wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Was the lunch crowd on W 39th ever dependent on KU Med? I've heard KU med built this amazing Cafeteria inside KU med so a lot of the KU Med business is drying up, i believe it was a big reason why Topp'd Pizza closed up
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:09 am Was the lunch crowd on W 39th ever dependent on KU Med? I've heard KU med built this amazing Cafeteria inside KU med so a lot of the KU Med business is drying up, i believe it was a big reason why Topp'd Pizza closed up
Not sure, but I could see it affecting Topp'd - the Subway next door now closes at 5pm during the week and is completely closed on the weekends.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:04 am Is that Jersey Pizza place still open? I remember seeing some kind of Jersey style pizza place or something.
Nope that owner was a TOTAL nutjob. He harrassed customers who gave him bad reviews. I believe he's currently fighting a few court cases.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

johnmatrix wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:47 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:04 am Is that Jersey Pizza place still open? I remember seeing some kind of Jersey style pizza place or something.
Nope that owner was a TOTAL nutjob. He harrassed customers who gave him bad reviews. I believe he's currently fighting a few court cases.
You can take the man out of New Jersey, but you can't take New Jersey out of the man
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

UGH Hookah Haven open in vacant spot next to Aladdin Cafe. Wonder if the location on Broadway across from Uptown Theatre is closing?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

New gym The Foundation is going in at 3800 Summit (formerly iResQ). Looks to be a second location, after one in Manhattan.

https://thefoundationstf.com/staff/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

A couple of new restaurants coming - Queen Priscilla's latin bistro and brunch in the space just west of Missie B's, and Gang Nam korean in the former Po's location. No word on whether it's related to the Gangnam on 103rd/Metcalf.

Also, Nomad's, the wine bar/coffee shop in the old DB Coopers spot has closed.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am A couple of new restaurants coming - Queen Priscilla's latin bistro and brunch in the space just west of Missie B's
This location is just god awful, i really kind of feel bad, it basically has to be amazing or nobody will go. There is no visibility at that location, parking is not good. There was something in it a couple years ago (Like a middle eastern sweet/coffee shop) and it looked empty all the time.

Speaking of restaurants by Missie B's, I love KC Kitchen and Pizzeria but the place never seems busy. You would think more people would come for the Thursday Wing special, 49 cents a wing for a lot of really good flavors. I also think its some of the best pizza in the city.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

https://www.facebook.com/Queen-Priscill ... 834107086/

That is a weird spot, but I will definitely give it a shot. Although, I'm pretty sure I said that about AnaMarina that was there before.

The link above does say their open, but not sure. No real activity on Facebook. Apparently it's a "Unique Brunch with a Mexican twist."
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

kcjak wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am
Also, Nomad's, the wine bar/coffee shop in the old DB Coopers spot has closed.
Bring back DB's and the roller chairs!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:06 am
kcjak wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 am A couple of new restaurants coming - Queen Priscilla's latin bistro and brunch in the space just west of Missie B's
This location is just god awful, i really kind of feel bad, it basically has to be amazing or nobody will go. There is no visibility at that location, parking is not good. There was something in it a couple years ago (Like a middle eastern sweet/coffee shop) and it looked empty all the time.

Speaking of restaurants by Missie B's, I love KC Kitchen and Pizzeria but the place never seems busy. You would think more people would come for the Thursday Wing special, 49 cents a wing for a lot of really good flavors. I also think its some of the best pizza in the city.
Hmm I don't see it the same way - there's tons of traffic in each direction on 39th and dedicated parking on the west side that is never full. I think the main issue is putting in businesses with limited demand. A middle eastern sweet/coffee shop when one (Sultan's something) just closed down the street from lack of business? And AnaMarina couldn't decide what they wanted to be.

I agree on the pizza - it's solid, but when we've dined in the service was pretty bad.
mykn

Post by mykn »

kcjak wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 amAlso, Nomad's, the wine bar/coffee shop in the old DB Coopers spot has closed.
You sure? I was just there last night and it had a good crowd and no one mentioned anything about them closing.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

mykn wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:56 am
kcjak wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:58 amAlso, Nomad's, the wine bar/coffee shop in the old DB Coopers spot has closed.
You sure? I was just there last night and it had a good crowd and no one mentioned anything about them closing.
Yep - it's on their Facebook page, along with the W39th St FB page...February 2 is their last day in business.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Well fuck
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder how Dragonfly tea is doing at the 39th st location
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mykn wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:48 pmWell fuck
Concur
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Just as Gang Nam korean is taking over the former Po's spot, Volker Bicycle next door now appears to be gone.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 am Apparently there are new owners of the property and rumors are that they are planning some sort of mixed use development. The liquor store's lease was not extended and their last day in business is near. A few people on the neighborhood FB page voiced displeasure on the new development unless all of the apartments are cheap so people can afford to live there. Good grief.
"The French Laundry" appears to be going in west of TikiTaco. 39 Bell Laundrette LLC was filed with MO yesterday.

I would love to see Starbucks/Chipotle get bulldozed and redeveloped. That block is owned by Block Real Estate now.

Jazz’s parking lot would also be a great development site for something a little taller but will require a sizable parking garage. The owner now also owns 6 adjacent single-family homes to the south. I expect something to happen here.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

THE French Laundry restaurant? Isn't there only one location? Maybe name of a laundromat?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

earthling wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 am Maybe name of a laundromat?
yes