Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by Highlander »

herrfrank wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:49 pm
gamblinggal wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:24 pm Anyone have a picture of
Paul’s Bar

224 West 12th St
Kcmo
This would have been among the buildings demolished around 1984 for the current Marriott DT (not the newer Muehlebach addition, but the old Vista hotel). This was a big early 1980s redevelopment scheme, Mayor Berkeley era.
All in all, a pretty successful redevelopment scheme by KC standards. Despite being on 12th street, that area was a pretty forgotten corner of downtown and the only occasion most ever had to go there were events at the MA and CC. I like the look of Barney Allis Plaza now with the Marriot and the 12 Wyandotte tower along with the other two hotels. BAP could be better integrated for certain (how to do that has been a lengthy discussion) but it's one place where some investment by the city to get the Vista hotel built and BAP renovated has paid dividends.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by KCKev »

Highlander wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:52 pm
herrfrank wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:49 pm
gamblinggal wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:24 pm Anyone have a picture of
Paul’s Bar

224 West 12th St
Kcmo
This would have been among the buildings demolished around 1984 for the current Marriott DT (not the newer Muehlebach addition, but the old Vista hotel). This was a big early 1980s redevelopment scheme, Mayor Berkeley era.
All in all, a pretty successful redevelopment scheme by KC standards. Despite being on 12th street, that area was a pretty forgotten corner of downtown and the only occasion most ever had to go there were events at the MA and CC. I like the look of Barney Allis Plaza now with the Marriot and the 12 Wyandotte tower along with the other two hotels. BAP could be better integrated for certain (how to do that has been a lengthy discussion) but it's one place where some investment by the city to get the Vista hotel built and BAP renovated has paid dividends.
Forgotten how? By non residents? I lived 5 blocks from there and played at the fountain in Barney Allis Plaza every day as well as walked 12th street all the time. Even at a young age I never felt in danger even with the adult strip clubs/gay bars all along that block. Wasn't raised with a gender phobia so felt very safe downtown. In my mind, all of that development has taken my safe place away for highways and hotels😕
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!