Whataburger

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Whataburger

Post by GRID »

Elliot in the morning on DC 101, a popular radio morning show in DC spent all morning talking about the crazy Whataburger lines in KC. It was quite entertaining. Elliot is from Dallas I think, so that's probably why he brought it up.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:17 pm I read Wienerschnitzel is looking to come back to Kansas City. They used to have restaurants in Missouri when I was a kid, then left. It was called Der Wienerschnitzel then.

The founder is from Grandview, MO.

I think this used to be one of their restaurants at Linwood and Broadway. I think they had one on Prospect too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0675314 ... 384!8i8192

https://www.restaurantnews.com/john-gal ... sses-away/

https://www.wienerschnitzel.com/
The picture has the address of 8100 Prospect so definitely one there and I remember it well having grown up several blocks to the north. It lasted a long time for a Der Wienerschnitzel and may have been the last to close in the area. It was at the intersection of Prospect and Hickman Mills Drive. To be honest, I didn't know the chain was still in business.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Where should this be moved? It keeps lighting up the rumor board and I get excited there is a new rumor and it's just this trash burger topic.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Whataburger going full suburbanite: https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 52272.html

So Whataburger guy basically all but says "yeah your downtown core sucks and doesn't deserve a store...but OP sure does!" What a dipshit.

Article:

"Some area fans are unhappy that an urban location has yet to be announced, and area real estate sources say it could be awhile before one opens in the heart of the metro.

David M. Block, president of Block & Co. Inc. Realtors, said Whataburger wants to be near schools and students who like fast food restaurants, and is looking for daytime and nighttime traffic.

“In the inner city what you have is what you have. There is not a lot of expectation of future expansive residential growth and school age kids,” he said. “If they can nail down a good area with a long-term growth viability they will not only get the kids, they will get them when they become adults. It also is often easier to find available land in the suburbs, and the areas offer easy access to the interstate."

Ok I take it back, Whataburger is dumb. Has this guy ever seen a Poncho's, Winsteads, McDonalds drive-thru at nightime in the urban core? The lines are endless all night and in JoCo all places close at 10pm. Wtf is this guy talking about?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:45 pm Whataburger going full suburbanite: https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 52272.html

So Whataburger guy basically all but says "yeah your downtown core sucks and doesn't deserve a store...but OP sure does!" What a dipshit.

Article:

"Some area fans are unhappy that an urban location has yet to be announced, and area real estate sources say it could be awhile before one opens in the heart of the metro.

David M. Block, president of Block & Co. Inc. Realtors, said Whataburger wants to be near schools and students who like fast food restaurants, and is looking for daytime and nighttime traffic.

“In the inner city what you have is what you have. There is not a lot of expectation of future expansive residential growth and school age kids,” he said. “If they can nail down a good area with a long-term growth viability they will not only get the kids, they will get them when they become adults. It also is often easier to find available land in the suburbs, and the areas offer easy access to the interstate."

Ok I take it back, Whataburger is dumb. Has this guy ever seen a Poncho's, Winsteads, McDonalds drive-thru at nightime in the urban core? The lines are endless all night and in JoCo all places close at 10pm. Wtf is this guy talking about?
It’s a Texas FF Chain, what’d you expect? Texas is a literal suburban, car centric hellscape, that’s all these people know how to design or plan for.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are locations that fit: former Burger King building on the NE corner of Troost and Cleaver Boulevard; and the vacant lot on SW corner of Troost and Brush Creek (both near Paseo Acacdemy, UMKC, Rockhurst). There's also a pad site available on Linwood in front of Home Depot.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

They don't want the school kids as customers, they want them for cheap labor.
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

<dons asbestos suit>
I like Whataburger. They don't drown everything in (barf) ketchup like McDonalds, and their burgers have actual meat in them. I can get a burger with cheese, mustard, lettuce and pickles and without (gag) Thousand Island dressing.

Steak & Shake just opened in West Des Moines a few months ago, and the same insanity occurred - they had to have police direct traffic around the restaurant for the first couple of days. Having lived in St. Louis, I don't understand the attraction - they have "meat doily" patties that are almost thin enough to see through.

I think this has more to do with the unfamiliar. When a new chain opens up in an area where they have not previously been located, everyone tries them and thinks they're great because they're new. Once the newness wears off, the lines go away and things calm down.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

It's a slow news day so I'm just gonna post this:

Whataburger opened their first Kansas location this week, and their third in the KC metro now.

My hot take is that the big thing about getting Whataburger's (other than the fact its exclusive) is that we NEED more 24-hr drive thru's in KC metro so badly. Since Covid, we've lost almost all of them. Especially in JoCo. If you want food after 10pm in a drive thru you're screwed. So I think the big value KC is getting out of this is the ability to get food around the clock. Good quality 24 hr food is an underrated asset to have.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

It's not just here, a lot of late night NYC stuff I love isn't staying open late these days either while I was there 2 weeks ago.

We lost a lot of 24 hour stores & everything. Hyvee did it before the pandemic but it's still a loss.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:28 pm It's a slow news day so I'm just gonna post this:

Whataburger opened their first Kansas location this week, and their third in the KC metro now.

My hot take is that the big thing about getting Whataburger's (other than the fact its exclusive) is that we NEED more 24-hr drive thru's in KC metro so badly. Since Covid, we've lost almost all of them. Especially in JoCo. If you want food after 10pm in a drive thru you're screwed. So I think the big value KC is getting out of this is the ability to get food around the clock. Good quality 24 hr food is an underrated asset to have.
It's not if a Baseball or Snow fan.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

wouldn't there be more demand for 24 drive thru's in the urban core? something Whataburger is ignoring
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

ericwyner wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 am wouldn't there be more demand for 24 drive thru's in the urban core? something Whataburger is ignoring
Yes, but atleast we have a few in the urban core (that even stayed 24/7 through the pandemic) like Winsteads, Panchos, McDonalds, etc. The JoCo sphere was severely lacking past 10pm. Urban core could certainly use more though, even though we have some. Put one in the core!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's probably a staffing issue.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Overland Park has lots of Drive-Thru's but like Olathe doesn't.
davidc
Pad site
Pad site

Post by davidc »

I'm a North Overland Park resident that works very late.
After midnight you have Taco Bell until 1 or 2am.
After that its Pancho's or QuickTrip.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

ericwyner wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:02 am wouldn't there be more demand for 24 drive thru's in the urban core? something Whataburger is ignoring
Drive thru's should be banned in the urban core
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:48 pm
Drive thru's should be banned in the urban core
Interesting idea. How could we pull that off though?
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Pretty sure St Louis and Minneapolis have significant areas where they are not permitting new drive through business already