Hamburger Mary's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Hamburger Mary's

Post by KC Sporting Life »

FangKC wrote: The other space is the Flo's Cabaret space. Isn't it closing due to Flo not being able to get an extended liquor license?

Flo's has already been taken over and re-opened as The Rhythm Lounge.  I went in last week during the blizzard to see what they've done with the space.  They've done some minor remodeling, and were planning on a soft opening on First Friday.  Anyone here check it out yet?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

dangerboy wrote: Actually I think it is possible for a tenant to get booted out when the bank forecloses on the landlord.  In the residential market this was becoming a problem with renters getting put out on the street when the bank seized a property from a delinquent landlord.  Missouri recently passed a new law to address this situation, but I don't if it applies to commercial tenants.
I'm outside my expertise, but I have been told that many such residential tenants were operating under verbal tenancy.    Also second hand, I'm told that people were being pushed out with valid leases by heavy handed mortgage companies.

Any JD's out there with the facts as they generally pertain to MO and KS?

Why would anyone open a restaurant with the investment and effort required, when their investment could be lost without cause or recourse?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

loftguy wrote: I believe you are mistaken in this assessment.  Bankruptcy can relieve a bankrupt tenant from rental obligations, but I am not aware of an example determining that a tenants lease can be voided as result of property owner bankruptcy. 
From my limited background and experience a rental agreement is a contract between owner A and renter Z.  Through bankruptcy if ownership transfers to owner B there is no agreement between B and Z.  The responsibilites on the contract can be voided by the bankruptcy court (that is one of the responsibilities of the court, to release contract agreements as allowed by laws governing bankruptcy) especially if owner B's intent for the property is a condition of the bid.

If ownership doesn't change then it is quite possible that a tenant cannot be kicked out.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm in no way a lawyer but a quick google search pulled this article which seems to say section 365 of the bankruptcy code gives the tenant protection of their lease.

Www.vsb.com/sections/rp/articles/schroll.HTML
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

Leases generally are terminated by foreclosure if the mortgage pre-dates the lease. 
KCAppraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCAppraiser »

Seems like I see tenants getting evicted all the time after foreclosure.  Don't know if it is the same with commercial property though.  Dangerboy, do you have any info on the new law?  I have not heard about it yet and would like to know more.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Riveting discussion here... :lol:
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Pitch is reporting that HM's is asking for lease extension so they don't have to move at the end of the month, but the landlord already has another tenant lined up. There was also talk of locations throughout "the metro" trying to land them.

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2011/02/ ... moving.php
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Move to the burbs and they will fail.....the owners aren't that out of touch.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Move to the burbs and they will fail.....the owners aren't that out of touch.
huh? But Adams Dairy Landing and Mission Farms are calling their name.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not sure what you are confused about.

I expect them to stay between the river and 47th street.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: huh? But Adams Dairy Landing and Mission Farms are calling their name.
I heard Olathe was offering them tax breaks to move to the Big Ass Mall.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

They belong in E Xroads but they need a space that can emulate the 3 different feels of the current place.... outdoor bar, indoor bar and open restaurant.  I've only been a couple times in evening and they had events going on in all 3 areas... drag bingo in restaurant, tarot card reading downstairs bar and butt thumping party music on upper deck.  If they can't maintain the 3 feels, it just won't be the same.  I'd think they could do cool things with the John's Deck space near library.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

dangerboy wrote: I heard Olathe was offering them tax breaks to move to the Big Ass Mall.
I would love to see the confused look on conservative Olatheans coming to HM for a burger after church.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

ignatius wrote: and butt thumping party music on upper deck. 
This provided my laugh out loud moment of the day............
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote: I heard Olathe was offering them tax breaks to move to the Big Ass Mall.
I've actually heard they're looking at space next to the Olive Garden by the Speedway.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Yeah right.

Downtown KCK would be cool though. HM's may have enough draw to serve as a seed there.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The best location is the old Jared Allen restaurant on SW Blvd across from la bodega, anyone remember the jared allen commercials for that restaurants, Wine Em, Dine Em, 69 Em
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

considering the kind of restaurant graveyard that location has been for years, I question the new owner's judgment.  I don't know, but HM seemed to be doing well and, well,  abird in the hand and so  on
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kansas wrote: considering the kind of restaurant graveyard that location has been for years, I question the new owner's judgment.  I don't know, but HM seemed to be doing well and, well,   abird in the hand and so  on
that location is a terrible idea. i'm not superstitious, but there must be something about that structure (ownership, parking, whatever) that makes it a merry-go-round of fail.