wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by WSPanic »

Had Queen Priscilla's Latin Bistro for breakfast this AM (carryout).

Pretty effing good. I had a "queso'rito" - (adoba, peppers, crusted cheese on outside) - really good. Cheesy grits were great too. Plenty of great things on the menu to try. Really happy they've made it through this much of the Pandemic.

ETA - wasn't crazy about the pancake or the seafood benedict. Based on what I had, though, I think you can trust the Latin inspired dishes.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

New brewery and tap room proposed for 1320 W 39th St , Kansas City, MO, 64111
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

3822 Summit is for sale for $5 Million. I would say this would make a good multi-family renovation, but the price is very high and the building is pretty small (in my view) to justify the cost.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3822-Su ... /22429958/
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I would like to see that building and the lot behind it redeveloped. Well, mostly just the lot developed. That price is awfully high for a tear down in that location. I'm surprised Quick Trip was supposedly interested in it.

In other 39th St news - not sure if this has been discussed here- but Bob Wasabi is moving. They are being forced out when their lease is up because "the landlord has other plans for their property". I remember someone posted a rumor here a while back that this strip mall was going to be redeveloped. Perhaps that is moving forward.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:34 pm I would like to see that building and the lot behind it redeveloped. Well, mostly just the lot developed. That price is awfully high for a tear down in that location. I'm surprised Quick Trip was supposedly interested in it.

In other 39th St news - not sure if this has been discussed here- but Bob Wasabi is moving. They are being forced out when their lease is up because "the landlord has other plans for their property". I remember someone posted a rumor here a while back that this strip mall was going to be redeveloped. Perhaps that is moving forward.
Oh that's great to hear re: Bob's the word on the street was they were closing so very glad that isn't the case.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

As far as I know, Bob's doesn't have a new space yet, but it sounds like they are looking for one. Hopefully they get an upgraded spot and that strip gets redeveloped. Win win.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:57 pm As far as I know, Bob's doesn't have a new space yet, but it sounds like they are looking for one. Hopefully they get an upgraded spot and that strip gets redeveloped. Win win.
Does Nara space make sense?
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:18 pm 3822 Summit is for sale for $5 Million. I would say this would make a good multi-family renovation, but the price is very high and the building is pretty small (in my view) to justify the cost.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3822-Su ... /22429958/
The listing implies that the current tenants pay $1.4M per year in rent. Is Uniformed Benefit moving out? If they're staying, the price might be justifiable. Why doesn't the tenant own the building? I had a job interview there a LONG time ago, like in the 1980s, and the interiors look the same LOL.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:57 pm As far as I know, Bob's doesn't have a new space yet, but it sounds like they are looking for one. Hopefully they get an upgraded spot and that strip gets redeveloped. Win win.
Does Nara space make sense?
As far as I know, there are no real improvements planned for the strip center and not renewing their lease was a bonehead move.
I ate at Bob's last night. I know it's subjective, just like everyone thinks their chiropractor is the best, but Bob Wasabi is consistently the best sushi I've had in KC. And anywhere else, for that matter. They have not found a new space yet but hope to land not far from their current location. I think their last day is May 8th.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A spot Bob's should consider is the old Drop space on 31st, that place has been vacant for awhile
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am A spot Bob's should consider is the old Drop space on 31st, that place has been vacant for awhile
That's actually a good idea. I think that place has a small kitchen so probably wouldn't go well for most restaurants, something not necessary for a sushi place. It has a bar and separate eating area and is in a location that seems to be picking up.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Really hope Bob's will find a new space and re-open. I agree with taxi it is by far one of the best sushi places in KC. Top 3 IMO, and like he mentioned very consistent. Would love to see them in Martini corner at the old Drop spot. If they could stay kind of in that Westport area that would be great. I think they have enough of a loyal following that people will go to him, provided they stay in the same general area. If they moved to the "burbs" (I don't see that happening) they would lose some of the original patrons but most likely gain new ones. At any rate I hope he can make it work and continue to offer his wonderful sushi to the masses.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Tower Tavern started doing work on The Drop space pre-Covid. Original plans were for event space. Not sure what the Pandemic has done to those plans.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Not really 39th proper but the vicinity of 39th and Main has some new restaurants. In addition to Canary, I saw on Midtown News that Tailleur has just opened (well, soft opening) at 39th and Main. Looks interesting. Nice looking place but menu is somewhat limited. Website implies it is the same owners as The Russell. Best wishes to them.

https://www.tailleuronmain.com/locations
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Should be a primo spot come streetcar.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Goonies wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:50 pm The shopping center with Bob's Wasabi and 39th liquor and laundry is fenced off
Does anyone have info on what's up with this site? Definitely doesn't look like they are pursuing and tenants there. The huge fenced off parking lot is really wearing on my nerves being on such a busy stretch of 39th. Be a shame to see it sit for an extended period.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

My guess is they will quietly start demo and finish that before presenting a redevelopment plan to avoid any “save my strip mall” push back. Just a guess though
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I question the legitimacy of my source but I've been told a plan is already in the works for housing. I dug deeper to see if they were maybe confusing the Jamestown project but they assured me it was a separate project.*fingers crossed*
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Several people on my Volker neighborhood Facebook page claim that Del Hedgepath (sp?) bought the Bob Wasabi site and put fencing up without even allowing the businesses to clear out (there was a small market that JUST opened in the old laundromat space!). Rumor is that the site will be cleared for a mixed use development and of course neighbors are all worked up that it will be similar to the building on 39th/State Line - the one with Panera on the ground floor. If they're planning on tearing down the laundromat/hookah bar building, I think the neighborhood will fight vehemently against it.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The Laundromat/hookah building is currently for sale. I think it is a fairly new listing, so if a plan is already in place, it would be unlikely to include that building. However, it seems that it could possibly be added on.