wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I would like to see that building and the lot behind it redeveloped. Well, mostly just the lot developed. That price is awfully high for a tear down in that location. I'm surprised Quick Trip was supposedly interested in it.

In other 39th St news - not sure if this has been discussed here- but Bob Wasabi is moving. They are being forced out when their lease is up because "the landlord has other plans for their property". I remember someone posted a rumor here a while back that this strip mall was going to be redeveloped. Perhaps that is moving forward.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:34 pm
I would like to see that building and the lot behind it redeveloped. Well, mostly just the lot developed. That price is awfully high for a tear down in that location. I'm surprised Quick Trip was supposedly interested in it.

In other 39th St news - not sure if this has been discussed here- but Bob Wasabi is moving. They are being forced out when their lease is up because "the landlord has other plans for their property". I remember someone posted a rumor here a while back that this strip mall was going to be redeveloped. Perhaps that is moving forward.
Oh that's great to hear re: Bob's the word on the street was they were closing so very glad that isn't the case.

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

As far as I know, Bob's doesn't have a new space yet, but it sounds like they are looking for one. Hopefully they get an upgraded spot and that strip gets redeveloped. Win win.

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:57 pm
As far as I know, Bob's doesn't have a new space yet, but it sounds like they are looking for one. Hopefully they get an upgraded spot and that strip gets redeveloped. Win win.
Does Nara space make sense?

herrfrank
New York Life
New York Life

Post by herrfrank »

Chris Stritzel wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:18 pm
3822 Summit is for sale for $5 Million. I would say this would make a good multi-family renovation, but the price is very high and the building is pretty small (in my view) to justify the cost.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3822-Su ... /22429958/
The listing implies that the current tenants pay $1.4M per year in rent. Is Uniformed Benefit moving out? If they're staying, the price might be justifiable. Why doesn't the tenant own the building? I had a job interview there a LONG time ago, like in the 1980s, and the interiors look the same LOL.

taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:16 pm
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:57 pm
Does Nara space make sense?
As far as I know, there are no real improvements planned for the strip center and not renewing their lease was a bonehead move.
I ate at Bob's last night. I know it's subjective, just like everyone thinks their chiropractor is the best, but Bob Wasabi is consistently the best sushi I've had in KC. And anywhere else, for that matter. They have not found a new space yet but hope to land not far from their current location. I think their last day is May 8th.

brewcrew1000
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A spot Bob's should consider is the old Drop space on 31st, that place has been vacant for awhile

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am
A spot Bob's should consider is the old Drop space on 31st, that place has been vacant for awhile
That's actually a good idea. I think that place has a small kitchen so probably wouldn't go well for most restaurants, something not necessary for a sushi place. It has a bar and separate eating area and is in a location that seems to be picking up.

dukuboy1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by dukuboy1 »

Really hope Bob's will find a new space and re-open. I agree with taxi it is by far one of the best sushi places in KC. Top 3 IMO, and like he mentioned very consistent. Would love to see them in Martini corner at the old Drop spot. If they could stay kind of in that Westport area that would be great. I think they have enough of a loyal following that people will go to him, provided they stay in the same general area. If they moved to the "burbs" (I don't see that happening) they would lose some of the original patrons but most likely gain new ones. At any rate I hope he can make it work and continue to offer his wonderful sushi to the masses.

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Tower Tavern started doing work on The Drop space pre-Covid. Original plans were for event space. Not sure what the Pandemic has done to those plans.