OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Re: OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Post by WyCo »

trailerkid wrote: What would you like to see fill the former Linens 'n Things at Legends? I don't like the way that structure cuts off Legends and I would suggest tearing down the LnT/TJX structure and replacing it with smaller shops that build on the existing momentum in the commons area.
They need to put in some additional entertainment venues.  That end is dead.
If they really wanted retail there, they should have had on large store in the middle, so you could see the signage and doors as you walked towards that area, and smaller stores on either side. 
OPIchabod
New York Life
New York Life

Post by OPIchabod »

First, I was under the impression that the Linen's and Things closings were associated with the company's bankruptcy. Given that, I think its a little disingenuous for Justin to crack on Oak Park Mall for losing its store.

Secondly, I think the entertainment/dining quota is about full for the time being around Village West. Its time for a innovative go-kart park to take up residence.

Better yet, how bout Moon Marble opens up a brand new showroom that lets visitors interact with marble creation year-round instead of just at Moon Marble days once a year?

Both concepts could easily go in the space of the Linen's and Things building, or that building could be torn down to build custom facilities for the two concepts mentioned.
Indecision is the root of evil.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCFutbol wrote: I know the owner Neal Palmer and he lives in KCK.
Palmer Candy Company is not based in KCK. That retail outlet is locally owned, but the company is a Sioux City, IA thing.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

OPIchabod wrote: First, I was under the impression that the Linen's and Things closings were associated with the company's bankruptcy.
Correct.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

trailerkid wrote: Palmer Candy Company is not based in KCK. That retail outlet is locally owned, but the company is a Sioux City, IA thing.
It's either his family or a real coincidence.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCFutbol wrote: It's either his family or a real coincidence.
It is his family. My dad asked the lady that owns the place. They are cousins or something with the Palmers of SUX. Palmer's is a throwback candy company "famous" for the Twin Bing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lane Bryant Outlet rox.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
the_shadow
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by the_shadow »

I don't know if this is old news or not but according to the Business journal.. RED sold Lot 22 Ballpark of Village West Book#5528 page 35  to CFT development...company has same address as Owners of Panda Express.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCPowercat wrote: Lane Bryant Outlet rox.

?????
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nota wrote:
?????
Making fun of the caliber of Legends retailers I'd assume.

They definitely put some stinkers out there, but overall they have a nice mix. I still believe a collection of higher end outlets (Burberry, Coach, Bose, etc.) would make that center a lot more desirable.
username
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by username »

I really love the Legends!  However, my second favorite restaurant, Texas Roadhouse, is noticeably absent in this area of town.  I work near one in Olathe, but they could use one up in the Legends too. 

For those that mock the Legends, I will say this...I live in the Plaza, and I would much rather shop in one of the Legends establishments than some of the ridiculous, overpriced, touristy stores in the Plaza.  Also, I would much rather dine at Cheeseburger In Paradise or Longhorn Steakhouse than Starkers...
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

trailerkid wrote:

They definitely put some stinkers out there, but overall they have a nice mix. I still believe a collection of higher end outlets (Burberry, Coach, Bose, etc.) would make that center a lot more desirable.
I agree, there is a great outlet mall in Palm Springs I wish they were modeled after.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the missus and i went to VW sunday night to partake in some skee-ball and pop-a-shot basketball at dave & busters.  we realized when we arrived that we were starving, but instantly decided against eating at d&b b/c the food there is awful.  we made our way across the sidewalk to the Corona Cantina.  the place looks expensively-done and smelled like the lobby of a hotel.  the place is huge, but there were only about five people there, giving the place a weird, sad vibe that was punctuated by the infernal strains of Sugar Ray and Jimmy Buffett.

the food was pretty good though.  the salsa was fresh, the blvd pale ale was cold (i was psyched to get blvd at a corona restaurant), the poblano/corn quesadillas were good, as were some shrimp fajitas my gf ordered - though pricey at $17. 

here is something i wonder about - do the suburbanites who go to Legends for family fun get scurred by the roving groups (on foot and car) of rather "urban" youths?  i was even heckled by one such youth in a low-rider corolla - a comment questioning my ability to be in a relationship with a lady more attractive than i am.  i didn't find the environment threatening at all, but it was a lot more "bannister mall circa 1996" than a lot of people might think (i suppose there has been at least one shooting at Legends). 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: i didn't find the environment threatening at all, but it was a lot more "bannister mall circa 1996" than a lot of people might think (i suppose there has been at least one shooting at Legends). 
I believe so - but I think it was some sort of domestic fracas perpetrated by some decidedly non-urban folk from Belton, Gardner or some-such. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

a kck resident was charged in the murder of a gardner man according to kmbc archives.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

for the record, i am not suggesting that legends has even the appearance of a bannister mall, or "trouble" area, just wondering if people think about that sort of thing out there or whether that is reserved for urban/mo-side destinations.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: a kck resident was charged in the murder of a gardner man according to kmbc archives.
Sounds right - I couldn't find any articles with the motive - but if my memory is correct I think it was a somebody is going out with somebody else's girlfriend-type situation. 
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

The tax subsidies just keep piling up at Legands. Almost five million in tax subsidies for an orange county chopper resturant.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the restaurants are:

Orange County Choppers America’s RoadHouse: an 8,000-square-foot restaurant with a “bikes, blues and barbecue” theme with motorcycles on turnstiles.

Hot Dog Hall of Fame: A 2,500-square-foot operation serving gourmet hot dogs — including two-foot-long dogs and turkey dogs — with a variety of mustards, plus sausages, dumplings, and nine kinds of french fries, including eggplant.

Pizza Market: A 3,000-square-foot “Italian market and wine and pizza place” will offer Italian staples and wine for sale, as well as New York-style pizza in a Brooklyn Italian market decor.

i liked this comment from the Star article:

"The dumbing down of Kansas City continues. . .can't wait til the jean shorts hall of fame opens!

*Posted by: Dottie Wyan"

:lol: