Hamburger Mary's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Hamburger Mary's

Post by geeman68 »

I got some information.  The landlord didn't pay the taxes on the property for 2 years thus he had to release it back to the lender which is a private individual.  That person wanted to renegotiate the lease terms which were very unfavorable but to the point I think was wanting HM's to leave so they could open their own restaurant (which I will not go to). 

HM is looking for alternatives but most likely will have to rehab and reopen elsewhere.  UGH!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

bobbyhawks wrote: Then, ideally, HM's would find a new place nearby to rennovate, and someone would come in willing to pay higher rent at the old location due to the deck area?  Just trying to find the silver lining... that building has endured a series of odd situations over the last 5 years.

Daddy's?
part of the dilemma of having an extremely stagnant development picture downtown for office and retail is that whenever stuff like this happens where you need to move quickly or expand...there are usually only 0-3 potential options.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Isn't HM based in SF?  If company owned, I don't seem them looking for a new location and would leave KC.  If it's a locally owned franchise, perhaps they'll find a new location.  Doesn't make sense though that the new owner would kick out a reasonably successful tenant.  
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

It'll be hard to find a location with a deck that's comparable to the current place. Very sad for Eric and everyone who spent so much time and money getting Mary's up and running. It's tough for a restaurant/bar to make money if they have to keep spending money fixing a new place up. If they have to relocate, do they have to go through the whole liquor license process again too?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

ignatius wrote: Isn't HM based in SF?  If company owned, I don't seem them looking for a new location and would leave KC.  If it's a locally owned franchise, perhaps they'll find a new location.  Doesn't make sense though that the new owner would kick out a reasonably successful tenant.  
Its not that, from what I'm being told.  The original lender wanted to renegotiate the lease terms with HM but with some very bad clauses and terms.  HM believes that they want to open their own restaurant.  Eric actually wanted to buy the building but ran into a road block when they discovered it was an individual and not a bank.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hm is a local franchise owned by martini corner peeps. Maybe they should take the old db?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Hm is a local franchise owned by martini corner peeps. Maybe they should take the old db?
Weren't there issues trying to get a new liquor license at that location for some reason?

I'd actually like to see them go to the Martini Corner/Union Hill/Dutch Hill/Longfellow/Dutch Hill area. Maybe get more of a "scene" going down there...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think they are a great crossroads cornerstone bar.

ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

I fear that any location will be a disappointment compared to where they're at now. That place just seems PERFECT. That patio in the summer is so much fun! Hopefully they can work something out.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Doesn't Ralf own this building who owned Smokin Joes? And if that's the case he bought Johns upper Deck.. And if that's the case...... Well. Ya know. I'd really hate to see this bar leave the XRDS it is a good anchor and always pleased to see the support they get at night when the rest of the area is DEAD.
P&L Free since 2008
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: what about the Caliente space?  (or is something in there now?)  it's already garishly-colored too!
it is currently the hemingway gallery.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

KCPowercat wrote: Hm is a local franchise owned by martini corner peeps. Maybe they should take the old db?
this indicates to me that it is based elsewhere.
http://www.hamburgermarys.com/marysmen/
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I wasn't saying the concept owner is here, just the franchisee is local.

http://www.pitch.com/2010-03-11/restaur ... y-burgers/

KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

droopy wrote:
I can't figure out what is worse, landlords chasing out tenants or business owners signing leases that allows for such flexibility/power on the landlords part.  Is this normal?  I have no experience with this and maybe it's common practice.  I'm thinking Peachtree, the Westport church, now Hamburger Mary...

No way this is normal, at least it shouldn't be.  We went through several months of tedious negotiations to make sure everyone was happy with the lease and to make sure we're protected.  Our building is currently for sale, but if someone buys it they will be subject to our lease, which runs 7 years.  They won't be able to jack up the rent or kick us out.  This is actually a bonus for a potential new owner, as it's guaranteed income. 

This sucks though.  I've also always loved that building, it's in a great location with a fantastic deck.  I really thought HM was here to stay.  I hope they find another spot here in the Crossroads.  But where does this leave that building? 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC Sporting Life wrote:
No way this is normal, at least it shouldn't be.  We went through several months of tedious negotiations to make sure everyone was happy with the lease and to make sure we're protected.  Our building is currently for sale, but if someone buys it they will be subject to our lease, which runs 7 years.  They won't be able to jack up the rent or kick us out.  This is actually a bonus for a potential new owner, as it's guaranteed income. 
Don't know the particulars in this case but if the landowner was behind in property taxes he verylikely was behind in other payments.  In that case it could go through bankruptcy and the lender secured ownership.  And bankruptcy can void any and all rental agreements.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can think of some places they could move that might already be set up for a restaurant.  Didn't the Hereford House run Prime Rib Grill close that was in the Paddy O'Quigley's space?  That might be an option.

The other space is the Flo's Cabaret space. Isn't it closing due to Flo not being able to get an extended liquor license?

Outside of Downtown, they could also move into the Mama's space at 39th and Southwest Trafficway.
There is no fifth destination.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

FangKC wrote: The other space is the Flo's Cabaret space. Isn't it closing due to Flo not being able to get an extended liquor license?
I am under the impression that a liquor license is not transferable from one location to another.  Don't know the reason for not able to get the extended license but those conditions would also apply to HM.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

He said nothing of transferring a liquor license.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Don't know the particulars in this case but if the landowner was behind in property taxes he verylikely was behind in other payments.  In that case it could go through bankruptcy and the lender secured ownership.  And bankruptcy can void any and all rental agreements.
I believe you are mistaken in this assessment.  Bankruptcy can relieve a bankrupt tenant from rental obligations, but I am not aware of an example determining that a tenants lease can be voided as result of property owner bankruptcy. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

loftguy wrote: I believe you are mistaken in this assessment.  Bankruptcy can relieve a bankrupt tenant from rental obligations, but I am not aware of an example determining that a tenants lease can be voided as result of property owner bankruptcy. 
Actually I think it is possible for a tenant to get booted out when the bank forecloses on the landlord.  In the residential market this was becoming a problem with renters getting put out on the street when the bank seized a property from a delinquent landlord.  Missouri recently passed a new law to address this situation, but I don't if it applies to commercial tenants.