1118 McGee St

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: 1118 McGee St

Post by KCTigerFan »

Stop filling up the internets tubes.  You know they get filled and it clogs up the internets.  :lol:

Good to see that the Studio project is moving forward.  It looks like a small investor project.  Here's wishing them good luck!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Opens later this month according to Joyce Smith:

Studio Restaurant & Bar will be the first operation to open in the renovated Louis-Curtis building at 1118 McGee St. later this month. The building’s five levels will eventually house a full bar, dance floor, stage with live entertainment, cigar room, game area, conference room, banquet and private party area, and bed and breakfast.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Opens later this month according to Joyce Smith:

Studio Restaurant & Bar will be the first operation to open in the renovated Louis-Curtis building at 1118 McGee St. later this month. The building’s five levels will eventually house a full bar, dance floor, stage with live entertainment, cigar room, game area, conference room, banquet and private party area, and bed and breakfast.
jeez, another can't-make-up-their-mind-what-they-wanna-be-when-they-grow-up establishment. i think the B&B needs to go, or lose the dance floor/live music. what an awful combination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I like all the levels except a bed and breakfast...seems weird.  KC actually needs a multi-level super bar IMO.  John's Deck is kind of like that, but it's all dive bar.

I went by this place today....inside looking good, hard to see in, the outside is still pretty messy...man McGee is going to be a strange street from about 10th to the arena....actually it's always been strange anyways.  I could see this block being problems with spin off crime from all the people coming down to the arena/P&L....until CWB does something with the block.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

interior shot (taken through the glass front door):

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Future of downtown bar — and Downtown Pizza — is in limbo
The glass door to Social, the urban gay bar at 1118 McGee, was locked 30 minutes ago. It might open again tonight — then again, it might be closed for an extended period of time. Possibly, forever. There's a problem — a matter of back rent owed by the club's owner, Mike Flinn, to the building's owners. Rumors flew over the internet earlier today that two other local bars were interested in the space.

"It could be open tonight," says one of the pizzeria's employees. "We're waiting to hear from Mike."

The restaurant's future puts Andy Skeen, owner of the 18-month-old Downtown Pizza, which Skeen had operated out of Social's kitchen, in limbo.

"I don't know if I'm still in business here, what I should be telling my employees, whether I should be looking for a new location for my business," says Skeen, looking very frustrated. "I only found out about this two hours ago."
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

From what I hear, Social was going to be closing anyway. Wonder what kind of places are looking to take over the space.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I heard a rumor a few days ago that this space is reopening soon as a music venue that would also occasionally have outdoor concerts in the street (closing McGee from 11th to 12th like The Social did once or twice). I remembered just now to do a liquor license search and it turned up a new application under the name "Prohibition Hall". Searching for that brings up this work-in-progress web site: http://www.prohibitionhall.com, as well as a related site that relates to the outdoor concert series: http://mcgeestreetevents.com/. The first outdoor show is set for April 24.

I wonder how long they'll be able to do those street-closing concerts after the Argyle opens?

(Also, I think I saw this mentioned elsewhere, but Downtown Pizza moved to whatever the place is called now that used to be Willie's.)
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

scooterj wrote:I heard a rumor a few days ago that this space is reopening soon as a music venue that would also occasionally have outdoor concerts in the street (closing McGee from 11th to 12th like The Social did once or twice). I remembered just now to do a liquor license search and it turned up a new application under the name "Prohibition Hall". Searching for that brings up this work-in-progress web site: http://www.prohibitionhall.com, as well as a related site that relates to the outdoor concert series: http://mcgeestreetevents.com/. The first outdoor show is set for April 24.

I wonder how long they'll be able to do those street-closing concerts after the Argyle opens?

(Also, I think I saw this mentioned elsewhere, but Downtown Pizza moved to whatever the place is called now that used to be Willie's.)
That is some fine detective work scooter.

The place sounds pretty cool. I look forward to checking it out.

I love not being able to keep up with the amount of new food/drink/music/etc establisments coming online in KC. This is the first time i've experienced something like that in here.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

kboish wrote:I love not being able to keep up with the amount of new food/drink/music/etc establisments coming online in KC. This is the first time i've experienced something like that in here.
On a related note, I'm enjoying coming across construction sites and having no idea what they are -- far too many of those to keep track of too! :)
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Excellent news. Interesting shows, not A-listers, but not nobodies. I like a street party and am happy to see Curtiss' building getting some more life.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

scooterj wrote:I heard a rumor a few days ago that this space is reopening soon as a music venue that would also occasionally have outdoor concerts in the street (closing McGee from 11th to 12th like The Social did once or twice). I remembered just now to do a liquor license search and it turned up a new application under the name "Prohibition Hall". Searching for that brings up this work-in-progress web site: http://www.prohibitionhall.com, as well as a related site that relates to the outdoor concert series: http://mcgeestreetevents.com/. The first outdoor show is set for April 24.

Hmm...first outdoor shows are same days as Middle of the Map. I'm guessing fans of The Bacon Brothers not interested in MOTM or vice versa.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

that's a terrible idea with a residential development in progress across the street.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I noticed this morning that the barricades were up and setup was underway. Rumor has it they had sold 5,000 tickets as of the start of this week. If that's true it's going to be quite a mess around there, assuming they don't get stormed out. (Should make for some nice spill-over business for Zoo Bar though.)

The bar itself doesn't look like it's ready to open yet, apparently only select guests/VIPs will be allowed indoors, drink service will all be outside. But they have permits lined up for outdoor festivals throughout the summer.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

Anyone check this out over the weekend? Interested to hear how it worked out....
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Just saw a band on Twitter promoting an April 4th show at "KC's Newest Music Venue".

www.prohibitionhall.com
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kucer wrote:Just saw a band on Twitter promoting an April 4th show at "KC's Newest Music Venue".

http://www.prohibitionhall.com
there's a sign on the front of the building.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

DaveKCMO wrote:
kucer wrote:Just saw a band on Twitter promoting an April 4th show at "KC's Newest Music Venue".

http://www.prohibitionhall.com
there's a sign on the front of the building.
Could you tweet it for me?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

They had a semi-private soft opening back in October, then finally opened for real a few weeks ago. There were some initial hiccups involving the beer kegs but I think that's been fixed. I haven't been in yet but they had a big blues event last Thursday that a friend of mine went to and she said it looked great inside.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Wish Curtiss' studio would get a more extensive renovation. Those upper floors are looking pretty empty.