Macaluso's on 39th

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Macaluso's on 39th

Post by butter_breath »

After ten years or so Tom threw in the towel on Friday and closed down. A very sad day in Kansas City :(
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Macaluso's on 39th

Post by KCMax »

Does the KC restaurant market seem pretty volatile right now or is it always like this?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Oh man! I loved that place. Great food and dandy atmosphere.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

butter_breath wrote: After ten years or so Tom threw in the towel on Friday and closed down. A very sad day in Kansas City :(
yes, very sad indeed. one of the last old school italian places. does that leave only anthony's and garozzo's?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: yes, very sad indeed. one of the last old school italian places. does that leave only anthony's and garozzo's?
Cascone's on North Oak and V's in Independence are two more really old-school eye-talian places.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

WOW :shock: :shock:

I just ate there a couple of weeks ago! glad I did when I did.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

There will be 2 prime vacant dining spots now on 39th.  Maybe it will help places that need some more business, such as Pangea.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

moderne wrote: There will be 2 prime vacant dining spots now on 39th.  Maybe it will help places that need some more business, such as Pangea.
well, the Garrelts (of Bluestem) are shopping around for locations for a second restaurant concept.  Macaluso's would be a great space for something like that! 

that said, i hope the space becomes an affordable, cool neighborhood eatery. 
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I'm sure something fun will happen there, its got a great location.  I liked Macaluso's, even though I usually don't go out for downscale, homey Italian.  When I'm in the mood it, I prefer Anthony's, but I always thought Macaluso's was a little sexier, especially with regards to service and atmosphere.  I haven't eaten there in probably 2 years, but I'm kind of shocked they closed.  Were they not making it, financially or what?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Or another corner market to complement Mister Z's.
rigatonicarloni
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by rigatonicarloni »

KCMax wrote: Does the KC restaurant market seem pretty volatile right now or is it always like this?
It does seem volatile now but we have seen the arrival of SO MANY so-called upscale casual chains (Zona Rosa, Legends and the corridor way down south that, if it has a name, I don't know it).  Not that they draw the same folks but there have been a lot of new locals open on 39th in the last year or two as well.  It's bound to have some affect on the market.  Tommy was competing with Circe, Room 39, Thomas, the latest Indian place, Jazz, Bell St Mama's and on and on.  Not that the food was the same but in the sense of "let's go out to eat, we're near 39th, where shall we go".

Sorry to see him go but I bet we haven't heard the last of him.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

rigatonicarloni wrote: It does seem volatile now but we have seen the arrival of SO MANY so-called upscale casual chains (Zona Rosa, Legends and the corridor way down south that, if it has a name, I don't know it).  Not that they draw the same folks but there have been a lot of new locals open on 39th in the last year or two as well.  It's bound to have some affect on the market.  Tommy was competing with Circe, Room 39, Thomas, the latest Indian place, Jazz, Bell St Mama's and on and on.  Not that the food was the same but in the sense of "let's go out to eat, we're near 39th, where shall we go".

Sorry to see him go but I bet we haven't heard the last of him.
Every time we had ever gone there the place was packed.  Sad to see it go...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

midtown guy wrote: Every time we had ever gone there the place was packed.  Sad to see it go...
Yeah, it always seemed super busy to me, too. Here's hoping Tommy will do something else soon...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

I heard the owner was on crack.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I heard the owner was on crack
That sounds like a reliable source.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Macaluso's has been replaced and will reopen this week. From the Star:

ne customer called the new look “urban chic.”

But a manager quips that it is a “gourmet good ol’ boy” place.

Scott Warren, former chef at Macaluso’s, has reopened in the redecorated space, renaming it Scotty’s on 39th Street.

The restaurant at 1403 W. 39th St. is more open than the dark but cozy Macaluso’s. Warren knocked out a wall between the dining areas and uses lots of bright oranges, greens and reds instead of dark wood. Customers also can dine by large picture windows along 39th Street.

One manager joked that Macaluso’s “square” meals were what most people ate in a week. Warren admits the new menu is a bit on the lighter, healthier side with some old favorites — such as Maryland crab cakes and rack of lamb — and some new, including marinated frog legs, smoked salmon, double-cut pork chops, stewed half chicken and three-egg omelets.

Linda Van Horn, who had been a customer of Macaluso’s for more than a decade, was walking by last week and decided to make reservations for Friday’s opening.

The change in ownership and decor was fine with her as long as Warren was still in charge of the kitchen.

“I’m a fan of Scotty’s,” she said.

Macaluso’s closed in early February after nearly 14 years.

Scotty’s has a private dining room that is the smoking area. The restaurant is nonsmoking.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Scotty's = closed.

Someone needs to make this spot work.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCMax wrote: Scotty's = closed.

Someone needs to make this spot work.
You imply the spot is broken.  Macaluso's thrived for years in this spot.  Just because Scotty's didn't last long does not mean it's a cursed spot.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I live a block away from Macaluso's/Scotty's and walk or drive by daily.  As Scotty's, this place was never busy...EVER.  You knew something was wrong when they placed a banner over the entry saying that if you brought in a date you could get a Buy 1, Get 1 deal.

No reason someone with a decent business plan couldn't make this place work.

On a side note, the building/house two spaces east of the bakery is no more - was the name Crave Cafe (cafe/breakfast place)?  With so many places closing on the 39th strip, I hope there will be an influx of UNIQUE places.

Open storefronts:
Crave Cafe (name?)
Scotty's
Ballet school
Place between Taj Palace and Nail Salon
Mama's
Qdoba (scheduled for demolish/rebuild)
Mama Habiba
Building between Roca Salon and record store
Freaks on 39th
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Crave Cafe is not vacant, it's already being renovated for a new coffee house.  Qdoba is also spoken for.  It will be a mid-rise building with condos, street-level retail, and parking hidden in the rear.

Mama's and Freaks are owned by Miss Mia, the owner of the liquor store in between those two spaces.  The rumor is that she kicked Mama's out so she could expand the liquor store or put a new business in there.