Off beaten path dive bars

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Off beaten path dive bars

Post by loftguy »

The debate about Grinders causes me to think about favorite dive bars that are off the radar.

My vote goes to Helen's Log Cabin at about 5800 St. John.

I'm talking places that anyone can walk in to.  Don't want to get anyone killed here.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Off beaten path dive bars

Post by chrizow »

are you talking about "Karen's Kozy Cabin?"  on st. john not too far from van brunt?  that place looks awesome.  have you been there?
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

I've been wanting to try Karen's Kozy Cabin for a long time. What's the crowd like?
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Just west of Van Brunt it used to be called Pat's log cabin in the 80's. It was a fun place back then only seated about 10 to 15 people including standing room. It seem strange to have all these new people rediscover the northeast now it must become hip and trendy. OMG the hood is being taken over by tourist and hippies!
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Sorry, Karen's........  It was Jodies Log Cabin in the 70's.  It's been around since the 30's so maybe a few other historic names can be found.

They've added on a pool room, but they have managed to not ruin the place.  Every piece of life floats thru this little shack.  Mostly lower to middle wage earners, but everyone, as long as they are civil, is welcome here. After an hour or so, it's hard to buy your own drink.  At their prices, you might find yourself feeling generous, too.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I tried Karen's Kozy Kabin a few months ago... nice little place.  The bar seats approximately six and was full when I was there so I had to stand.    They recently put a ramshackle roof over what was once the beer garden so that they could have a pool table.  There's still a small patio left in back.

I also enjoyed the Stardust Club at 18th & Minnesota in KCK.  It's one of those places where you have to be buzzed in.  Friendly owner, good food. 

Pat's Pub on Swift in NKC isn't too bad, Pat's a pretty nice lady.

What's Happening Lounge at 85th(?) and Prospect serves the coldest tap beer I've ever had that wasn't frozen.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

i used to drink pretty regularly at karen's kozy cabin (with a "c", by the way).  while i liked it, i don't know that it is the coziest bar for the unitiated.  tom's bigger jigger is my favorite bar in northeast, but i think that all the bars up there pretty much qualify as true dive bars.  so if you think dave's stagecoach is a dive, maybe it's best you avoid northeast bars until you grow a few whiskers.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Karen's recently re-modeled, adding a few more seats to their cramped quarters. Totally re-vamped the kitchen too. Have yet to go in and sample the new motif.
Tom's Bigger Jigger at Belmont & St. John is a good dive. Friendly, neighborhood folks.
The Askew is a nice joint too. We prefer to refer to it as "the 3600 club" given its address is 3600 Independence Avenue. The Mortilarro brothers serve some icecold suds and good, old school Northeast hospitality.

Sportster
...cold beer here! 8) 8)
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

403 club in KCK- just off I-670.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

Scoot! What about Zoo bar! 14th and, what, Oak???
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

sethyg wrote: Scoot! What about Zoo bar! 14th and, what, Oak???
mcgee!

awesome.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

the stables, where pbr is still appropriately priced.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chingon wrote: the stables, where pbr is still appropriately priced.
$1.50???
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

yes.  inflation is a bummer, i know.  but about half the time i order a pbr, its $2.50.  which is borderline offensive.
eternalvibe
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by eternalvibe »

There's a place sitting UNDER Truman Road, near 435 where truman is on stilts while a less driven road runs right under it.  It's just East of Oakland Ave & if you're coming from the East you'll have to drive over the Truman Bridge & exit on the West side & then backtrack.  Even I decided against braving it solo, and this was at like 5pm while the sun was still out.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  Anyway, it felt very off the beaten path, with a roughian underground air about it with it's setting alone.
The political and commercial morals of the United States are not merely food for laughter, they are an entire banquet-mark twain
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

i'll check it out tomorrow.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

sethyg wrote: Scoot! What about Zoo bar! 14th and, what, Oak???
DUH!!!!  How could I forget????  McGee between 12th & 13th, west side, southernmost sliver of the building it's in.  :)

A couple of more recent dives I hit up:

Back Door Lounge - River Bend, MO... on the back side of a gas station near 291 & 210.  Interesting in that it was decorated with hornet nests and beer is served in high school branded beer mugs.

VFW #4043 - Liberty, MO... this one would drive the people who want to make everyone else stop smoking absolutely nuts, you open the door and a fog bank rolls at you.  :)
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

eternalvibe wrote: There's a place sitting UNDER Truman Road, near 435 where truman is on stilts while a less driven road runs right under it.  It's just East of Oakland Ave & if you're coming from the East you'll have to drive over the Truman Bridge & exit on the West side & then backtrack.  Even I decided against braving it solo, and this was at like 5pm while the sun was still out.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  Anyway, it felt very off the beaten path, with a roughian underground air about it with it's setting alone.
I'm so there.
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

eternalvibe wrote: There's a place sitting UNDER Truman Road, near 435 where truman is on stilts while a less driven road runs right under it.  It's just East of Oakland Ave & if you're coming from the East you'll have to drive over the Truman Bridge & exit on the West side & then backtrack.  Even I decided against braving it solo, and this was at like 5pm while the sun was still out.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  Anyway, it felt very off the beaten path, with a roughian underground air about it with it's setting alone.
That'd be The Red Lantern or The Coachlight Bar. Another blue collar, neighborhood joint. I was told once who runs it but can't remember now what the name was. It was old school Northeast I do remember that. Never been there - wouldn't mind goin. Looks like an interesting joint.

Sportster
...cold beer is never a bad thing
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

Sportster wrote: Tom's Bigger Jigger at Belmont & St. John is a good dive.
Wow - that place has been there forever.  I remember as a kid (which was a LONG time ago) spending time at my grandparents house just down the hill from Indian Mound.  We'd go over to the Montgomery Wards all the time.  Once, while waiting for my dad to bring the car around during a thunderstorm, this lady was on the pay phone just inside the door attempting to explain to someone where the heck she was so they could come pick her up.

She went through endless explanations of what roads to turn on with no comprehension on the other end.  Finally, in exasperation, she says "I'm at the Wards across from the Bigger Jigger... OK, see you soon."

Its all about knowing the landmarks.