bit burned - dry and bitter.  I was a bit disappointed in the rather limited dumpling offerings too.  If you are going to bill yourself as a dumpling restaurant, perhaps it would be better to have more than a handul of choices.  The service was quite good and friendly though. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yea, I thought it would be like a dumpling bar. There were only two choices of dumplings (with several choices of filling). That was a bit disappointing. They were basically just a Chinese restaurant.

But our duck was fantastic. Not dry at all, very tender and crispy. Duck is hard to prepare, hopefully they've figured it out since you last tried it.

They still don't have their liquor license, so you have to BYOB, but there's no recorking fee or anything.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag