beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: beer.

Post by kboish »

Here is my list:

West Xroads into SW Blvd
  1. Boulevard (I guess they technically can be included)
  2. Alma Mader
  3. Rochester Brewing

East Xroads
  1. Casual Animal
  2. Nimble
  3. Double Shift
  4. Brewery Emperial
  5. Border
  6. Red Sash
  7. City Barrel
  8. Torn Label

Distillery
  1. Mean Mule
  2. Toms Town
  3. Lifted Spirits
What did i miss?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

smh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:10 am If a person was going to list those 2.5, what would they be?

Top of my list right now, is Alma Mader. Those folks can make a beer.
This hypothetical 2.5 is limited to the Crossroads-area breweries, and may or may not be Torn Label, City Barrel, and .5 of Double Shift (although if they put out more offerings like Surf Doom, they may be upgraded from partial to full credit).

While I consider BKS to be at the tippy-top of a hypothetical metro-wide ranking, Alma Mader is a very strong #2 on that list.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Oak and Steel if you wanted to include TapRooms with great local craft beer, Oak and Steel carries a lot of local stuff, ITap also is pretty decent taproom
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kboish wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:01 am Here is my list:

West Xroads into SW Blvd
  1. Boulevard (I guess they technically can be included)
  2. Alma Mader
  3. Rochester Brewing

East Xroads
  1. Casual Animal
  2. Nimble
  3. Double Shift
  4. Brewery Emperial
  5. Border
  6. Red Sash
  7. City Barrel
  8. Torn Label

Distillery
  1. Mean Mule
  2. Toms Town
  3. Lifted Spirits
What did i miss?
i'll just note, this was not meant to be a ranking, but just a count of breweries. I'd put Torn Label as my tops. Emperial is solid. Border gets most improved award. And I still need to check out Red Sash and Nimble.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Don't forget Strange Days in River Market.

I like it a lot, particularly that 316 Oak.

Edit: I noted that you are only talking Xroads breweries.

Carry on.
Last edited by grovester on Wed May 12, 2021 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm just doing a Xroads list
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah I was limiting it to Xroads because I have a couple friends in town and was going to take them out to lunch and then set them loose on a beer tour while I'm busy. They should make maps!

Strange days is excellent though
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm Yeah I was limiting it to Xroads because I have a couple friends in town and was going to take them out to lunch and then set them loose on a beer tour while I'm busy. They should make maps!

Would be cool to have a streetcar map with breweries on it
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Riverite wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:30 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 pm Yeah I was limiting it to Xroads because I have a couple friends in town and was going to take them out to lunch and then set them loose on a beer tour while I'm busy. They should make maps!

Would be cool to have a streetcar map with breweries on it
Yes it would. BBQ too. A streetcar centered Beer and BBQ trek would be a nice KC tradition. Just need a map to get it going.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Sounds like a KCRag gt is in order. Google maps will have streetcar and BBQ restuarants.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I have a friend visiting KC at the end of September. I mentioned that KC had some great breweries and distilleries in the downtown area and we might want to do a walking trip using the streetcar where appropriate to sample as many of these as we can in an afternoon/evening. Any thoughts on the how to arrange such a walking trip? What breweries to visit and in what order? Any live music at these venues? I thought about using the list Kboish provided earlier in this thread as a start but I've only visited Boulevard so far. Not sure what to expect at the others. Thanks
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Kboish’s list is a good one. Particularly given the walking tour request and neighborhood breakdown. Pull up Google Maps or untappd and do a map search for brewery around 18th and Oak. Enough within walking distance to fill a whole weekend.

Something if feel I need to understand for quality recommendations is what you want to drink as well. I see people recommend BKS and Alma Mader as “the best breweries in KC” all the time. They aren’t my favorites. I don’t particularly like hazy New England IPAs or flavoring in my beers…orange creamsicle peanut butter stout. No thank you. I’m a traditionalist flavor wise. BKS and Alma Mader also don’t have a vibe I connect with much (although I know bks has expanded since I last went there). They just feel colder and loud.

For more a good variety of more traditional styles i find myself at Stockyards (west bottoms) and River Bluff (river market) more often than anywhere else. I love Casual Animal for environment and always find a beer I like as well.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

droopy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:59 pm Kboish’s list is a good one. Particularly given the walking tour request and neighborhood breakdown. Pull up Google Maps or untappd and do a map search for brewery around 18th and Oak. Enough within walking distance to fill a whole weekend.

Something if feel I need to understand for quality recommendations is what you want to drink as well. I see people recommend BKS and Alma Mader as “the best breweries in KC” all the time. They aren’t my favorites. I don’t particularly like hazy New England IPAs or flavoring in my beers…orange creamsicle peanut butter stout. No thank you. I’m a traditionalist flavor wise. BKS and Alma Mader also don’t have a vibe I connect with much (although I know bks has expanded since I last went there). They just feel colder and loud.

For more a good variety of more traditional styles i find myself at Stockyards (west bottoms) and River Bluff (river market) more often than anywhere else. I love Casual Animal for environment and always find a beer I like as well.
I think our taste are more like your tastes. Not much on flavorings or sours. My friend prefers lagers and ales although he's enjoyed some of Boulevard Smokestack beers that I've introduced him to although I do not like some of the barrel aged darker beers they produce. I prefer Ales, lagers and IPA's myself although I do like Belgian style beers like Tank 7.

Thanks for the input. I'll get on Google and focus on that location. River Bluff will be a good place to go using the streetcar.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I just realized, I hope my post didn’t come across as a “just google it” response. I was meaning that tying it in with kbosh’s thorough list you can plan your route.

Strange Days is also in the river market area if you streetcar up there.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I would think between 18th St. environs and River Market that you would have all the beer you could handle.

Once they extend the streetcar to the West Bottoms you can visit Stockyard and listen to Ernest James Zydeco like we did this afternoon!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0951913 ... qnuoexcXr8

I made a map. Let me know what I missed.
Last edited by shinatoo on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:15 am https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0951913 ... qnuoexcXr8

I made a map.
Thanks. That's excellent. Looking at the scale in the lower right, everything on that map looks doable on foot (although I'm not sure how practical it would be to walk to Boulevard or the west bottoms given pedestrian unfriendly streetscapes en route).
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The East Crossroads has one of the densest concentration of breweries...anywhere at this point, and you can easily make an entire day of it in that area alone. Three of them are brewpubs - City Barrel, Brewery Emperial, and Torn Label. Of those three, Torn Label is my favorite for food, but the other two are fine options as well.

Also, while it's not something that's heavily promoted by the business, King G also has a very thoughtful beer selection (and the sandwiches from the deli side are *chef's kiss*).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Highlander wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:58 am
shinatoo wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:15 am https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0951913 ... qnuoexcXr8

I made a map.
Thanks. That's excellent. Looking at the scale in the lower right, everything on that map looks doable on foot (although I'm not sure how practical it would be to walk to Boulevard or the west bottoms given pedestrian unfriendly streetscapes en route).
If you're up for the walk, the sidewalks between Crossroads and SW Blvd/Boulevard are actually in good shape and it is a pretty easy walk. If you elect to take Summit which is a bit of a shortcut, you may find that underpass to be a little dodgy depending. Another option is to take the Broadway viaduct to 25th St and over which is a comfortable walk.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

swid wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:43 am The East Crossroads has one of the densest concentration of breweries...anywhere at this point, and you can easily make an entire day of it in that area alone. Three of them are brewpubs - City Barrel, Brewery Emperial, and Torn Label. Of those three, Torn Label is my favorite for food, but the other two are fine options as well.

Also, while it's not something that's heavily promoted by the business, King G also has a very thoughtful beer selection (and the sandwiches from the deli side are *chef's kiss*).
Not a brewery but I love International Tap House.